Delta wants to be the launch customer for the 797!

Probably not, because it's the same wing. What they should have done is redesign the wing, to give it the range of the 757. And now loaded it down with additional auxiliary fuel tanks.

But what do I know, I'm just a former A.Netter. And as @mikecweb would say. Airbus's stock hasn't tanked yet despite what the online CEO's are saying they should do.[/

They did change the wing slightly. Im no engineer or expert but the wing wouldn't need to be completely redesigned to increase the range.

No engineer here either, but the airfoil is a pretty big determiner in terms of range. When the 737 NG was transformed from the Classic, the wing was redesigned to its current iteration. For amongst other things, to eek out more range and performance than the wing on the Classic.

I was just going to say I hope Boeing throws everyone for a loop and names this one the 818.
397B8A88-E0DC-4491-8561-3F802F438541.jpeg

Business is business, its not personal. Any good business person is going to know that and take the emotion out of the situation. Boeing's attack on Bombardier was just business. Nothing personal against Delta they just got stuck as collateral damage as part of the politics.

Likewise Delta isn't going to cut off its nose to spite its own face, just to stick it to Boeing. More especially if Boeing is offering a product that fits their needs and has no competing alternative. Also, lastly United has been in on the 797 bandwagon since like day one. They're already all aboard. Because they too have a bunch of 757/767's that are aging and needs replacement. And because contrary to Chris Brown's pronouncements, they're loyal.

It wouldn't surprise me too much if Delta bought them, I just thought that we were referring to 'launch customer' being the first airline to fly them. I just figured the launch customer would likely be United if it was a domestic one as Delta's been favoring Airbus quite a bit over Boeing and American's been doing the same, but I guess we'll see who puts in the biggest order. I always do wonder what Southwest will ultimately do and how much longer they'll stay committed to flying just the 737 and if a plane like this could tempt them at all.

No engineer here either, but the airfoil is a pretty big determiner in terms of range. When the 737 NG was transformed from the Classic, the wing was redesigned to its current iteration. For amongst other things, to eek out more range and performance than the wing on the Classic.

Aeronautical engineer by training, aircraft financier/fleet planner by trade here.

The size of a wing is driven by many factors, the most dominant of which is the aircraft's maximum takeoff weight. Maximum takeoff weight is primarily driven by two factors: payload and range. The more payload you want to carry, the higher the MTOW and thus larger the wing will be. If you want to carry that payload over farther distances, you will need higher MTOW to carry more fuel and thus, will need a larger wing. There's a host of other nuances/factors that go into wing sizing, particularly takeoff performance, but MTOW is generally the biggest driver.

This MOM/797/NMA/whathaveyou won't be too far in passenger capacity from a 787-8, but it will be designed/optimized for a much lower range capability. As such, it should have a much smaller wing than the 787-8. The only reason it could creep up toward 787 levels would be for superior takeoff field performance, but remember - this comes at a penalty in cruise fuel burn, which is the 757's fatal flaw. The 757 has great field performance, but 737-900ER's and A321's eat it's lunch in fuel burn.

To answer both of your questions more directly, the wing of the A321neo or A321LR can probably withstand 3-5T more in MTOW before it is fully loaded/tapped out. This would translate into slightly more range capability if they keep adding auxiliary fuel tanks. Above that, it's takeoff field performance and cruise fuel performance will be unacceptable, so it will need either a new wing, new engines, or both.

There are several good blogs out that there explain aircraft performance very well for non-engineers, it's worth reading them if it interests you at all. Feel free to PM me if you're interested, I will send you the link.

Aeronautical engineer by training, aircraft financier/fleet planner by trade here.

The size of a wing is driven by many factors, the most dominant of which is the aircraft's maximum takeoff weight. Maximum takeoff weight is primarily driven by two factors: payload and range. The more payload you want to carry, the higher the MTOW and thus larger the wing will be. If you want to carry that payload over farther distances, you will need higher MTOW to carry more fuel and thus, will need a larger wing. There's a host of other nuances/factors that go into wing sizing, particularly takeoff performance, but MTOW is generally the biggest driver.

This MOM/797/NMA/whathaveyou won't be too far in passenger capacity from a 787-8, but it will be designed/optimized for a much lower range capability. As such, it should have a much smaller wing than the 787-8. The only reason it could creep up toward 787 levels would be for superior takeoff field performance, but remember - this comes at a penalty in cruise fuel burn, which is the 757's fatal flaw. The 757 has great field performance, but 737-900ER's and A321's eat it's lunch in fuel burn.

To answer both of your questions more directly, the wing of the A321neo or A321LR can probably withstand 3-5T more in MTOW before it is fully loaded/tapped out. This would translate into slightly more range capability if they keep adding auxiliary fuel tanks. Above that, it's takeoff field performance and cruise fuel performance will be unacceptable, so it will need either a new wing, new engines, or both.

There are several good blogs out that there explain aircraft performance very well for non-engineers, it's worth reading them if it interests you at all. Feel free to PM me if you're interested, I will send you the link.

Awesome write up. When I wrote that I was like @Ecl!pse in 5,4,3,2... :)

What took you so long, bro?

I'll believe it when I see it. Id be curious to know how the A321neos are flying. The biggest complaint with the 321 was that it was slow in a climb. I wonder if Aibus fixed that.

I don't have a lot of 321 NEO time but our LEAP NEOs seem to do ok in a climb...

I don't have a lot of 321 NEO time but our LEAP NEOs seem to do ok in a climb...

Same with the PW... when they aren't broken.

Can normally carry just under MTOW up to the mid 30s in 20 minutes or so. We also have derated engines so I'd guess at full power they are a bit better.

The big issue is that at heavy weights you run out of wing in the low 30s.

Same with the PW... when they aren't broken.

Can normally carry just under MTOW up to the mid 30s in 20 minutes or so. We also have derated engines so I'd guess at full power they are a bit better.

The big issue is that at heavy weights you run out of wing in the low 30s.

Why do you have derated engines?

Very interested to see what kind of single pilot or autonomous capability the latest and greatest airplanes to roll off the line will have.

Very interested to see what kind of single pilot or autonomous capability the latest and greatest airplanes to roll off the line will have.

Methinks status quo overall with some advancements akin to the more recent 'easy button' for emergency descents. Way too much R&D/time to invest in that short of a time span to get a potential great selling plane to market.

Back