1 dead in plane crash in Oxnard field near Camarillo Airport

A Life Aloft

A pilot died when a small plane crashed into a strawberry field and caught fire in north Oxnard Friday morning after clipping a building nearby.

The crash was reported around 8 a.m. in a field on the north side of Highway 101 near Del Norte Boulevard, according to Ventura County Fire Department reports. The site is west of the Camarillo Airport.

No other victims were found during a grid search on the ground and from the air using a helicopter, Ventura County fire officials said. Two urban search-and-rescue dogs were called in to search the strawberry field for other potential victims, but the dogs had been released before noon.

Firefighters at the scene described finding a wide debris field and said the plane was fully involved with fire when they arrived.

Ventura County firefighter Andy VanSciver confirmed shortly before 9 a.m. that one person was aboard and died in the crash. VanSciver, an agency spokesman, could not release more details on the death.

He also said the plane clipped a building on the south side of Highway 101 before going down in the field on the north side of the freeway, east of Del Norte. Crews found debris from the plane on the roof of a building on the south of the freeway.

Capt. Brian McGrath, another agency spokesman, said the Oxnard Fire Department was the lead agency and county fire had been called in to assist.

The Federal Aviation Administration had also been contacted to investigate.

Information from FlightAware indicated the single-engine, four-seat fixed wing craft had taken off from Camarillo Airport around 7:59 a.m. and had been headed to Phoenix Deer Valley Airport. The plane was listed as a Mooney M-20 Turbo registered in Arizona.

Sean Herder, operations supervisor for Ventura County's Department of Airports, confirmed the FlightAware departure information.

The pilot had arrived at the Camarillo Airport at 11:38 a.m. Thursday, Herder said. He had flown in from Big Bear.

Herder was not aware of any distress call before Friday's crash.

The plane hit a commercial building in the 3500 block of Camino Avenue near Trabajo Drive, said Oxnard Fire Battalion Chief Steve McNaughten. The site is just east of Del Norte on the south side of the freeway.

The city of Oxnard yellow-tagged the building, he said. The extent of damage wasn't immediately known.

The building was occupied during the incident, but no injuries were reported, McNaughten said.

The crash was on private property, and small plumes of smoke from the plane could still be seen from about a quarter mile away.

The incident impacted traffic on Highway 101 through the corridor Friday morning, with the northbound side still backed up as of 11:45 a.m. The right lane of the northbound 101 was closed, officials said, leaving two northbound lanes open.

1654896300806.png

Visibility was good, I have no idea how the hell he managed to hit a building.

Completely unrelated other than mentioning DVT, but I ferried a PA32 nonstop from DVT to Dallas before. Full tanks, tailwinds and flying max range power settings help.

It’s been a while since I’ve flown an M20, but that doesn’t seem very far to me. As far as leaning… what are you even asking? It’s a turbo…

Like, what are you even trying to imply here??
Yah that’s like….2 hours in a Mooney, what is that 20-30 gallons depending on what engine? I mean it’s always possible and probably still the number 1 reason for loss of power but the flight doesn’t really innately make me suspicious

I'm really confused. This aircraft crashed a minute after takeoff and you're speculating that the distance to an airport that's well within its cruising range is somehow a factor? Like, if there were four aboard, yeah sure, that's a factor... but unless the pilot was 600+lbs, I can't imagine why the distance to the destination is a factor.

The entire M20 series sips gas relative to its speed, and the turbo keeps things fairly simple for the takeoff regime. Unless something has gone horribly weird, you're not going to cause a problem running full rich on takeoff.

Can someone please break this down for me like I'm five?

I'm really confused. This aircraft crashed a minute after takeoff and you're speculating that the distance to an airport that's well within its cruising range is somehow a factor? Like, if there were four aboard, yeah sure, that's a factor... but unless the pilot was 600+lbs, I can't imagine why the distance to the destination is a factor.

The entire M20 series sips gas relative to its speed, and the turbo keeps things fairly simple for the takeoff regime. Unless something has gone horribly weird, you're not going to cause a problem running full rich on takeoff.

Can someone please break this down for me like I'm five?

I think that poster was merely wondering out loud whether a Mooney can make that trip distance, not necessarily implying it was a factor in the actual accident. At least that’s how I was reading it.

Well I used to fly 206s from RHV to DVT in one leg sooooo.....

