Cirrus's are KIP

DPApilot

GUYSH! GUYSH! GUYSH!
can't link it cause I'm on my iPhone, so can someone reply with the link from Aero-news please?
Thanks

Released like an hour ago

KNOWN ICING PROTECTION FOR THE CIRRUS SR22 HAS ARRIVED!

For a few years the Cirrus SR22 has been available with basic ice protection, meant only to buy pilots a bit of time and security while exiting an inadvertent icing encounter. It was never intended to allow pilots to deliberately penetrate visible moisture when icing is known or forecast. Too often, this lack of known icing capability hindered aircraft utility and dispatch rates.

2009 Cirrus SR22 and Turbo models are available with Cirrus Known Ice Protection - a TKS based weeping-wing anti-ice system that is equipped for certification* for Flight into Known Icing conditions (FIKI).
*Certification available, Q2 '09

The introduction of Cirrus Known Ice Protection was just a matter of time, and the minute you activate the robust, FIKI-approved TKS system, you’ll know it’s different from the basic ice protection on non-FIKI aircraft. Cirrus Known Ice Protection is an actual FAA re-certification of the SR22 and Turbo to permit pilots to legally fly into known icing conditions.

FIKI.png

This certification required much more than adding an extra pump and fluid volume to the basic system. When activated, the Cirrus Known Ice Protection system thoroughly and evenly coats flight surfaces, including the vertical stabilizer and elevator tips, with anti-ice fluid. The FIKI-approved system incorporates new elements like an angle of attack indicator on the PFD, ice lights with split prisms on either side of the aircraft that illuminate both the wings and horizontal stabilizer in low-light conditions, and backup pumps and filters for fault-tolerant and redundant operation. With the two small nozzles positioned just below the windscreen, in addition to any fluid slung rearward by the propeller, the pilot is assured of an unobstructed forward view. Endurance for the system, now indicated on the Cirrus Perspective MFD, is increased to 150 minutes at Normal flow rates, 75 minutes when High is selected, and a new, Max rate has been added affording a total of 37.5 minutes of anti-ice capability, in two-minute bursts, during periods of higher accretion.

Cirrus again delivers increased aircraft safety and utility. With Known Ice Protection on the new SR22 and Turbo, pilots can now launch or continue flight with the peace of mind that they’re both legal and safe when icing is forecast or present.

The new SR22 and Turbo for 2009, bringing safety, security, value and style to a new altitude.

They also added windscreen protection, elevator tip TKS, vertical stabilizer protection, and increased capacity.

Hardy a "lights and a gage" change.

Does Cirrus have to make their own acronyms for everything on their airplane? CAPS, KIP. Just call it a parachute and an anti-icing system for goodness sake. This is the marketing that sucks people into thinking a mediocre airplane is the next 747.

Legal FIKI or not, I ain't going into anything more than a thin layer with CAVU above and below.

Does Cirrus have to make their own acronyms for everything on their airplane? CAPS, KIP. Just call it a parachute and an anti-icing system for goodness sake.

LOL On every other airplane including mine it's known as TKS. It's been around since WW II, I don't think Cirrus gets to change the name.:rolleyes:

I will say from personal experience it works really well. Just turn it on before you get ice and don't run out of fluid. For a single like a 210 it's much better then boots IMO.

Now if they add 2 seats and pressurization it will be as capable as mine.:)

Does Cirrus have to make their own acronyms for everything on their airplane? CAPS, KIP. Just call it a parachute and an anti-icing system for goodness sake. This is the marketing that sucks people into thinking a mediocre airplane is the next 747.

Seriously. I'm TFO (totally fin overwhelmed) by the RAL (ridiculous acronym lovin) goin on in the GAW (general aviation world). Like somehow as long as it's a TWA (three word acroynym) it makes your system somehow MLTTO (More legtimiate than the other). Give me a freaking break. Get a grip. I swear to God, we're on the cusp of the invention of the "tactical" light aircraft. It'll have an aluminum flashlight mounted on a picatinny rail over the cockpit and cost three times what the "standard" version costs.

Seriously. I'm TFO (totally fin overwhelmed) by the RAL (ridiculous acronym lovin) goin on in the GAW (general aviation world). Like somehow as long as it's a TWA (three word acroynym) it makes your system somehow MLTTO (More legtimiate than the other). Give me a freaking break. Get a grip. I swear to God, we're on the cusp of the invention of the "tactical" light aircraft. It'll have an aluminum flashlight mounted on a picatinny rail over the cockpit and cost three times what the "standard" version costs.
Oohhh Giggity!

where do I pre-order?

Okay - potentially dumb question from the peanut gallery here....

Places like Flight Express use 210s for doing freight hauling and the 210 is basically a high-performance single.

As airplanes like the Cirrus get older and thus cheaper, would we ever see the day where they might take the back seats out and make a freight variant?

No idea what the useful load difference is, but how are you going to load freight into an SR22?

Sure in 20 years. I don't see any reason why not.

That is if they get unlimited airframe life with no major ADs for the next 20 years.

Okay - potentially dumb question from the peanut gallery here....

Places like Flight Express use 210s for doing freight hauling and the 210 is basically a high-performance single.

As airplanes like the Cirrus get older and thus cheaper, would we ever see the day where they might take the back seats out and make a freight variant?
In 20 years my 210 will be 62 years old, and probably still flying.

Why mess with a good thing?

No idea what the useful load difference is, but how are you going to load freight into an SR22?
Just a W.A.G...but I'm going to say holes cut into the fuselage with hinged panels that cover the openings and probably some sort of latch mechanism to keep those panels secured against the fuselage. Maybe clear plexiglass placed onto these panels so the occupants can look outside.:D:p

-mini

Through the door:D

I think you can fold the seat foreward. If not you can stand where you put you feet for the back seat straight up and your head would be sticking out the door. Anyways, you are a freight dog, where there is a will there is a way.

A decked out 22 has about a 500 payload with full tanks (100 gallons). Striped down you could get another 100 pounds or so, that would be about 400 pounds of crap with a pilot and full tanks.

Through the door:D

I think you can fold the seat foreward. If not you can stand where you put you feet for the back seat straight up and your head would be sticking out the door. Anyways, you are a freight dog, where there is a will there is a way.

A decked out 22 has about a 500 payload with full tanks (100 gallons). Striped down you could get another 100 pounds or so, that would be about 400 pounds of crap with a pilot and full tanks.

Wouldn't it be 600 pounds of crap?
500 + stripped 100 = 600?
:)

Back