BGI, AGI etc...

jima7011

The Fire Chief
I have a couple of questions that maybe some of the CFI's here can answer---

I know you do not need to be a pilot to teach ground instruction (I am BTW, but I am working kind of slowly right now and would love to get these out of the way) --

I also know normally the procedure is to take the FOI and then another exam. I know that if you have a teaching certificate you can get the FOI waived--

1st Question--I have Department of Defense Fire Instructor certificates-would these be good enough to get the FOI waived? (We studied the same thing, Mazlow and all that).

2nd Question--What is the test needed to do the BGI-I am not really sure of where to proceed with this--

I know this is probably in the FAR/AIM somewhere but I am in a place where I don't have easy access--

My future plan is to CFI but I keep ending up deployed--

Thanks

Hi jima,

the ground instructor certificates are rather easy to obtain.
To your Q1:
The FOI is a pretty easy written test to take, I believe waivers are subject to actively teaching in a highschool above some certain grade.
You can find this in the FAR's, I may be wrong, but I am sure that other teaching certificates do not qualify. I have not met many people who thought it was a good idea. Also, all the teaching certificate does is waive your obligation for the written. The FAA will still grill you on FOI knowledge during any later actual oral. Go to a safety seminar at your local FSDO or ask the FSDO's SPM for a copy of the Flight Instructor Handbook. I have never paid a dime for a FAA publication.

Q2: There are BGI - which enable you to teach Recreational & Private Knowledge, AGI - which opens up everything except Instrument and IGI which gives you the priviledge to teach Instrument Ground & Simulators.

The BGI is the lowest form, the AGI is 100 questions, basically CFI written knowledge and the IGI is another 60 questions Instruments. Studyguides and questions are equivalent to what comes up in a CFI written (AGI including Helicopter) and IGI is basically another Instrument written.

The process is simple, take your passed FOI (take it, you'll be studying the stuff anyways ;)) and whatever testresults from BGI, AGI or IGI to the FSDO and they will issue you a temporary at no charge.

AGI & IGI are sufficient, no need for a BGI.

Good luck & any questions, shoot away.
Cheers,

Not to thread jack, But there are a lot of things I just don't get about the Ground Instructor Certificate. As a stand alone certificate for "ground instructors" I can totally dig it.

Where I have problems, however, is CFI's who obtain a ground instructor certificate AFTER their CFI. Why on earth would it be a requirement for a gold seal? What does a CFI prove by taking a test he has already passed for a license whose privileges he already possesses?

I certainly don't look down and people who get it...i'm thinking about it myself...i just don't understand how it makes one a better instructor.

Thoughts?

Not to thread jack, But there are a lot of things I just don't get about the Ground Instructor Certificate. As a stand alone certificate for "ground instructors" I can totally dig it.

Where I have problems, however, is CFI's who obtain a ground instructor certificate AFTER their CFI. Why on earth would it be a requirement for a gold seal? What does a CFI prove by taking a test he has already passed for a license whose privileges he already possesses?

I certainly don't look down and people who get it...i'm thinking about it myself...i just don't understand how it makes one a better instructor.

Thoughts?

The AGI and IGI for sure make no lousy instructor any better.
There is absolutely no testing of your teaching capabilities, as this only happens during your oral and flight test for CFI/ CFI-I and MEI.
I took the CFI, CFI-I, IGI & AGI written mainly as a tool to enable myself to gain employment with a flight school - which ended up being a pipedream. However some (very few) flightschools may consider to hire you on as a AGI or IGI and train you to teach their curriculum. What better way to show a prospective employer that you are willing to do the legwork to become a CFI, rather than trying to gain as much flight time in as little time as possible? I spend a lot of time in safety seminars and have the option to become a safety counselor, something a local SPM may not consider for someone without a CFI ticket.

Other than that it's just another way to hunt for certificates, I guess :)

Hi jima,

the ground instructor certificates are rather easy to obtain.
To your Q1:
The FOI is a pretty easy written test to take, I believe waivers are subject to actively teaching in a highschool above some certain grade.
You can find this in the FAR's, I may be wrong, but I am sure that other teaching certificates do not qualify. I have not met many people who thought it was a good idea. Also, all the teaching certificate does is waive your obligation for the written. The FAA will still grill you on FOI knowledge during any later actual oral. Go to a safety seminar at your local FSDO or ask the FSDO's SPM for a copy of the Flight Instructor Handbook. I have never paid a dime for a FAA publication.

Q2: There are BGI - which enable you to teach Recreational & Private Knowledge, AGI - which opens up everything except Instrument and IGI which gives you the priviledge to teach Instrument Ground & Simulators.

The BGI is the lowest form, the AGI is 100 questions, basically CFI written knowledge and the IGI is another 60 questions Instruments. Studyguides and questions are equivalent to what comes up in a CFI written (AGI including Helicopter) and IGI is basically another Instrument written.

The process is simple, take your passed FOI (take it, you'll be studying the stuff anyways ;)) and whatever testresults from BGI, AGI or IGI to the FSDO and they will issue you a temporary at no charge.

AGI & IGI are sufficient, no need for a BGI.

Good luck & any questions, shoot away.
Cheers,

This is what I always thought, however if you look at the FARs an AGI authorizes you to teach everything, thus making the IGI redundant.

§ 61.215 Ground instructor privileges.

(a) A person who holds a basic ground instructor rating is authorized to provide—
(1) Ground training in the aeronautical knowledge areas required for the issuance of a sport pilot certificate, recreational pilot certificate, private pilot certificate, or associated ratings under this part;
(2) Ground training required for a sport pilot, recreational pilot, and private pilot flight review; and
(3) A recommendation for a knowledge test required for the issuance of a sport pilot certificate, recreational pilot certificate, or private pilot certificate under this part.
(b) A person who holds an advanced ground instructor rating is authorized to provide:
(1) Ground training in the aeronautical knowledge areas required for the issuance of any certificate or rating under this part;
(2) Ground training required for any flight review; and
(3) A recommendation for a knowledge test required for the issuance of any certificate under this part.
(c) A person who holds an instrument ground instructor rating is authorized to provide:
(1) Ground training in the aeronautical knowledge areas required for the issuance of an instrument rating under this part;
(2) Ground training required for an instrument proficiency check; and
(3) A recommendation for a knowledge test required for the issuance of an instrument rating under this part.
(d) A person who holds a ground instructor certificate is authorized, within the limitations of the ratings on the ground instructor certificate, to endorse the logbook or other training record of a person to whom the holder has provided the training or recommendation specified in paragraphs (a) through (c) of this section.
[Doc. No. 25910, 62 FR 16298, Apr. 4, 1997, as amended by Amdt. 61–110, 69 FR 44869, July 27, 2004]

My emphasis in bold.

Thoughts?

Would have to ask the FAA on why it's required for gold seal.

It proves the CFI has an extra $100 (or $200 if you spring for both the AGI and IGI).

And you get a new piece of plastic to carry around in your wallet! Whoo hoo!

I guess the only really tangible benefit is you can sign off people to take knowledge tests without concern of whether they will pass or not. And you don't need to keep records like a CFI does.

Back