Breaking News: US Airways Jet Crashes in the Hudson River.

Re: Breaking News: US Airways Jet Crashes in the Hudson Riv

is it sad i can recite ATA's safety demos for the 752/3 733/8 and L10-11?

haha

If I were ALPA, I'd try to reopen every single contract with every single carrier. Take advantage of the good publicity now before pilots are portrayed as greedy, no good, lazy, high paid, low work slackers.

Oh, sure, NOW pilots are heroes.

In less than a year, people will forget about this and they'll go back to bitching about overpaid, underworked pilots and fares that are outrageous.

This one makes +155 points for not taking humans out of the cockpit.

A year?

I give it a month, tops.

I'd give it a week.

The only thing that might keep this in people's minds longer is that all the media is based in NYC and their constant barrage of anything that sell ad time. The CAL 737 in DEN was out of the news in 3 days.

Good Gawd Taylor...you can't use big words like that when talking to pilots! Keep it clear and simple for crying out loud!:D

Sorry bro! I will try not to talk so pretty! :)

This even made front page top of the fold here in Canuckland. I can only hope to be that calm if the same happens to me. Great job!

Oh boy...now Rush Limbaugh is telling stories from some retired AF pilot about birdstrikes, training and other crap. It makes me sick to the stomach. He did make mention of the entire crew though, so that's good.

Oh man...miracle, miracle, miracle!!!! Another word to add to the "banned" words of the year. How about the great training of the CREW?!?

And Alex, I am not familiar w/ the C-5 incident you mentioned and it sounds like it was when I was stationed there. When did that happen? We have birdstrikes A LOT, especially doing locals out there at KDOV. Usually is nothing but extra paperwork.

Oh yes...this just posted on NTSB.GOV:

NTSB MEDIA BRIEFING SCHEDULED FOR 4:00 PM EST TODAY ON US AIRWAYS ACCIDENT IN NEW YORK .

BTW, for those of you who are interested in checking bird status for the places you're flying (you should--it's taken alot more seriously in the military, hopefully soon in the civilian world), here's a product you might be interested in:

US Bird Avoidance Model

I love the acronym...BAM!

I was doing racetracks 10 miles north on the hudson right after it happend and about 20 minutes later we were cleared for the exp way vis 31 and flew right over it, pretty amazing site from 4000 feet, lots of boats and a floating airbus.

I'm not sure how everyone feels about Patrick Smith who writes on aviation at Salon.com. I think his article today (the updated one) did a good job in a short space on the A320 ditching. Here's a partial extract:

The U.S. Airways jet remained in one piece Thursday and everybody on board survived -- indicators of a superb job by the flight crew under extremely urgent conditions. (And to clarify something that the rest of the media is predictably screwing up: there were two pilots in the cockpit -- a captain and a first officer.
Full text can be found here. If that link doesn't work, try the source url: http://www.salon.com/tech/col/smith...305/index.html?source=rss&aim=/tech/col/smith

Action shot!

n577537095_1765597_2828.jpg

LOL...

n521491566_1802877_4997.jpg

And the first mention I have seen of the First Officer (from an AP article):

Sullenberger's co-pilot was Jeff Skiles, 49, of Oregon, Wis., a 23-year US Airways veteran.

I'm not sure how everyone feels about Patrick Smith who writes on aviation at Salon.com. I think his article today (the updated one) did a good job in a short space on the A320 ditching. Here's a partial extract:

I've talked to Patrick a couple of times. He knows his stuff and is a bona fide aviation freak. After September 11, he told me he had resigned himself to possibly NEVER getting paid to fly again.

Well, he's drawing a paycheck for flying again.

And check out his books. While they are designed for the non-aviation buff, they're still good reads.

And the first mention I have seen of the First Officer (from an AP article):

Well, when the quarterback throws the pretty touchdown pass, nobody says "wow, what a great block by the left tackle!"

Back