Breaking News: US Airways Jet Crashes in the Hudson River.

Re: Breaking News: US Airways Jet Crashes in the Hudson Riv

Is anybody else EXTREMLY annoyed by how the media keeps talking about THE PILOT? They act as if there was only one person in the cockpit doing all the work.

I know the media is never accurate when it comes to aviation matters...but for some reason this one is really rubbing me the wrong way.

Plus FOX News keeps emphasizing how THE PILOT was an Air Force fighter pilot. The TV at the restaurant I was at was tuned to FOX News so I was forced to watch :mad:

I'm sure the First Officer (Or Co-Pilot as the media say) will be just a little peeved by all this THE PILOT talk.

1+

I fully agree with you. I'm pretty sure its common knowledge there are two pilots up front. I am a little disappointed in the media trying to recognize just one pilot as the hero.

Glider time logged today: .1
Water landings logged today: 1
Recognition throughout your industry as true professionals and bad@$$es: Priceless.

Quick question from a non 121'er:

If in theory the F/O was flying out of LaGuardia and the dual engine failure occured, would the CA takeover per airline/121 regs or is it a matter of who's flying gets to handle whatever situation occurs?

Depends on the FO, depends on the captain, depends on the departure brief, depends on the situation, depends on a lot of things that we don't have access to right now.

Generally most captains would say in their brief that if it was my leg and an emergency happened, I'd fly the airplane and they'd fix it. Others told me the opposite would happen.

Rumor is, though, that the captain is also a glider instructor and hence, probably had a tiny bit of a leg up on the FO. Now to be honest, if I was a captain and in the same situation and both the engines quit and the FO said, "Hey boss, want me to take this? I've got 3,000 hours of dual given in gliders" it'd be his airplane no questions asked. I actually had a guy that I trained for his CFI/II/MEI who got his glider instructor certificate as his initial CFI, and this dude was honestly probably the best stick I've ever seen. If we had ever been in an engine out situation, even though he only had 100 hours in 172's, I'd feel great about him taking us down into a field, greasing on a beautiful landing and probably giving me tips about what he was doing all the way down.

But that's just me, my experience and how things have gone where I've worked.

You know, in the beginning I didn't think anything about people talking about "the pilot", because yes the flying pilot did an amazing job.
But now it is just starting to get ridiculous that we don't know anything about the FO.

Do we know for sure that the Captain was the flying pilot?

Doug, now you're going to have to tee up Captain Sully for NetworkJC 2009!

I think I recall reading that the PF in the BA 777 deadstick into Heathrow was the FO.

Quick question from a non 121'er:

If in theory the F/O was flying out of LaGuardia and the dual engine failure occured, would the CA takeover per airline/121 regs or is it a matter of who's flying gets to handle whatever situation occurs?

Probably just depends. When I had an engine problem in ORD, I landed it myself.

Not all four engines, but YUKLA 27, (USAF E-3B) took a load of Canadian geese in the #1 and #2 engines less than a minute after rotation. All perished. Sad day.

Great job today by the entire crew.

Yep, I was aware of this one and also the Eastern Electra accident at Logan - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Air_Lines_Flight_375. Haven't found any incidents where all engines were lost due to birds, though. It appears this was unprecedented - and hopefully will remain unique. Magnificent job by the captain and crew.

Nah, we actually had to jump out of an L1011 mockup into a deep-assed pool (I HAAAAAAATE deep water), swim to a life raft and start dragging folks into it. Then paddle across the other side of the pool.

Southernjets takes that stuff real serious.

WEAK!!! You needed to do it AF style...while you are trying to climb up in the raft, the instructors are "spraying you off" like bugs with fire hoses!!! We were told it was "simulated" ocean waves!!! Then you had to get heaved up by the rescue basket. Now THATS the way you train!!! :)

Yeah that's totally my hometown in the background.

capt.a2568bc4315c4759a866b72f80c065bf.aptopix_plane_splashdown_ny208.jpg

The Do's from the dirty Jerz!

BTW, for those of you who are interested in checking bird status for the places you're flying (you should--it's taken alot more seriously in the military, hopefully soon in the civilian world), here's a product you might be interested in:

US Bird Avoidance Model

Yeah, there's always "caution, birds in vicinity" on the ATIS it seems.

I can appreciate the efforts made be the crew and we are all certainly grateful for the safety in everyone involved. I had a minor bird strike two days ago (nothing by comparison) and it certainly amazes me the success the crew had for the safety of the flight.

Here's to the crew for a job well done.

GIVE THEM MORE MONEY!!!! :nana2:

Back