Commuting ?: Economy Overbooked, First Avail - pax upgrades?

We don't have a business ZED deal with them. But I've been left behind as a jumpseater before when the jumpseat was full and there was only room in business/mint.

Ummmmm, then why didn't the Jumpseater take the MINT seat?

So weird.

Because they weren't allowed to. The only seats they could go in were either the jumpseats or economy.
Yeah. That’s a thing where even our own pilots can’t get upgraded to Mint. Suspect it’s going to be a factor in our next contract.

yah, I can probably count on one hand the times I’ve seen an empty first class seat at the Eskimo, either on a commute or a trip I’m operating. Errybody and their brother has some sort of status, especially going to/from/within the state of alaska

I'd bet anyone $1M that the load closeout will have "14 in first"........there is statistically no chance that number is ever different, even on an empty flight

Because they weren't allowed to. The only seats they could go in were either the jumpseats or economy.

I can still remember learning this 30 years ago, 1994. Back then, we could j/s on UAL as a 135 operator even without a formal agreement, but we were bottom priority. UAL was only allowed to take as many jumpseaters, as there were jumpseats on the aircraft. No more and couldn’t toss them in the back. I went over to America West, and was told when trying to list at the gate that the jumpseats were taken. I was about to say thank you and walk away to find something else, but the gate agent said there was 65 or so open seats in the back. When I boarded and after checking in up front, went to the back and there must have been 20 other pilots from other carriers jumpseating and seated back there.

I miss Northwest Airlines (one word).

Half the time I was a jumpseater on them I felt like I was riding in a seat I shouldn’t have been in.

One time going to Amsterdam I introduced myself to the captain and he asked where I was sitting. Told him I was assigned 56k. He said “of, F that.” Called the purser and had them find me a seat in business.

Fast forward to the flight back home and I’m going through security in Amsterdam. Purser recognized me and asked where I was sitting. I told him, and he instructed me to come to business after we board and he’d find something for me. He ended up kicking a nonrev to the back and giving me his seat. I insisted that it was completely unnecessary, but he said it wasn’t up to me. Thankfully a seat was left open and the nonrev was moved back up.

I’ve had decent experiences on delta too, but the NW crews were the best at taking care of other crew.

My summer/winter commute on Delta A321s are becoming “we don’t know if we can get you on.”

Payload optimization.

Y’all got problems I’d you can’t take 190+1 from DTW to LAX with no alternate /good weather.

My summer/winter commute on Delta A321s are becoming “we don’t know if we can get you on.”

Payload optimization.

Y’all got problems I’d you can’t take 190+1 from DTW to LAX with no alternate /good weather.

Someone correct me but my understanding was that Delta took delivery of the A321s without ACT tanks. If so, that would make DTW to LAX on the edge of the range and routinely up against max tanks. NEOs and A321s with ACTs can do DTW to LAX with no problem.

yah, I can probably count on one hand the times I’ve seen an empty first class seat at the Eskimo, either on a commute or a trip I’m operating. Errybody and their brother has some sort of status, especially going to/from/within the state of alaska

Lucky night. I get to see carpet. [No, get your mind out of the gutter]!

IMG_0440.jpeg

IMG_0441.jpeg

I can still remember learning this 30 years ago, 1994. Back then, we could j/s on UAL as a 135 operator even without a formal agreement, but we were bottom priority. UAL was only allowed to take as many jumpseaters, as there were jumpseats on the aircraft. No more and couldn’t toss them in the back. I went over to America West, and was told when trying to list at the gate that the jumpseats were taken. I was about to say thank you and walk away to find something else, but the gate agent said there was 65 or so open seats in the back. When I boarded and after checking in up front, went to the back and there must have been 20 other pilots from other carriers jumpseating and seated back there.
Wow. Now that you mention it I remember that. That's how the legacies were. Cactus was the best. SWA too.

Wow. Now that you mention it I remember that. That's how the legacies were. Cactus was the best. SWA too.

Was a whole different time back then, as you surely remember. Well before most of the people here were flying professionally. Could just go through security without a ticket, and head to whichever gate was serving the flight you wanted to JS on, and list right there with the gate agent.

With UAL, they obviously had their priority list for who bumped who on the JS, but the last priority was “all other 121/135 operators”, which as how our little 135 cargo operation was able to JS on them. America West was similar, though we had some kind of agreement with them, as we hauled on-demand overnight aircraft parts for them out of our base in PHX, if they had a plane break at an outstation and needed a part. I can remember a number of times getting called to come in late night, pick up the Chieftain or Caravan, taxi across the north runway at PHX to America West’s Mx hangar, where a part was waiting to be picked up to take to LAX, SLC, BUR or ABQ.

Last edited:
I'd bet anyone $1M that the load closeout will have "14 in first"........there is statistically no chance that number is ever different, even on an empty flight
Isn’t it 16 for the 900/MAX and 12 for the 700? Can’t remember which the 800 is

I miss Northwest Airlines (one word).

Half the time I was a jumpseater on them I felt like I was riding in a seat I shouldn’t have been in.

One time going to Amsterdam I introduced myself to the captain and he asked where I was sitting. Told him I was assigned 56k. He said “of, F that.” Called the purser and had them find me a seat in business.

Fast forward to the flight back home and I’m going through security in Amsterdam. Purser recognized me and asked where I was sitting. I told him, and he instructed me to come to business after we board and he’d find something for me. He ended up kicking a nonrev to the back and giving me his seat. I insisted that it was completely unnecessary, but he said it wasn’t up to me. Thankfully a seat was left open and the nonrev was moved back up.

I’ve had decent experiences on delta too, but the NW crews were the best at taking care of other crew.
When I was at Airnet before we got into CASS Northwest was always the best. So friendly and accommodating especially for a naive freight dog just trying to get to work.

Back