Caravan pilots

And there seems to be job security at the feeders compared to 90 percent of other jobs in this industry
Understand that purple feeders and brown feeders here are completely the opposite.

FedEx owns and manages its feeder aircraft. There's a lot of relative stability at a FedEx feeder and generally good quality of life for that type of flying (four nights a week, don't touch a box).

UPS contracts all feeder flying out and doesn't give a damn about any carrier except themselves. UPS runs on 30 day contracts which means your route could be gone at any time with a months notice. Not to mention you're basically going to be single-handedly loading and unloading between a few hundred and a few thousand pounds of freight at least twice a day.

FedEx cares about their people and their airplanes and it shows. Garmin avionics, retrofitted TKS in the 'vans, etc. UPS contracts it to the lowest bidder and it shows in how the pilots are treated and airplanes are equipped.

Do you like working for MAC? Can you see yourself staying put there for awhile, or even a career? I'm thinking about going to a feeder once I meet minimums simply because the job seems so laid back and easy. And there seems to be job security at the feeders compared to 90 percent of other jobs in this industry

I probably won't spend my entire career here, but Indo plan to be here awhile. The schedule is pretty good, and the pay is better than a lot of other gigs. Feeder jobs are pretty stable overall. Unlike UPS, FedEx owns all of our aircraft, and funds our maintenance and fuel costs. You generally never have to worry about crappy maintenance or other shady practices at a FedEx feeder.

The main downside is, many of these routes are less than an hour in length each way, so it's not the best place to build flight time quickly. If you're beyond that stage though, a feeder is a pretty decent place to work.

Understand that purple feeders and brown feeders here are completely the opposite.

FedEx owns and manages its feeder aircraft. There's a lot of relative stability at a FedEx feeder and generally good quality of life for that type of flying (four nights a week, don't touch a box).

UPS contracts all feeder flying out and doesn't give a damn about any carrier except themselves. UPS runs on 30 day contracts which means your route could be gone at any time with a months notice. Not to mention you're basically going to be single-handedly loading and unloading between a few hundred and a few thousand pounds of freight at least twice a day.

FedEx cares about their people and their airplanes and it shows. Garmin avionics, retrofitted TKS in the 'vans, etc. UPS contracts it to the lowest bidder and it shows in how the pilots are treated and airplanes are equipped.

It's the basic difference between FedEx and UPS overall. UPS started as a trucking company, and ground has always been their game. They got started in the air world relatively late in the game. UPS is run like a trucking company, and it definitely shows.

FedEx on the other hand, was founded as an express air delivery service, and their strength has always been air freight. They are run like an airline, and you can definitely tell just by being around the operation. They have much more control of the entire system including their feeders than UPS does. The feeder aircraft are generally better equipped and in much better shape than the contractors UPS uses to fly package feed.

Oh, and bonus points for FedEx since Feeder pilots never touch the boxes.

how often does a contract abruptly end at a ups feeder? Do pilots have to change bases often because of this?

how often does a contract abruptly end at a ups feeder? Do pilots have to change bases often because of this?
I won't say it happens all that often. I'm the CP of a UPS/DHL feeder now and since I've been here though I'd venture probably ten routes have shutdown, most with just the 30 day notice. The worse or more isolated your route is in terms of location the steadier it seems to be.

The problem is due to UPS contracting everything, any carrier can bid on a route and take it with 30 days notice. Which means if you're flying a route and some 135 comes in with a beat up 402 and offers a bid that's $5 less a day to big brown, your route is probably going to them. We'll pay for your relocation if your route is eliminated but I don't know if that's typical among the other carriers.

The other problem is the UPS network also by the nature of the 30 day game limits most route bidding to the big carriers. You can't go out and buy or lease a plane to get a new route only knowing if you'll have it for 30 days, which means you have to have the size to be able to float extra planes for bidding and there's just not enough money in it for that for the smaller carriers.

My advice: dodge UPS completely. You won't make enough money or have the QOL you will at a FedEx feeder. If you want to do freight feeding for a while that's great - you're going to learn a lot and have a lot of fun. But do it with purple on your tail and a big FedEx logo slapped on the side. Sure, you won't get to fly a Metro or 1900 or 99...but there's a reason all those tired old planes are flying for the UPS contractors and not FedEx.

The Pros of flying for a FedEx feeder are nice and I think flying a Multi-engine aircraft such as the ATR for a FedEx feeder is great but I would have safety concerns (Cons) flying a Cessna 208 day after day. Don't get me wrong , I'm not saying Cessna 208's are falling out of the sky everyday, but sometimes I hear about Cessna 208's making an emergency landing due to a engine power loss, most survivable but some not.

I'm sure several Multi-engine pilots would agree with me, but for someone who has thousands of hours in Multi-engine aircraft, there's been more than one occasion where I've said "****, I'm sure glad I had that second engine!" For me personally, if I was making a career as a Small Feeder Cargo Pilot or just wanted to experience the Cargo Feeder world for a while before I moved on to better things, I definitely wouldn't do it in a Cessna 208. I would rather fly a Multi-engine aircraft and load boxes for a brown feeder or my number 1 choice would be to fly an ATR for a FedEx Feeder. I'm sure were all good pilots, but were only as good as the location were flying over if we have an engine failure in a single engine plane. I know the Feeder 208's are well maintained but just thinking about an engine out would take a toll on me everyday as I'm flying over populated areas or water.

