Breaking News: US Airways Jet Crashes in the Hudson River.

Re: Breaking News: US Airways Jet Crashes in the Hudson Riv

Señior DP says 150 people on board, no fatalities, in a press conference.

Re: Breaking News: USAirways Jet Crashes in the Hudson Rive

Doug,
Not to digress from the topic, but a PanAm Boeing 377 Stratoliner of 1950's vintage ditched in the Pacific, and everyone survived. They ditched alongside a Coast Guard weather ship. I will have to get more info. if you're interested. I feel such a great deal of pride in the feat of airmanship that these pilots executed today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_Am_Flight_943

ALM Flight 980 was a somewhat successful ditch in the 1970's. DC-9 ran out of fuel in the Caribbean.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ALM_Flight_980

Anyway has anyone heard any actual witnesses that ACTUALLY saw birds or is it pure speculation at this point?!? I would be concerned a little bit about fuel contamination...(of course, I know jets will burn just about ANYTHING) but, I wanted to add something else besides just the birds theory!

It's being reported that the crew radioed the birdstrike info. Of course we all know how reliable media reports are, so...

Anyone else tired of hearing Mary Schiavo and her constant speculation. In a couple of minutes she managed to talk about financially strapped airlines being watched for mx to older airplanes having higher crash rates...can't stand her.

Oh man, the "Ice Queen"?

"If you see ice on a commuter airplane, you make sure the pilots hear about it! Your life is in DANGER!!!! :panic: :panic: :panic:"

A few weeks of this:

"Yes we know, please take your seat"

Anyone aware of any other incidents where a birdstrike took out ALL engines on an airliner?

Just heard this one:

"Most people would be suprised at how far airplanes can glide. A 747 can glide like 15 miles for every 1,000 feet of altitude"

Man...

Again trying not to get too aggravated at the continuing aviation "experts."

Also amusing how everyone thinks TERRORIST!!! Maybe the birds had some sort of connection to Al Qaeda.

Just heard about it from a friend driving up the West Side Highway. Glad to see everyone made it. Talk about scary stuff. MSM coverage blows. Glad to have you guys here to make sense out of everything.

Al Quada birdies? Is that what keeps flying into my picture windows at the house?

Anyone aware of any other incidents where a birdstrike took out ALL engines on an airliner?

Granted not airliners per se, there have been two AWACS (Boeing 707) airplanes lost to birds:

• On 22 September 1995, a U.S. Air Force E-3 Sentry (Callsign Yukla 27, serial number 77-0354), crashed shortly after take off from Elmendorf AFB, AK. The plane lost power to both port side engines after these engines ingested several Canada Geese during takeoff. The aircraft went down in a heavily wooded area about two miles northeast of the runway, killing all 24 crew members on board.<sup id="cite_ref-9" class="reference">[10]</sup><sup id="cite_ref-10" class="reference">[11]</sup>
  • A NATO AWACS ingested seagulls and crashed following an aborted take off on 14 July 1996 at Aktion, Greece.

Just heard this one:

"Most people would be suprised at how far airplanes can glide. A 747 can glide like 15 miles for every 1,000 feet of altitude"

ANOTHER Fox News "expert" said this. I am beginning to think they have nothing but no talent ass clowns working for them!!!

Parker needs to give himself another bonus for hiring these pilots.:)

Just walked in an saw the newscast:

No fatalities and a few bumps and bruises. Big props, kudos, high fives and atta boys to the flight & cabin crew!!!

Job well done!!!!

atp

Courtesy of NBC New York:

" For those of you just tuning in, a Boeing 737 airliner crash landed into the Hudson River a little over 2 hour ago!:rolleyes:

so the question is... how many birds it takes to bring down a plane??.. I mean.. We´ve seen videos of engine sucking up masive loads of water and some birds on test runs...with nothing happening to them.. and suddeny... a whole airliner down for a bird parvade?....
They must have been some pretty freking heavy birds...no?

NBC is saying the Pilot will be on with the Mayor in 20 min....
Amazing how it turned out.
Im glade I wasn't flying anyone down for a Hudson tour today.

Back