Yeti Airlines crash ATR 72

Oof. A demo with pax on board?

When I went through PC12 training the only hull loss was from someone training in the aircraft, demoing the "impossible turn".

*of course since then plenty of them have been wrecked. Including the one I used to fly.

Oof. A demo with pax on board?
Where have you been ?? More common than you think !
AF296Q (Famous first A320 Crash), 2012 SSJ crash in Indonesia etc... there are a tons of such incidents, some smaller airlines do it to save money, instruct while getting revenue...
You can do your own research and you'll dig out some very scary occurrences.

Alright, so I was 100% wrong on the Q (just to call myself out and clear up bad info).

The Q400, if you select the condition levers to below 850 in flight, you'll get a PEC caution and the prop will go max RPM's and be stuck there. The big thing is not going below flight idle on landing (cause they will feather). Not sure what the ATR does/will do.

I went back in my notes of things that happened back in the day (not to me, this was another crew out of MFR in the morning). We had a crew takeoff early morning (it was 5am something, MFR-PDX according to my notes) and they selected the condition levers below 850. Dual PEC caution, ran checklist and returned to MFR. During landing, the pilot's went below flight idle and both props feathered. Aircraft stuck on runway/runway closed.

Granted, it's been 3 years, 2 different airplanes and a different airline ago, but going to give myself grief on not remembering this.

Where have you been ?? More common than you think !
AF296Q (Famous first A320 Crash), 2012 SSJ crash in Indonesia etc... there are a tons of such incidents, some smaller airlines do it to save money, instruct while getting revenue...
You can do your own research and you'll dig out some very scary occurrences.
Apparently. First I've heard of it.

Wasn't AF296Q a demo flight for the press? That's a little different than caging an engine for some engine out work with paying passengers onboard.

Apparently. First I've heard of it.

Wasn't AF296Q a demo flight for the press? That's a little different than caging an engine for some engine out work with paying passengers onboard.
Research it if I recall well, there were even kids in the flight ! I think kids were among the dead. It is a very common practice around the world, you just only hear about it when disaster strikes.

OK you owe me 2Mins... :biggrin:

"This particular flight was the A320's first passenger flight (most of those on board were journalists and raffle winners). The low-speed flyover, with landing gear down, was supposed to take place at an altitude of 100 feet (30 m); instead, the plane performed the flyover at 30 ft (9 m), skimmed the treetops of the forest at the end of the runway (which had not been shown on the airport map given to the pilots) and crashed. All the passengers survived the initial impact, but a woman and two children died from smoke inhalation before they could escape after struggling to unfasten the seat-belt."

Last edited:
Back