From what I've seen in the past, UPS doesn't always go with the lowest bidder, they also look at the performance of the company. Back in the day when I flew brown boxes, sure I saw a couple routes lost, but this small mom and pop company who may be using a beat up Cessna 402 for $5 less doesn't have the resources (extra aircraft) available if that aircraft has a mechanical issue. So who ends up covering their route while their aircraft is down, the larger company that they underbid. And who may get that route back 6 months down the road, the larger company. The larger company may not have a perfect record either, but for the most part I think UPS knows they can count on the larger company to get their freight delivered. UPS knows this, so yes price is factor, but overall performance is a factor too. Maybe things have changed since then, but at least that's how I remember it.

My advice: If you really feel the need to fly small cargo feeder aircraft, try to get on with a FedEx Feeder flying an ATR, if not, go to a brown feeder and fly Multi-engine aircraft for a while. Sure your QOL and pay won't be all that great and you'll have to load boxes for a brown feeder, but I think that outweighs flying a Cessna 208. I'm not bashing on any 208 pilots out there, this is just my opinion. Take it for what it's worth. We all got to start somewhere, and if a flying Cessna 208 is what you want to do, then do it, don't listen to Multi-engine pilots like myself. :)

Are you kidding me?

I'd rather fly a single engine turbine aircraft like the Cessna 208 than a multiengine piston airplane any day of the week.

I used to fly passenger charter 135 in the Cirrus SR-22. I mean, how am I still even alive? How do I still have my certificates? A pilot as dangerous as me shouldn't be allowed near an airplane. :sarcasm:

It's the basic difference between FedEx and UPS overall. UPS started as a trucking company, and ground has always been their game. They got started in the air world relatively late in the game. UPS is run like a trucking company, and it definitely shows.

FedEx on the other hand, was founded as an express air delivery service, and their strength has always been air freight. They are run like an airline, and you can definitely tell just by being around the operation. They have much more control of the entire system including their feeders than UPS does. The feeder aircraft are generally better equipped and in much better shape than the contractors UPS uses to fly package feed.

Oh, and bonus points for FedEx since Feeder pilots never touch the boxes.
Are many of the FedEx feeders taking pilots without having any previous 135 experience as of late?

Does anyone has the different pay scale at the FDX Feeder ?

Empire is posted on the other site.
Mountain Air is suppose to have a new pay scale but it is not reflected on the other site

What about : Wiggins, Baron, Corporate, West Air, & Mountain Air new pay rate

Thank you in advance for any reply.

Skysign.

Does anyone has the different pay scale at the FDX Feeder ?

Empire is posted on the other site.
Mountain Air is suppose to have a new pay scale but it is not reflected on the other site

What about : Wiggins, Baron, Corporate, West Air, & Mountain Air new pay rate

Thank you in advance for any reply.

Skysign.

Bump, As do I would like to know that info.

121 isn't for everyone. If you happen to live where the 208 run is, and are happy there, who can argue with being home every day?

Explain something to me -- is it better for QOL to live at the feeder hub, or the feeder outstation? Or does it matter? I live right next to a fedex feeder hub and was wondering how much that would simplify my schedule. ...In the hypothetical world where I actually landed one of the 'van gigs. Thanks.

Explain something to me -- is it better for QOL to live at the feeder hub, or the feeder outstation? Or does it matter? I live right next to a fedex feeder hub and was wondering how much that would simplify my schedule. ...In the hypothetical world where I actually landed one of the 'van gigs. Thanks.

It doesn't really matter. If you are a based pilot (at least at my company), you will be home quite a bit irrespective of whether your base is at a hub or an outstation. I can't speak for the UPS contractors as they are completely different than big purple.

Thanks for your reply. If you're based at the hub, does that mean you're home every night and doing out and backs during the day? Versus being based at an outstation and being home during the day and away from home at night? Or can it be either way depending on the route and the company?

Explain something to me -- is it better for QOL to live at the feeder hub, or the feeder outstation? Or does it matter?
For the opposite perspective as @Apophis

The big Brown feeder guys tend to live at the outstations, leave at 1800-2000 at night, overnight in a hotel, return at 0700-0900 the following morning, and go home. This also gives them the weekends at home, but you spend 5 nights a week in a hotel.

The only real exceptions I know of (this being two feeder companies I've worked for, one as CP) is the guys on the far west coast...a lot of the jets out there leave really early and get back late due to having to go all the way to SDF at night, so the routes run from basically 9-5...those guys tend to live in the hub cities and run it as a 'normal job', except 3/4 of the day is sitting in a hotel in Crappy Outstation, CA.

Thanks for your reply. If you're based at the hub, does that mean you're home every night and doing out and backs during the day? Versus being based at an outstation and being home during the day and away from home at night? Or can it be either way depending on the route and the company?

It depends on the hub/outstation. For example, our Salisbury, MD based guys (outstation) duty on between 6:45-7:20 at night, fly to Baltimore, spend the night then fly back early the next morning spending all day at home. Rinse and repeat 5 days per week.

The Dothan, AL - Memphis run in the Caravan is outstation based (Dothan). You duty on at 9:30PM, fly to Memphis, drop off freight then fly back to Dothan empty. On this run you're sleeping in your own bed every night, although you probably won't be home until around 3:45 AM. If you can withstand the vampire hours, this one's actually nice because you don't go out Friday night. So you have Friday/Saturday/Sunday/Monday morning completely free every week.

As you can see, it simply depends on where you're based. Let me know if you have any other questions!

I want to say base pay for our Van CAs is $300/day plus $35/hr if you fly more than 60 hours in a month. Pay goes up with seniority too. From what I've heard if you aren't breaking 100k in 5 years you are doing something wrong.
What company is this?

Back