Delta Airlines pilot sentenced to 10 months after showing up impaired to fly plane

Thanks. Wasnt sure if this was a case where “no detectable amount” had the book thrown at him, but yep…hope HIMS helps him out.

SOOOOO I was told, by the testing methods in the EU, they can trace amounts largely un (under?) detectable in the US.

Not saying this is the case at all, not saying that this is what happened, just some old dude advice when it comes to cocktails, the “8 Hour Rule” and “Any traceable amount” are two mutually exclusive rules.

SOOOOO I was told, by the testing methods in the EU, they can trace amounts largely un (under?) detectable in the US.

Not saying this is the case at all, not saying that this is what happened, just some old dude advice when it comes to cocktails, the “8 Hour Rule” and “Any traceable amount” are two mutually exclusive rules.
Personal preference, but I never got anyone who mentions the 8 hour rule. I want to be looooong in bed with the lights out, eyelids shut by 8 hours before van time, let alone report.

Personal preference, but I never got anyone who mentions the 8 hour rule. I want to be looooong in bed with the lights out, eyelids shut by 8 hours before van time, let alone report.
Yeah if you're really enjoying yourself the 8 hour rule is nowhere near enough. I personally stop a minimum of 12 hours before my wake up. But I also dont like dragging ass especially when self induced.

Yeah if you're really enjoying yourself the 8 hour rule is nowhere near enough. I personally stop a minimum of 12 hours before my wake up. But I also dont like dragging ass especially when self induced.
That much of a "good time" for me is only really enjoyable at home with no known responsibilities the next day. Plus, cocktails are way cheaper at home anyway :p

That much of a "good time" for me is only really enjoyable at home with no known responsibilities the next day. Plus, cocktails are way cheaper at home anyway :p
Exactly, we've all been through a lot to get to this point in our careers to be stressing watching the clock or second guessing our fitness in the morning.

But dang hangovers are getting worse the older I get. WTF

Exactly, we've all been through a lot to get to this point in our careers to be stressing watching the clock or second guessing our fitness in the morning.

But dang hangovers are getting worse the older I get. WTF
Mornings suck bad enough, the last thing I need is to feel like crap on top of it.

Especially in part 121 (and I assume part 135) operations- at every one I've worked at, the GOM/FOM stipulates either 10 or 12 hours, so there's no such thing as an "8 hour rule" for alcohol.

Apparently at my last company, which had a 10 hour rule, there were people who said that was just a "suggestion" because it went above and beyond the 8 hour rule in part 91!

Especially in part 121 (and I assume part 135) operations- at every one I've worked at, the GOM/FOM stipulates either 10 or 12 hours, so there's no such thing as an "8 hour rule" for alcohol.

Apparently at my last company, which had a 10 hour rule, there were people who said that was just a "suggestion" because it went above and beyond the 8 hour rule in part 91!
I don't think I've ever worked at a 121 that had a more restrictive rule than 8. I've also never met a single person who would even dream of getting close to that. People are far and wide adults with good judgement.

I don't think I've ever worked at a 121 that had a more restrictive rule than 8.

That surprises me- at my current employer as well as my first airline, it is/ was 12 hours. At C5 it was 10 hours. I had no idea that was unusual for a 121 carrier.

I haven't seen anything irresponsible at my current company. Of course, most of our overnights are pretty long. But at the regionals I definitely saw people push the boundaries at the very least.

View attachment 77100

I don't, but a looooooot of people carry 'flasks'.

Plus, the challenging thing is that it's not illegal and often, in France, you'll raid the local grocery store for some value-priced wine to bring home.

I brought six bottles back from CDG one time, the TSA freaked out and announced loudly, "this pilot has six bottles of wine in his bag" so I called the supervisor over to have a chat about it.
I was going to say my Europe trips I probably look sketch with what I have in my bag on some intl layovers. Belgium beers, Italian wine, Portuguese wine…a lot stuffed in there. But I assume most of these countries are use to it. Perks of the jobs sometimes with traveling.

I was going to say my Europe trips I probably look sketch with what I have in my bag on some intl layovers. Belgium beers, Italian wine, Portuguese wine…a lot stuffed in there. But I assume most of these countries are use to it. Perks of the jobs sometimes with traveling.

Going through airport security in CGN around Christmas time a few years ago. The guy working the x-ray looks at me and goes “gluhwein! Nice!” And gives me a big thumbs up.

That surprises me- at my current employer as well as my first airline, it is/ was 12 hours. At C5 it was 10 hours. I had no idea that was unusual for a 121 carrier.

I haven't seen anything irresponsible at my current company. Of course, most of our overnights are pretty long. But at the regionals I definitely saw people push the boundaries at the very least.

It seems like most regionals are more restrictive. The regional I flew for was 12 hours. The place I'm at now is 8 hours.

10 hours at my shop. But as others have said, i reserve my vices for days where I've got no adulting to do the next day.

Back