Breaking News: US Airways Jet Crashes in the Hudson River.

Re: Breaking News: USAirways Jet in the Hudson River.

Unbelievable. Eyewitness accounts are chilling. Many freaked out seeing a plane flying low along the Hudson River recalling 9/11.

Re: Breaking News: USAirways Jet Crashes in the Hudson Rive

thats a fast moving river. Looks like right now that the cabin would be pretty close to filled with water.

Is a certain amount of flotation built into an airplane for such an accident?

It probably was a bird strike after takeoff and then it stalled into the hudson, although I don't think you can stall an airbus...hmmm everyone should be fine the plane is very well intact but the water here in nyc is freeezing, good to know all those ferries are nearby and waiting.

watching it now, when exactly do the floats come out?

attachment.php

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 456

thats a fast moving river. Looks like right now that the cabin would be pretty close to filled with water.

Theoretically yes, but in practice highly unlikely. That is why I am so surprised to see the fuselage in such excellent condition considering the aircraft apparently managed to take off. This accident notwithstanding, the engine mount bolts are designed to sheer and shed the engines, and assuming the horizontal stabilizers don't sheer off and puncture the pressure bulkhead in the rear of the aircraft, there is a certain amount of buoyancy that an aircraft can attain. At high speed impacts, however, the chances of ditching successfully is close to zero. I won't speculate about this USAirways incident, but it would seem that they must have had some amount of power to create a controlled landing in the water. Who knows....all I can say is hope everyone is ok....

Re: Breaking News: USAirways Jet in the Hudson River.

I'm home in NY and I just heard about this. I'm glad to hear that the people are said to be in good shape. Passenger testimonies are saying that one of the engines were flaming. Of course you take media reports with a grain of salt, but I'm glad to know that the people are safe.

It's good to see so many people standing on the wings. Hopefully there are no fatalities.

An airliner is fairly watertight, and the jet fuel in the wings has a positive bouyency, so it shoud float reasonably well for some time. Easily long enough to evacuate everybody.

Fox is saying everyone is OK, and that no one even got wet getting out of the aircraft.

Huge points go out to the pilots and crew.

This reminds me of:

[YT]N1Yf6_MVTck[/YT]

It probably was a bird strike after takeoff and then it stalled into the hudson,

Think about that for a second, if it stalled we wouldn't be looking at a whole airplane with people getting off and standing on the wings.

On a side note CNBC had Frank Lorenzo (as in THE Frank Lorenzo) as an expert witness.

Early to speculate, of course, but since that's what we do every time anyway...this is certainly shaping up to be a case of those fat, lazy, overpaid airline pilots earning the six figure paychecks and 28 days off a month. Well freaking done!

Not sure if this has been said already, but the reporter Robin Roberts was painting pilots, at least the pilots in this case, in a very positive light. She said she witnessed the event unfold and was simply amazed at how the pilots were able to bring it down just as if they were bringing it down on a runway ... and land it on the water in a manner that severely reduced the liklihood of death and destruction ...

... my wife heard similar sentiments by another reporter on the radio who claimed that he, "can't really say the plane crashed, because it didn't crash ..."

This may help alleviate some fears the public may have following an airliner crash ... and kudos to the pilots for maintaining the streak of fatality-free flying.

Sounds like all survived. Water temp must have been pretty cold!

Watching it on CNN...terrible.

Sounds like everyone made it out so that's good news. I wouldn't want to go into that water today (18F), but better there than into a neighborhood/building/industrial complex.

Early to speculate, of course, but since that's what we do every time anyway...this is certainly shaping up to be a case of those fat, lazy, overpaid airline pilots earning the six figure paychecks and 28 days off a month. Well freaking done!

No doubt.

Hopefully, this is a good reminder for people to pay attention to safety demos and their flight attendants.

Additionally, first successful water ditching of a transport category airliner?

Looks like those guys did a HELLUVA job...As for the floatation of the aircraft. I think that the Airbus has a "ditching" switch on the emergency panel to close the outflow valves. I guess it will an interesting CVR tape to listen to! Once again, GOOD ON EM'

Back