Depends on that person’s aircraft experience. I assume a Mooney can do CMA to DVT in one leg, but that’s just an assumption in comparing it to other GA singles I’ve flown in my time. If I was asked to prove that a Mooney can make that flight, I’d have to look it up.

I think that poster was merely wondering out loud whether a Mooney can make that trip distance,
Pretty much any M20 has a realistic 500+nm range with IFR reserve, afaik. They're built to get up and go far, sip gas, and not carry very much.

not necessarily implying it was a factor in the actual accident. At least that’s how I was reading it.
Uh oh #DVT. Hopefully not in one hop?
350nm - did they fill the tanks or depart on the tabs, did they lean - all valid questions

"did they" carries an implication that it's not just wondering out loud if a Mooney can safely make DVT in one leg. Yeah, it's a valid question to ask how they fueled it—I guess—although as far as I know the Mooney doesn't even have tabs. Yeah, you can ask if they leaned in the <two minutes between takeoff and crash, and that's a valid question—I guess—but not in context of an aircraft accident.

To me this seems to immediately imply that the owner was doing something sketchy and screwed up. But like, there's no evidence of that at all. It could have been a turbo failure, a fuel feed failure, contamination, or any number of other things that are far more likely than running out of fuel.

Lastly, airplanes without fuel in them tend not to burn very long.

Regardless of the high daytime temps we've been experiencing here in SoCal our coastal areas still wake up to what is normally referred to as "June Gloom", there was reasonable fog at the time of the pilots departure from KCMA but apparently it had lifted enough for the tower to clear the pilot for takeoff. Coastal weather this time of year can be iffy. Two hours later and he'd probably be watching TV at home tonight.

Pretty much any M20 has a realistic 500+nm range with IFR reserve, afaik. They're built to get up and go far, sip gas, and not carry very much.

Definitely some good range there. Makes up for being packed inside the thing like a spam can :) The only Mooney Ive ever gotten a flight in was a Mooney Porsche and just around the far north PHX area for an hour. Nice bird overall.

Probably too early to know what would cause the impact with a structure and the ground. But could be any of a number of possible factors.

Definitely some good range there. Makes up for being packed inside the thing like a spam can :) The only Mooney Ive ever gotten a flight in was a Mooney Porsche and just around the far north PHX area for an hour. Nice bird overall.

Probably too early to know what would cause the impact with a structure and the ground. But could be any of a number of possible factors.
I recall as a very young line service dude going down to one of our t-hangars to pull out and fuel a Porsche Mooney, the owner was a baller and didn't want to actually do anything other than jump in his plane and leave after he parked his car in the hangar. The airplane was cool, but the treasure in the back of the hangar was cooler. Under a cover was a 356B GT90, it was stuffed in the back portion of the t-hangar. I never touched it until one day the customer was at his hangar and noticed a dent on the door of the 356 and someone had to go figure it out. I drove down on a tug and assessed the situation. It was fairly obvious that someone had bumped the static wick on the rudder of the Mooney into the car when it was being put away. The problem was although we would always pull the airplane out for him we only put it back into the hangar half of the time, he kept odd hours. I'm not sure what ever happened to the car, the airplane or the owner but at that time I thought all three might've been the coolest • I'd ever seen.

I recall as a very young line service dude going down to one of our t-hangars to pull out and fuel a Porsche Mooney, the owner was a baller and didn't want to actually do anything other than jump in his plane and leave after he parked his car in the hangar. The airplane was cool, but the treasure in the back of the hangar was cooler. Under a cover was a 356B GT90, it was stuffed in the back portion of the t-hangar. I never touched it until one day the customer was at his hangar and noticed a dent on the door of the 356 and someone had to go figure it out. I drove down on a tug and assessed the situation. It was fairly obvious that someone had bumped the static wick on the rudder of the Mooney into the car when it was being put away. The problem was although we would always pull the airplane out for him we only put it back into the hangar half of the time, he kept odd hours. I'm not sure what ever happened to the car, the airplane or the owner but at that time I thought all three might've been the coolest • I'd ever seen.

I’ve just never been a Mooney fan, the plane, the design, cramped. Ironically, we had an M20 Mooney go missing here a number of months back on a flight from Marana/ AVQ to French Valley/F70. Searched along the probable route of flight for the first 1/4 of his flightpath that would have ran through our patrol areas. Found the wreckage 4 days later in the middle of nowhere desert flats in a low angle / high speed impact, pilot obviously fatal. Made my non-preference for Mooney’s that much more, after landing and documenting the crash site.

Back