ATR down in Taipei

Remind me again of why they'd have the right engine pulled back?

Maybe they almost Vmc'd it before (reduce power, reduce aoa) and didn't put enough back in? Had some issue and were planning to ditch in the river?

Guess you didn't get much practice in the Platypus. :D

Remind me again of why they'd have the right engine pulled back?
If functional, that's the $64k question.

Fuel contamination, fuel starvation, lack of skill to fly single engine - not too many other things are popping into my head.

I think they had a ditching in mind, but ran out of ideas and airspeed.

When I first saw the video (before reading anything on here), my initial thought was the pilot(s) were planning a landing on the road due to some sort of engine failure/emergency. Then got low and slow and either tried to abort the road landing and head for the river (due to power lines, huge concrete divider in the middle of the road, etc.) and/or then VMC'd it at the end. My only question is, why did it have to ditch if one engine was operative? The first part of this posting said the captain had 4K hours but the article I read said he had14K. As one of the other posters stated, it will be interesting to find what happened with the fuel system (if anything). It's amazing to me that anyone survived.

Pretty much except for the highlighted bit. The contributing effect an operated engine has is related to the yawing motion generated by a force (the engine) acting via an arm (the distance from the CG to the engine).

Yeah, I forgot to mention the main cause huh :ooh: thanks for clarifying.
The image below also shows the advantage of a forward CG, providing a better leverage for the rudder:
Fig12-20.jpg

Last edited:
I see what you are saying regarding the Hudson A320, but that plane did not break up on impact. It truly was a miracle! but in this case the video showed the wing smash into the bridge first, with out an explosion! That seems a bit odd to me. high impact and fuel tanks usually result in some form of an explosion. Yet despite the crash, no fire damage....seems very strange

The Galloping Ghost didn't explode, catch fire, or ignite when it crashed in Reno.

Last edited:
I kind of wonder if they were trying to ditch and had the power pulled back, then realized that they were shallow and bumped the power on the still operating engine causing that sharp momentary Vmc roll. ahhh speculation...

I kind of wonder if they were trying to ditch and had the power pulled back, then realized that they were shallow and bumped the power on the still operating engine causing that sharp momentary Vmc roll. ahhh speculation...
You're the third person to suggest this, and I was thinking it was bollucks shortly after I suggested it the first time...
Geez, why am I so sensitive about people trying to sit in my arm chair??
I gotta work on my self confidence..
:(

Ah, the infamous ATR Joystick. Each pilot carries their own. Some pilots prefer customized playstation remotes.

Not really buying into the whole pilot was trying to ditch thing unless both engines weren't producing power. If the right engine was fully operational (which considering it wasn't feathered) i assume it was. There's no reason that plane couldn't have climbed out safely if it was flown correctly.

Not really buying into the whole pilot was trying to ditch thing unless both engines weren't producing power. If the right engine was fully operational (which considering it wasn't feathered) i assume it was. There's no reason that plane couldn't have climbed out safely if it was flown correctly.

I tend to agree... that's on the lower likelihood of scenarios, but it is possible.

Highest on my list is just a botched engine out and got too behind the power curve.

As reported on the local news in the UK, and from FDR traces seen elsewhere on the web included below, that they got a flameout warning for Engine 2, but shut down Engine 1. Ooops.

B9JarHTIAAAgAy3.jpg

In the wire trace...you can see the multiple restart attempts with the oil pressure...but see no fuel flow changes during that time. Would that fuel flow not show up like it did at about 54:19 with a successful restart shortly after? Or is that just my uneducated controller mind reading too much into the data.

Back