Delta Eyes Major Widebody RFP For 747/767 Replacements

The 777X was basically designed for Emirates, which was longing for a high capacity ultra long range jet. It has way too much range for Delta's needs. It's also experimental in the fact that the wingspan is so long the wing tips will have to be folded in mechanically before parking.

Exactly. It's too much plane for Delta. Even the A350 is too much plane if they want a true small wide body replacement. Although, the A350 or 777-300ER is a great 747 replacement.

Boeing is ending production of the 777-200/300 when all its orders are completed. The 777-8/9 are now the future of that plane line. So what will Delta get to replace it's older 777's?

A350's?

It's also experimental in the fact that the wingspan is so long the wing tips will have to be folded in mechanically before parking.

That was the case when the 777 came out too. The folding wingtips is an option on the 777 that nobody has ordered to date.

If it's cheaper to paint new lines at gates than buy folding wingtips, you can bet what the bean counters will do.

C-series cannot successfully do the mission of the 757! The C-series is far more considered competition for the 737, A320's and ERJ-145's.
You need to reread the original post. The C-Series is the most viable airframe to fill the niche between the 717 and the 737-800. The 737-700 is not performing the way Southernjets wanted it to. Delta has let it be known its looking for new fleets especially to replace the three wide body fleet types and add a narrow body fleet type. Boeing needs to get back in the game or Airbus will eat them for breakfast!

You need to reread the original post. The C-Series is the most viable airframe to fill the niche between the 717 and the 737-800. The 737-700 is not performing the way Southernjets wanted it to. Delta has let it be known its looking for new fleets especially to replace the three wide body fleet types and add a narrow body fleet type. Boeing needs to get back in the game or Airbus will eat them for breakfast!
EMB E2?

Okay. The 737-700 has the most range of any of the NG 737's. How does Delta want to effectively utilize them and why are the 737's under performing to their (Delta's) specifications?

Okay. The 737-700 has the most range of any of the NG 737's. How does Delta want to effectively utilize them and why are the 737's under performing to their (Delta's) specifications?
From what I understand, DL got them for airports that require hot/high performance...Central America/SNA/etc. Sure they have the range, but at only 120-ish seats...at the same cost for flying an 800 with 160 seats. I don't imagine DL can charge the premium it needs to make the plane work on routes like ATL-SNA, when SWA flies the same plane at a lower cost. Sure SWA doesn't fly it non-stop, but when someone see's a $50-75 cost diff in the ticket, we've all seen how that works.

AS is getting out of the -700's for the same reason...we will soon have a HUGE gap between the 156 seat 737-800's and the 76 seat Q400...but I'm sure Skywest will be right along to help AS out there...(ducks!)

From what I understand, DL got them for airports that require hot/high performance...Central America/SNA/etc. Sure they have the range, but at only 120-ish seats...at the same cost for flying an 800 with 160 seats. I don't imagine DL can charge the premium it needs to make the plane work on routes like ATL-SNA, when SWA flies the same plane at a lower cost. Sure SWA doesn't fly it non-stop, but when someone see's a $50-75 cost diff in the ticket, we've all seen how that works.

AS is getting out of the -700's for the same reason...we will soon have a HUGE gap between the 156 seat 737-800's and the 76 seat Q400...but I'm sure Skywest will be right along to help AS out there...(ducks!)

I'll say it again, Boeing missed the mark on not making a true 757 replacement!

Airbus has already eaten them for breakfast.

Just as Airbus-o-copter (formerly Eurocopter) has eaten Bell and Boeing helicopters (formerly MD, formerly Hughes), for brunch.

Sadly.

My employer is absolutely in love with the 330 series.

The actual reasons? No clue.

Back