AS application question-employment history

What's going on with the Airbus? Phasing them all out? Are they old or Alaska just hate them?
It’s funny, we’re actually INCREASING Airbus lines late this year and next as they’re bringing some parked ones back on line. They want to have the lift just in case there’s any “delivery delays” with the MAX (i.e. in case Boeing finds anything else wrong with them). Then they’ll slowly wind them down until they’re gone in the next few years.

I imagine by the time 2023 comes around, they will be taken by somebody and exit stage left.
100%. Seems very silly and inefficient to have a fleet of just 10 321s and everything else 737s. They’ll unload them as soon as they’re able and they should have no problem with that. Then they can get back to the important business of slapping “Proudly All Boeing” on the sides :D

It’s funny, we’re actually INCREASING Airbus lines late this year and next as they’re bringing some parked ones back on line. They want to have the lift just in case there’s any “delivery delays” with the MAX (i.e. in case Boeing finds anything else wrong with them). Then they’ll slowly wind them down until they’re gone in the next few years.

100%. Seems very silly and inefficient to have a fleet of just 10 321s and everything else 737s. They’ll unload them as soon as they’re able and they should have no problem with that. Then they can get back to the important business of slapping “Proudly All Boeing” on the sides :D

The biggest wildcard will be the potential (likely) SFO base closure. How will those guys bid? No one knows. But like the NYC closure, they will displace to any position even if there isn’t an opening and push the junior guy down/out.

The biggest wildcard will be the potential (likely) SFO base closure. How will those guys bid? No one knows. But like the NYC closure, they will displace to any position even if there isn’t an opening and push the junior guy down/out.
Yep great question. Hopefully it stays open but like you, I think that it won’t. I feel just awful for the guys/gals that came out west to live in base, only to have the rug pulled once again (potentially). Tough business this is.

First new hire class will be November, not sure if they're coming from a pool or yet to be interviewed.

Big bid award also came out today, junior captain is SEA July 2015 hire.

Last edited:
For prospective hires or anyone interested, here's the most junior folks in each base (Mar 2020 was the last class):

LAX - A320 - Mar 2020
737 - Mar 2020

SFO - A320 - Mar 2020

ANC - 737 - Mar 2019

PDX - 737 - Jan 2019

SEA - 737 - Feb 2020

I'm bored so here are the captains too:

LAX - A320 - Sep 2013
737 - Aug 2013

SFO - A320 - Apr 2012

ANC - 737 - Aug 2014

PDX - 737 - Jan 2015

SEA - 737 - Jul 2015

Annual retirements:

2022 - 98
2023 - 35
2024 - 43
2025 - 66
2026 - 64
2027 - 91
2028 - 75
2029 - 104
2030 - 89
2031 - 102

Pilots in Jun 2021: 2976
Pilots in Oct 2021: 2692

Some napkin math tells me, with the low retirement numbers, someone hired now would have about a 12 year upgrade (with no growth).

Sorry for the long post but hopefully someone finds the stats interesting!

Last edited:
Pilots in Jun 2021: 2976
Pilots in Oct 2021: 2692

Not quite. That bolded portion are pilots on “base position lists” which are only “Active” and “EIL” pilots. That does not include REIL pilots, Mgt pilots, medical leave pilots, personal leave pilots, etc.

The accurate total master pilot number is published (contractually) 2x a year in the master seniority list published February and August.

The future is not very bright at AS right now, go in with eyes wide open and do your research. All the IT issues and cockups lately that the application has caused for people is the same way they run the company.

And to think there are pilots here who are so paranoid they put a sticker on their iPad camera hole. As if this shop would actually have the ability to monitor you on video, and have someone sitting down that records, views, and stores those videos. The Commodore VIC 20 can’t process all that.

Anyway, time for you to study Boeing. Just don’t be the guy in class who says “well on the Airbus, we did…….”

And to think there are pilots here who are so paranoid they put a sticker on their iPad camera hole. As if this shop would actually have the ability to monitor you on video, and have someone sitting down that records, views, and stores those videos. Hahahaaaa.

Anyway, time for you to study Boeing. Just don’t be the guy in class who says “well on the Airbus, we did…….”

Management’s apathy and the chaos that it creates for Air Group’s employees is far, far worse than any intentional efforts.

It’s most important to know when considering employment at AS that management isn’t concerned with their employees economic future, health or quality of life.

The only concern I can see is the bottom line and virtue signaling around any social issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Management’s apathy and the chaos that it creates for Air Group’s employees is far, far worse than any intentional efforts.

It’s most important to know when considering employment at AS that management isn’t concerned with their employees economic future, health or quality of life.

The only concern I can see is the bottom line and virtue signaling around any social issue.

So……. in other words…….. like every airline in America today. ;)

So……. in other words…….. like every airline in America today. ;)

My experience so far:

91/135. Multiple operations that would actually vindictively and in very real terms hurt employees as a means of control.

SkyWest. Which as my cousin so aptly put: “treated employees just well enough to prevent them from unionizing.”

Alaska. What seems to be a very indifferent management that will not act proactively. Also, extremely out of touch with industry standards. Only when an employee becomes a problem will they be acknowledged. Unless there is a virtue signaling angle that suits public relations.

Back