Emirates A340 Tail Strike

This is the second time they have done that in Melbourne in a little over a month - a lot of crews say they are overworked and atleast with the last one had problems with the companies economy aircraft power use rules.

This is the second time they have done that in Melbourne in a little over a month - a lot of crews say they are overworked and atleast with the last one had problems with the companies economy aircraft power use rules.

This thread was that tail strike from a month ago and then the post above yours was just added as a follow-up.

Only one tail strike in MEL.

a lot of crews say they are overworked and atleast with the last one had problems with the companies economy aircraft power use rules.

Not exactly sure what that means, but there was an Australian reporter who was aghast at the use of less than full takeoff thrust and was trying to play that up in an article she wrote. She has since been corrected. Assumed temperature takeoffs are normal for all modern transport category aircraft. It's not a problem nor is it mandatory. One can use TOGA thrust if they want or need.

The error in question has a lot of reasons behind it. I hope that CASA completes a full and thorough investigation and makes some strong recommendations to Emirates.

Typhoonpilot

And as quick as that, a lucrative career at a prestigious airline comes to an end......

I've read about this incident on various sites and it really stood out that both pilots resigned within a week of the tailstrike.

It was a simple error, and both pilots were possibly at fault. And now their careers are over at Emirates? Nobody was injured mind you.

Would ALPA have saved them? Possibly....but honestly I feel that if I did something similar at XJT, the union would have my back....I wouldn't fear being fired.

Back