ATR down in Taipei

In the picture there is more lift generated on the right wing due to prop wash, and more drag on the left due to the dead prop.
To counter side slip toward the dead engine the left wing is raised (raise the dead).
You can see how the the airplane is now at high drag/low power.
In other words you have a lot of forces pulling/rolling to the left so its imperative to keep the rudder effective =maintain speed above VMC.

Others will hopefully chime in on that important issue.

Pretty much except for the highlighted bit. The contributing effect an operated engine has is related to the yawing motion generated by a force (the engine) acting via an arm (the distance from the CG to the engine).

Three things I noticed 1) Clearly the left engine failed 2) there doesn't seem to be much evidence of a post crash fire. In other news footage, the fuselage looks untouched by fire. At that impact velocity, a plane that has just taken off would burst into flames 3) The pilot issued a mayday saying there was an engine flame out. I suspect the investigators would be strongly focusing at the fuel tanks/system on this one....

When they US Airways A320 plunked down in the Hudson there was no fire. And I'm sure it had plenty of fuel.

I see what you are saying regarding the Hudson A320, but that plane did not break up on impact. It truly was a miracle! but in this case the video showed the wing smash into the bridge first, with out an explosion! That seems a bit odd to me. high impact and fuel tanks usually result in some form of an explosion. Yet despite the crash, no fire damage....seems very strange

I see what you are saying regarding the Hudson A320, but that plane did not break up on impact. It truly was a miracle! but in this case the video showed the wing smash into the bridge first, with out an explosion! That seems a bit odd to me. high impact and fuel tanks usually result in some form of an explosion. Yet despite the crash, no fire damage....seems very strange

AirAsia broke up too. As far as I've seen from pictures of the wreckage there doesn't appear to be any fire.

This isn't Hollywood. Just because you crash something with fuel in it (boat, plane, car, etc) does not necessarily mean that it's going to blow up. Fire is certainly a concern, and definitely a possibility if there is a source of ignition, but things don't just go "boom" because you hit something.

I still find it strange, plus the pilot (according to reports) declared "engine flame out". It could be anything, but I strongly think the fuel tanks/systems will be an initial focus. Transport category planes are suppose to handle EFAT with not much issue, provided the correct procedures are followed. The left engine clearly failed, as for the right, the jury is still out on how much power it was producing. But, even though I may be wrong, my gut suspects fuel issue.

And I'm not naive in thinking everything goes boom on impact. My opinion is based on the footage, it seemed rather surprising there wasn't much of a post crash fire. And notice i used the word "usually"!

And I'm not naive in thinking everything goes boom on impact. My opinion is based on the footage, it seemed rather surprising there wasn't much of a post crash fire.

Just a thought, but it went almost directly into the water it looked like after the impact with the road. Wonder if the water could have cooled the engines quickly enough to help stop a fire or explosion from occurring.

This isn't Hollywood. Just because you crash something with fuel in it (boat, plane, car, etc) does not necessarily mean that it's going to blow up. Fire is certainly a concern, and definitely a possibility if there is a source of ignition, but things don't just go "boom" because you hit something.
This.

And things go "boom" even less when you immediately dunk them in several million gallons of water.

Regardless of post crash fire or not, the pilot reportedly said "mayday, mayday engine flame out",

It looks highly likely the left engine failed after take off, while the right engine, we not sure about how much power it was producing. In any case, its a sad event, but its a given the fuel system will be checked out.

Michael Bay Syndrome. AmIrite?

Fricking Free for All! Just how many rescue boats do they need?

dpjwhl.png

I see what you are saying regarding the Hudson A320, but that plane did not break up on impact. It truly was a well designed airplane, but in this case the video showed the wing smash into the bridge first, with out an explosion! That seems a bit odd to me. high impact and fuel tanks usually result in some form of an explosion. Yet despite the crash, no fire damage....seems very strange

FTFY. Be very careful throwing the 'magic' word around.

Back