Deep Thoughts: Pre-employment simulator checks

That’s where I’m going to call BS. Pre-job sim ride, the company has next to zero invested in the person. After they’ve been hired, the company has money tied up in it, and wants to see a return on that investment.

They lived to regret not cutting that loss. At least 2 other people didn't have that opportunity.

Some airlines have pre-employment sim rides, some do not.

I'm torn. Part of me says 'Well, what a great way to see if someone can actually fly"

but on the other hand "Well, what a great way to see if someone can actually fly… A FRASCA and we don't fly Frascas so what's the point?"

Thoughts?

The second you start sim checks again at Delta as part of the interview, you’re gonna have TONS of “Harry’s Sim Prep” pop up.

“The complete guide and sim prep with actual simulator time to ace your Delta interview!” WE HAZ GUARANTEEZ!

The second you start sim checks again at Delta as part of the interview, you’re gonna have TONS of “Harry’s Sim Prep” pop up.

“The complete guide and sim prep with actual simulator time to ace your Delta interview!” WE HAZ GUARANTEEZ!
That's a very good point.

So, on top of:
-takeoff and landing performance and airplane systems
-difficulty in completing normal procedures
-unsatisfactory performance in CRM, threat and error management, nonprecision approaches, steep turns, and judgment
-nervous, had “very low” situational awareness, overcontrolled the airplane, did not work well with the other
pilot, omitted an emergency checklist during an abnormal event, and exceeded a flap speed
-not thinking ahead, and, when he realized that he needed to do something, he often did something inappropriate, like push the wrong button

...when the poop hit the fan, he wasn't even competent at attitude instrument flying on the day it mattered most.

All the above were comments from his 767 training. That same section of the report gets even worse (if you can believe it) when they spoke to the instructors at the regionals.

You don't think a pre-employment sim ride would've caught some of this? That guy shouldn't have been any closer to an airplane than at an airshow.

No, I don’t. Again, he passed seven sim sessions, a check ride, and IOE. This idea that a basic sim eval would have stopped anything is pure fantasy.

Let’s not forget, sim evals had gouge so deep you could drown in it. An absolutely ass pilot could spend a couple of weeks and still mail the interview sim.

I forgot about this, but you’re absolutely right. The entire AirTran sim eval (when we were still doing them) was posted a dozen times over on WillFlyForFood. And there were places that did prep sessions where you could run the profile on a Fresca.

Let’s not forget, sim evals had gouge so deep you could drown in it. An absolutely ass pilot could spend a couple of weeks and still mail the interview sim.
Ideally that’s kind of the point right? You want people who want the job enough to study for it. Like, that’s part of the exercise. Are people willing to put in the effort to study any? Because I bet the people who do consequently do better in training and on the line.

Of course this is all nonsense until we study it and do some science. Which appears to not be a priority here. Our opinions on this don’t matter - we need to do some testing with HR and the training department and see what scheme works best, and none of it really matters if the training department is willing to push terrible pilots through.

I forgot about this, but you’re absolutely right. The entire AirTran sim eval (when we were still doing them) was posted a dozen times over on WillFlyForFood. And there were places that did prep sessions where you could run the profile on a Fresca.
AQP tells you exactly what’s going to be on the LOE, and the training syllabus gives you the lesson plan for each event, and people still struggle.

AQP tells you exactly what’s going to be on the LOE, and the training syllabus gives you the lesson plan for each event, and people still struggle.

The incentive structure is a little different there. There’s a reason that people pay many thousands of dollars for interview prep. It’s a multi-million dollar opportunity. In AQP, people are pretty comfortable that they’ll be just fine.

It does suck when your partner hasn't even put in minimal effort/prep. Sure, you can probably pass without doing much but dayum it can get painful at times.

I thought you were on vacation?

There is zero talk of simulator checks ever coming to SouthernJets.

I think it would behoove you to decouple people from their employers. You don't speak for "907 Airways" any more than I speak for SouthernJets and if you read careful, I'm theoretically 'spitballing' some thoughts I was having.

I thought you were on vacation?

There is zero talk of simulator checks ever coming to SouthernJets.

I think it would behoove you to decouple people from their employers. You don't speak for "907 Airways" any more than I speak for SouthernJets and if you read careful, I'm theoretically 'spitballing' some thoughts I was having.

Back. Left Monday, back Saturday. Kids only get one week off for spring break.

Don’t know what you mean about decouple. My comment on sim prep shops popping up applies for anyone. AA or UA could start a sim eval, and you’ll see sim prep companies prop up.

Every industry has their 'fluffers', sadly.

I had to look up the slang. Gross!

Never been on an interview team. Basing it solely on my interview at VX (the group interview part) and following up with others and sharing what our individual interviews were like, I realized that pilots interview like [4 letter s word]. Might be decent people, but terrible at telling stories. Or behaving what is considered normal. There’s a reason so many different prep companies exist.

That’s why I think if anyone starts sim checks again, you’re going to see sim prep shops prop up.

No, I don’t. Again, he passed seven sim sessions, a check ride, and IOE. This idea that a basic sim eval would have stopped anything is pure fantasy.
So following your argument through, the next logical thing I guess you’ll say is that he was a competent pilot. Am I right?

There are cracks in the system, and he slipped through a bunch of them and made a hole in the ground.

Back