AS application question-employment history

Window open now July 1 for two weeks.

Latest hiring number “at least 300” and first class in October.
Their Facebook page says it’s only open until the 7th.
EBBFAC15-60AA-4D18-8AED-A08F6CE4F4C7.jpg

I’m sure it won’t happen, but it would be great if the response to the window was anemic at best. Maybe then our negotiators would gain a little leverage and the company would have to do something to address our substandard contract.

I’m sure it won’t happen, but it would be great if the response to the window was anemic at best. Maybe then our negotiators would gain a little leverage and the company would have to do something to address our substandard contract.

@Skåning covered this very well on post #686

Sadly I have to agree with him and what you're saying will never ever happen.

@Skåning covered this very well on post #686

Sadly I have to agree with him and what you're saying will never ever happen.

Didn’t really answer the main question, what leverage do the pilots have? Why would management give anything at this point?

The nuclear option (strike) isn’t happening. No way is the NMB or PEB going to let a strike happen considering this place is a sole-source for several Alaska communities. The flying is state essential. The other two pieces of leverage are attrition and newhires. I keep hearing the attrition threat but it has yet to play out. You have the standard guys leaving (and most of those below 35 who would have left anyway no matter how good this place is because they always wanted one of the big 3). Lastly, newhires. With 5 bases specifically on the west coast, and a couple of those bases (ANC, PDX) a sole mainline passenger pilot base, you will always have people that apply for those reasons alone. Hiring numbers will always be smaller than the big 3 so they don’t need a huge bunch, just enough to fill the hiring need.

So what’s the leverage?

It was supposed to be open for 2 weeks. Not sure why it was only for 7 days to begin with.
I agree. They should have just opened it for 2 weeks. Or just left it open indefinitely.

For a pilot group that’s desperate for any sign of leverage, the extension of the window is just chum in the water. I doubt it means much, if anything. I was only (half) kidding when I wondered if they needed more qualified applications. I think they will have their pick, as usual. Like you and others have said, Alaska will never have any issues finding pilots.

I do wonder though, for a company so intent on increasing regional flying, how they are planning on staffing QX and making sure OO can meet demand in the future? If/when they start canceling regional flights due to lack of crews, maybe they’ll begin to up-gague to mainline?

I don’t know, I’m really just grasping at straws at this point. I’m just gonna enjoy the remaining time of my EIL while I can and try not to think about this place too much.

I agree. They should have just opened it for 2 weeks. Or just left it open indefinitely.

For a pilot group that’s desperate for any sign of leverage, the extension of the window is just chum in the water. I doubt it means much, if anything. I was only (half) kidding when I wondered if they needed more qualified applications. I think they will have their pick, as usual. Like you and others have said, Alaska will never have any issues finding pilots.

I do wonder though, for a company so intent on increasing regional flying, how they are planning on staffing QX and making sure OO can meet demand in the future? If/when they start canceling regional flights due to lack of crews, maybe they’ll begin to up-gague to mainline?

I don’t know, I’m really just grasping at straws at this point. I’m just gonna enjoy the remaining time of my EIL while I can and try not to think about this place too much.

The lack of staffing for QX is already being felt I think. They pushed back the start of QX in Kodiak for lack of appropriate pilot numbers. Could be a thing. I find it discouraging, to put it mildly, that the only comforting thought I can muster is that they can’t staff horizon so maybe we’ll get to keep more flying. Sigh.

Prospective new hires should see their stuttering and lack of foresight regarding the hiring window as a sign of how they run the organization in general. This half-assery literally permeates every part of the company. Come with eyes wide open.

Prospective new hires should see their stuttering and lack of foresight regarding the hiring window as a sign of how they run the organization in general. This half-assery literally permeates every part of the company. Come with eyes wide open.

I couldn’t have said it better myself. But to me this said it the best of all:

“On the management sign-up sheet that’s visible on the internet, as of late Wednesday the shift starting at 6:30 a.m. on Thursday still had nine out of 10 volunteer slots unfilled.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I couldn’t have said it better myself. But to me this said it the best of all:

“On the management sign-up sheet that’s visible on the internet, as of late Wednesday the shift starting at 6:30 a.m. on Thursday still had nine out of 10 volunteer slots unfilled.”

54EC5329-771C-462B-B8F5-E9E26D31BBAF.jpeg

They’ve been real quiet about the issues the ramper who hijacked and crashed a Q400 had. He almost drove it into HQ and caused way more destruction. He literally called out management on the radio as being a reason for doing what he did.

They’ve been real quiet about the issues the ramper who hijacked and crashed a Q400 had. He almost drove it into HQ and caused way more destruction. He literally called out management on the radio as being a reason for doing what he did.

Quiet you!

Back