CFI checkride passed

Ashneil

Passed my CFI checkride on my first try! A lot of guys on jetcareers helped me out on what to study, so thank you guys. Here is a write up for people about to take theirs.

This was with Indianapolis FSDO with examiner Jim Martin.

Oral: 3.5 hours

He said the ride isn't as hard as some people make it seem. And the oral was going to be more of a conversation and discussion. He did everything he could to make the checkride as smooth as possible and he turned out to be right about the checkride being easier than expected.
First 20 - 30 minutes went into doing all the paper work and showing him all my endorsements. While showing him my endorsements for the ride, I had to explain what each was for and refer to the reg in the FARs. Then we went through the airplanes maintenance logs to show him that the airplane is airworthy. I had to mention all the checks required and when the next one would be due. I was very brief in explaining the maintenance and airworthiness requirements. Then we started with the oral exam. First was FOI. He said that he felt learning theory and behavior stuff was instinctive stuff even if we may not know the exact terminology so he wouldn't test me on that. We did have a small discussion about our shared interest in psychology though. He then went on to ask questions on critiques and evaluations. What is the difference between the two? What makes a good critique? Then asked me scenario type questions. Then we went into flight instructor characteristics and responsibilities. I listed some traits of a good flight instructor. We talked about acceptance of all students but when to draw the line. How to identify abnormal reactions to stress. We discussed effective ways to plan a lesson. What should each lesson include?
He then told me to pretend he was a new student pilot and he wanted me to write down, on a white board, every endorsement I could give leading all the way to the private checkride. He also said to write down the corresponding reg to each endorsement. And he left for about 15 - 20 minutes. I referenced AC 61-65 but keep in mind that this does not have every single endorsement. When he came back we ran through them. Briefly talked about each endorsement and its reg. He said I missed two which are commonly forgotten. The endorsement stating that training has been given after a failed checkride. And one for allowing a student to solo a multi engine airplane assuming a cfi is onboard (for insurance purposes).
He then had me teach him a lesson on ailerons. I talked about their function, the aerodynamics involved, and adverse yaw. I did all this while drawing illustrations on the white board.
Then I had to teach him a lesson on FARs, just a brief overview.
Then he pulled up a PIREP and a TAF and he had me teach him one of each.
Finally he told me to prepare a lesson plan on steep turns and he left for another 20 minutes.
I had my lesson plans already made so I took it out. I also pulled up the youtube video created by UND on steep turns. I turned to the aerodynamics of a turn page in my PHAK. And finally took out my airplane flying handbook and turned to the steep turn page and waited on him. I used all my references to teach him the lesson. He stopped me halfway saying he was satisfied.
That concluded our oral part and he said he had nothing negative to say at all and that he was very pleased.
The flight was 1.2 hours.
We broke for lunch and came back in an hour. He made me do a weight in balance for the flight and had me teach him a preflight. We then jumped in the plane started her up and went on. He said most people fail on either the landings or insufficient checklist usage so he told me we would do landings first and he would be keeping an eye on my checklist usage. While taxiing, I talked about proper technique, aileron deflection, and runway incursions. We did a a series of take offs and full stop taxi back landings including normal soft short and a forward to slip approach. We then went out and did slow flight to an approach to landing stall, a trim stall, steep turns, and a chandelle. For slowflight and the steep turn I momentarily got off my altitude a bit but was still within commercial standards and talked about why I was off and what I was doing to fix it. He then made me do an emergency descent (not an engine failure). I told him that I have never done one and he was surprised. So he proceeded to teach me one which was cool. I did eights on pylons. Throughout the entire flight I stressed on visual scanning and collision avoidance He said he was very pleased and told me to head back to the airport. We then did a go around. And he told me to do a normal landing and that I didn't even have to teach it. I don't know if it was genuine conversation or if he was trying to distract me but while in the pattern we talked about his involvement with embraer and testing their phenoms. After we landed we shook my hand and congratulated me.

Overall it was a very smooth checkride. If you have done your fair amount of studying, there is no reason to be worried. Also, if you have any doubts on anything, post them on jetcareers...the guys here are awesome!

Cheers!

Glad to hear it went well. Seems fairly straight forward with no surprises. Hope mine goes as well as yours did when I take it.

Back