Challenger crashed onto highway in Naples FL

Looks like a HopAJet operated 604, N823KD.

The outfit I worked for has a base at Naples, and they operate a few Challengers (3 of them last I knew). I’ve been in and out of that airport hundreds of times. This thread title put my heart in my throat.

I circled where I think they ended up on I-75:

IMG_0431.jpeg

One of the news services had audio from ATC comms, and the pilot declaring an emergency and saying “we’ve lost both engines, we’re not going to make the runway”. No panic in his voice…

One of the news services had audio from ATC comms, and the pilot declaring an emergency and saying “we’ve lost both engines, we’re not going to make the runway”. No panic in his voice…
Hard to listen to knowing you’re likely not going to make it.

As of 4:40, the Collier County Sheriff's Office (CCSO) has confirmed two known fatalities. Officials said three people survived the crash.”

ATC clip here:
View: https://twitter.com/thenewarea51/status/1756061307197923666

The word is that the passengers survived and the pilots perished. Also rumored that the landing was good, but they collided with an SUV on rollout.
The cockpit section looks smashed, so that would check out, unfortunately

Landing on a highway? Like the Southern DC9 back in the 70s, it’s fraught with disaster. Southern hit a station wagon, took out an entire family.

I hope the SUV people made it. It would suck more if people on the ground died.

Landing on a highway? Like the Southern DC9 back in the 70s, it’s fraught with disaster. Southern hit a station wagon, took out an entire family.

I hope the SUV people made it. It would suck more if people on the ground died.
If both your engines quit on final…….

If they went for the highway, it must have seemed like a better bet than a neighborhood or whatever else is off the end of the runway. Hopefully none of us ever have to make that choice.

I'm not going to speculate but how do both engines fail simultaneously on approach? Is there something in the checklist that might've been missed or improperly performed? The black smoke and survivors is an indication that they didn't run out of fuel. Why would both engines fail? Time will tell...

All it takes is fuel vapors to cause a fire. Not to mention there is a car underneath that Challenger (so I am told) so it could be fuel from that. Can you accidentally shut both engines off accidentally in a Challenger? Its either birds, bad fuel or no fuel, I can't think of much else...

The precedent has been established. 600 series Challengers are good airplanes, I've reluctantly worked on some and it's hard for my small smooth brain to contemplate a double engine failure. This is a 604? It's Bombardiers answer to the G-IV. There are many differences between the two aircraft and the administration of the concepts are different but the concepts are identical. It has to be a fuel thing. Challengers carry fuel in the fuselage, other than any of the IAI airplanes Gulfstream carries the entirety of their fuel in the wings and unless specifically manipulated will operate as two entirely separate systems. Losing both engines during the approach seems almost impossible to me.

All it takes is fuel vapors to cause a fire. Not to mention there is a car underneath that Challenger (so I am told) so it could be fuel from that. Can you accidentally shut both engines off accidentally in a Challenger? Its either birds, bad fuel or no fuel, I can't think of much else...
I wonder if it’s possible to have fuel starvation and still have lots of fuel on board?

Can you accidentally shut off any engine in any airplane? Probably not, they tend to engineer these contraptions so that that's a deliberate action.

Back