Breaking News: US Airways Jet Crashes in the Hudson River.

Re: Breaking News: US Airways Jet Crashes in the Hudson Riv

Nah, we actually had to jump out of an L1011 mockup into a deep-assed pool (I HAAAAAAATE deep water), swim to a life raft and start dragging folks into it. Then paddle across the other side of the pool.

Southernjets takes that stuff real serious.

haha, hell, even ATA made you do that.

Yeah, United wanted to have us jump off a slide that was at the height of a 744 upper deck, but they couldn't cause they didn't have enough people and god forbid we kill ourselves hahah

That was an unbelievable performance by the crew. We talked a lot about ditching (and practiced some) in Executive (Eagle ATR's) indoc and all I came away with was that you were pretty much hosed if you had wing-mounted engines on a low-wing airplane.

I'm probably saying this early, but unless something bizarre actually happened this is going to go down as one of the greatest accomplishments of piloting skill and CRM *ever*.

*cough* sioux city *cough*

*cough* one of..... *cough*

Is anybody else EXTREMLY annoyed by how the media keeps talking about THE PILOT? They act as if there was only one person in the cockpit doing all the work.

I know the media is never accurate when it comes to aviation matters...but for some reason this one is really rubbing me the wrong way.

Plus FOX News keeps emphasizing how THE PILOT was an Air Force fighter pilot. The TV at the restaurant I was at was tuned to FOX News so I was forced to watch :mad:

I'm sure the First Officer (Or Co-Pilot as the media say) will be just a little peeved by all this THE PILOT talk.

Is anybody else EXTREMLY annoyed by how the media keeps talking about THE PILOT? They act as if there was only one person in the cockpit doing all the work.

I thought it was funny that CNN had Dr. Phil on as an expret, but he actually praised the FO and talked about CRM... he's probably been the only person Ive seen interviewed that actually had something smart to say!

Nah, we actually had to jump out of an L1011 mockup into a deep-assed pool (I HAAAAAAATE deep water), swim to a life raft and start dragging folks into it. Then paddle across the other side of the pool.

Southernjets takes that stuff real serious.

During training you have to jump into water and swim? I can't swim, seriously...

I thought it was funny that CNN had Dr. Phil on as an expret, but he actually praised the FO and talked about CRM... he's probably been the only person Ive seen interviewed that actually had something smart to say!

031703drphill.jpg

Dr. Phill FTW! :nana2:

Dr. Phil at one time did work for ALPA.

Amazing job to the Pilots and crew. Also rescue crew being their very promptly saved many lives too. Awesome guys, just awesome.

Do we know yet who was the PF and the PNF?

Facebook groups...Talk about being invited to the Presidential Inauguration. Maybe people actually like pilots again!

During training you have to jump into water and swim? I can't swim, seriously...

Well, if you want to make it to the life raft! ;)

They did ask if anyone could not swim or was a weak swimmer before the exercise.

Quick question from a non 121'er:

If in theory the F/O was flying out of LaGuardia and the dual engine failure occured, would the CA takeover per airline/121 regs or is it a matter of who's flying gets to handle whatever situation occurs?

It's nice to see an accident without any fatalities. I'm sure the captain's 30+ years of experience contributed to this "miracle." One important thing for the general public out of this is that people don't always die when airplanes crash.

Back