BABIES

i don't like babies. I like when people with babies give me financial advise because they have already made the worst decision possible. and they poop alot.

That's terrible because even the sponsors of all the car seat safety information say an infant carrier is good for 5 years. And considering they generally go to a specific stroller, that would mean you'd probably have to get a new stroller as well. They are going to start seeing a rise in home deliveries if they threaten to not let you take your own child if your infant seat isn't brand new.
I agree. I was quite shocked. Luckily, I won't be giving birth in Arkansas, not that I have a used baby carseat anyways

i don't like babies. I like when people with babies give me financial advise because they have already made the worst decision possible. and they poop alot.

Well, it's that high fiber baby food! :)

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned garage sales yet!! you can get some of the BEST, slightly used big items at garage sales....All it takes is a little scrubbing and it's all clean.

Altho not a mom, i would LOVE a glider...those chairs are the bombdiggity and they always put my nephew Lawson to sleep when i was taking care of him. SO much easier than an actual rocking chair.

A few more tips I thought of:

Don't buy a "changing table". Any countertop will do just fine. Buy the pad, and some covers, and a section of the rubber no slip foam used in RVs and boats. The foam will keep the pad from slipping anywhere. I esspecially like the top of the dryer.

In order to preserve your dignity, don't let your wife buy a "girly" diaper bag (or at least get your own). I got a Craftsman fish mouth style tool bag which worked great. Added bonus, when your kid out grows diapers, you've got a nice tool carrier.

Learn to pack light. 4 diapers, wipes, sippy cup, extra outfit, 2 toys, and some goldfish + your best Mcgyver ingenuity. That should get you through 95% of the trips out and will easliy fit in your Craftsman diaper bag.

I far prefer having my kids ride on my shoulders over any stroller.

You WILL drop/bang into/hit/step on your kids. We all have, so will you. Still, the first time you step on your kids fingers with boots, you're still gonna feel like dirt.

When the kids is screaming his head of at 2400, go to Wal Mart (or any other 24hr store) and let your wife get some sleep.

Take plenty of pictures.

When out at a restraunt, ask the waiter for about 6 spoons. They'll get you through till the appetizers.

Now is your excuse to act like an idiot and get away with it, enjoy.

Small double box end wrenches make good teething toys.

Don't use lifejackets in pools.

DO use lifejactes in ponds, creeks, lakes, or rivers.

Learn to see the symptoms of low blood sugar. Ocasionally my kids would wake after a long nap in a completely foul mood, if they had a lot of sugary stuf before they would be crashing. Once I figured out what was the problem and shoved some M&Ms in their mouth they were OK. Then follow it up with some PB&J with extra PB.

I love it when people without kids try to convince others, but mostly themselves, that having children is a bad idea.

Most parents, real parents that is, embrace the idea that there are more important things in life then money, namely family.

DON'T DO IT!!!!! Just joking I have three kids (all girls) with the newest only 2 months old. Having kids has really made me a better and nicer person. I love playing with them and watching them grow and explore, when u have a kid you will understand what I mean.

A few more tips I thought of:

Don't use lifejackets in pools.

Do tell, that's one I have not heard...Both of my monkeys wore lifejackets until they could touch in the shallow end.....

If they can't swim, then the lifejacket gives a false sense of security. It won't always keep them safe, but they think it will. In reality they should never be out of arms reach. I have taken both kids to the pool by myself.

If they were to go under, you're in nice clear waist deep water. You should be able to grab them in under 15 seconds.

In natural water, the opposite is true. It can get murky, really deep, unstable footing, ect. The same arms reach rules apply, but the lifejacket will add to the margin of safety.

That's my opinion, yours may be different.

My .02 if you wait to have kids until you have enough money or knowledge,
Then you are going to grow OLD ALONE!!!!!

I am a mother of 3 ages 11-25 and 2 grand babies ages 3and 5 and wouldn't change it for the world.

My oldest turned 18 last week and my youngest was born 9 days ago. Having and raising children has been the greatest thing I ever did. It never gets old and I truly love being a father.

My advice is ENJOY the hugs while you can--they go away faster than you think.

One of the better parts of raising a child is the "look". When they're born, they look but don't really see--then the light goes on and they "see" you and give you the "look". This is the greatest feeling in the world and then when they start to see the world, the "look" is so awesome it tremendous. Then the look they give you when you get home from work--it makes all the late night bottle feeds, diaper changes, and other assorted hassles so worth it--

One of the better parts of raising a child is the "look". When they're born, they look but don't really see--then the light goes on and they "see" you and give you the "look". This is the greatest feeling in the world and then when they start to see the world, the "look" is so awesome it tremendous. Then the look they give you when you get home from work--it makes all the late night bottle feeds, diaper changes, and other assorted hassles so worth it--

Absolutely....and something I never understood until it happened to me regardless of how many people tried to explain it.

I was not pro-kids until I had one....

I'm such a sap, I get all tingly when ANY baby smiles at me! :buck:
BTW, I SWORE I'd never have kids. (Much to the horror of my old-fashioned, Italian-American mom!) :panic:
If and when you decide to take the plunge, the emotions you experience from the minute they're born until like, forever, is something not very easily described. Again, I respect any couple who doesn't want that commitment and responsibility, but for those who do----you probably won't regret it. Of course, there are days you do...but that's another story for another time! ;)

I love it when people without kids try to convince others, but mostly themselves, that having children is a bad idea.

The comment you're responding to was out of line, but I have to say - it does go both ways. (I say that as a non-child-haver who has been told manaymanymany times by child-havers that having children is the best thing in the world and "You'll change your mind someday!" There are always people who think their way is the best way for them, so it must be the best way for everyone. Eh - whaddya gonna do?)

Again....I give major props to those couples who decide it's not for them. Believe me, I know what you go through, I was questioned and frowned upon for years since we were childless. What people didn't realize was that we were trying for 4 years and those insensitive remarks stung terribly. :mad: :(

Back