Caribbean Pilots.

I'm not from the Caribbean, but I fly down there at least every other week.

What's on your mind?

Nothing is on my mind per say I was just looking to enquire how different pilots from the Caribbean were able to have whatever flying jobs they have today and how difficult (or not so difficult);) it was to get there. Seems being from the Caribbean and wanting to be a pilot isn't the easiest path.

From St. Lucia myself. Just returned from flight school and currently going through the conversion process in Antigua. Feels like I'm going through what I went through at University in four years, in two weeks here in Antigua. It's pretty tough, but I know it will be worth it when I get done. What's keeping me going is the possible chance of flying for LIAT eventually. It's certainly not an easy path :drool:.

From St. Lucia myself. Just returned from flight school and currently going through the conversion process in Antigua. Feels like I'm going through what I went through at University in four years, in two weeks here in Antigua. It's pretty tough, but I know it will be worth it when I get done. What's keeping me going is the possible chance of flying for LIAT eventually. It's certainly not an easy path :drool:.

Sweet! I actually lived in St. Lucia back in the mid-90's.

I'm an American; born in Palm Beach County, FL; Bahamaian descent.

Both my mother's parents were from the Bahamas. They were from Andros.

"Me" - 1987 ERAU grad/Daytona campus; hoping to start Ari-Ben Aviator in Ft. Pierce, FL real soon.

atp

Sweet! I actually lived in St. Lucia back in the mid-90's.

Do you remember where exactly? I am originally from Morne Fortune (The morne) there. Both parents are Dominican so after retiring in 2002, they decided it was time to move back to their home island. So I have been living in Dominica since then, and have yet to visit my home island. Just never had the chance to, especially after leaving for the US to go through flight school. I can only imagine how much has changed. :)

Ok. Nice to see that there are some Caribbean people up in here. Good win today too. :D. Young Pilot what conversion process are you talking about??

Ok. Nice to see that there are some Caribbean people up in here. Good win today too. :D. Young Pilot what conversion process are you talking about??

The majority of local pilots flying in the Caribbean region, couldn't afford to do their flight training within the region itself, and so went abroad to do so, primarily to the US or Canada. The biggest difference you will find when it comes to the flight training itself, are in the regulations that govern the respective regions/countries themselves.

Think of it like this. Your driver's license here in the Caribbean wouldn't be valid in the US, because the rules of the road are different up there. It's kind of the same concept. So the conversion process itself involves taking a course which covers the Air Laws of the Caribbean, but on top of that, you also strengthen the knowledge areas you should have covered back in flight school, which are tested through what is called a Technical/General Paper. In the end, you sit these two exams; one over Air Law, and the other over various technical subjects such as aerodynamics, electricity, etc. Once you pass and gain employment with LIAT for example, you get issued a pilot's license which is now valid for the Caribbean region.

Tried to keep the explanation as simple as possible so as to not confuse you. So it's a lot of work man. That's why you have to be certain that this really is what you want to do, because it will cost you and arm and a leg to get to where you want to;).

Most of the Caribbean islands (ie. Jamaica) have their own set rules like how Europe is JAA or something like that. The CARICOM (Caribbean version of the U.N.) goes by the FAA rules but you need the license of that country to fly for their airline. It is pretty simple but a bit on the pricey side I hear. For Air Jamaica you have to be a Jamaican citizen to fly for them, I don't know if that is how it is for the other countries...

The majority of local pilots flying in the Caribbean region, couldn't afford to do their flight training within the region itself, and so went abroad to do so, primarily to the US or Canada. The biggest difference you will find when it comes to the flight training itself, are in the regulations that govern the respective regions/countries themselves.

Think of it like this. Your driver's license here in the Caribbean wouldn't be valid in the US, because the rules of the road are different up there. It's kind of the same concept. So the conversion process itself involves taking a course which covers the Air Laws of the Caribbean, but on top of that, you also strengthen the knowledge areas you should have covered back in flight school, which are tested through what is called a Technical/General Paper. In the end, you sit these two exams; one over Air Law, and the other over various technical subjects such as aerodynamics, electricity, etc. Once you pass and gain employment with LIAT for example, you get issued a pilot's license which is now valid for the Caribbean region.

Tried to keep the explanation as simple as possible so as to not confuse you. So it's a lot of work man. That's why you have to be certain that this really is what you want to do, because it will cost you and arm and a leg to get to where you want to;).
:yeahthat: Great explanation! I plan to do that if/when I decide to to fly in Jamaica some time later when I actually have the ratings. One point that I want to add is that you only need those certifications if you plan to be based or fly for an airline of that country, otherwise you could take a twin from Florida to Jamaica and it would be just fine, it just can't be based there...

Trini From Montreal here...Did all my training in FL and KS so I keep an eye on this forum every now and then. I would love to fly back home and I am running out of tolerance for Canadian winters...but I have to convince my wife...no joy yet but you never know.

I feel you KungFuJoe:). I left my soon to be fiance (secret between you and me haha) back in the US to return home to pursue my career. The great thing is, she understands why I made that decision. Better chance of getting hired here at home, than the US where I would have to go through piles of paperwork just to be legal to fly up there, in terms of flying for an airline I mean. Maybe when we get married and I actually have the money to file the paperwork, I'll consider it. MAYBE. Just like you, I may need to convince her to move down here with me:).

Most of the Caribbean islands (ie. Jamaica) have their own set rules like how Europe is JAA or something like that. The CARICOM (Caribbean version of the U.N.) goes by the FAA rules but you need the license of that country to fly for their airline. It is pretty simple but a bit on the pricey side I hear. For Air Jamaica you have to be a Jamaican citizen to fly for them, I don't know if that is how it is for the other countries...

I believe for the Caribbean region it is the ECCAA (Eastern Caribbean Civil Aviation Authority). As fas as I know, the FAA only governs the United States, and A/C registered accordingly...

How close are you to starting your training? If you need help along those lines, let me know.

I believe for the Caribbean region it is the ECCAA (Eastern Caribbean Civil Aviation Authority). As fas as I know, the FAA only governs the United States, and A/C registered accordingly...

How close are you to starting your training? If you need help along those lines, let me know.

There we go, that is the name lol. I am very close, as soon as I am done with my senior year of HS (this June) I want to take to the skies! In the future I definitely want to be flying in Jamaica or the Caribbean, I don't care if it is charter, corporate, freight, or 121. As long as I can see those pristine waters/coast, I am in heaven!:)

Sounds like a plan man. Just remain focused. That's probably the best advice that I can give you. After high school I went through a two year associates degree program, and then another four years for a bachelor's degree in aviation. Thought the end of formal schooling would never come. But the learning never stops...

Back