AS application question-employment history

Roger Roger

Bottom of the list
First off, not sure if this or one of the various job hunt sub forums would be more appropriate, but here we go anyway.

So prior to the Medevac job, I spent 7.5 years at the same company (sort of). In that time, I held 3 different job titles (sometimes more than one at a time) and went through a merger/acquisition in which the company name changed. How best to break this down for the employment section? One entry? 5 entries? Something in between?

You trying for AS @Roger Roger ?? Wow, didn’t think you’d ever want to go 121!!?
Color me surprised too. You know you’d have to shave right @Roger Roger ??
Why? Its not like I hate the idea of 121, I just sort of ended up in 135 after the 2007 economic crash and stayed for a while. While I love a lot about my current job, every time I watch a 737 with Johnny Cash on the tail blast off down the Channel or pop out on the RNAV M 26 I think “man, that’s cool”. Plus second year pay is $126 an hour and that 13.5% 401k match...(numbers taken from apc).

I doubt I have much of a chance anyway, knowing some of the guys who haven’t gotten a call the last few times, but you can’t win if you don’t play.

Last edited:
Personally I would do one entry and list all the various titles.
One entry with the final (or most 'desirable') job title. Discuss at interview.
Even though the jobs were as disparate as line pilot, line mechanic, and director of maintenance? I’m still on payroll as a part time mechanic, so just one long entry showing still employed? Also @NickH I like your optimism.

Even though the jobs were as disparate as line pilot, line mechanic, and director of maintenance? I’m still on payroll as a part time mechanic, so just one long entry showing still employed? Also @NickH I like your optimism.

In this case they care about piloting, so I'd list 'Line Pilot' or similar as the job title and by that I mean 'Captain', unless you were only ever an FO. Then I'd include 'Director of Maintenance' and dates in the description section.

In this case they care about piloting, so I'd list 'Line Pilot' or similar as the job title and by that I mean 'Captain', unless you were only ever an FO. Then I'd include 'Director of Maintenance' and dates in the description section.
All of that information is broken down in the resumé....it seems a little redundant?

Do what you feel you have to do to tell Alaska your story. That’s my personal opinion. If that means a separate entry for each job you held then do that. Me personally that’s what I would do. Unless it was like FO to Captain. I’d just list that as one entry.

Do what you feel you have to do to tell Alaska your story. That’s my personal opinion. If that means a separate entry for each job you held then do that. Me personally that’s what I would do. Unless it was like FO to Captain. I’d just list that as one entry.
I think after pondering it, and reading this response, I’ve got a direction to go. I think, with my less competitive flight times, it’s to my advantage to draw attention to the high level of responsibilities and accomplishments in the management job, and list the other positions held as one entry with the Pilot part as the main feature. Thanks.

All of that information is broken down in the resumé....it seems a little redundant?

If you don't list it on your application it's less likely you'd progress far enough for them to bother reading your resume.

Also, I'm sure you already know this, but for anybody who has great experience but fewer actual flight hours, a job fair can be what gets you in the door.

The future is not very bright at AS right now, go in with eyes wide open and do your research. All the IT issues and cockups lately that the application has caused for people is the same way they run the company.

Why? Its not like I hate the idea of 121, I just sort of ended up in 135 after the 2007 economic crash and stayed for a while. While I love a lot about my current job, every time I watch a 737 with Johnny Cash on the tail blast off down the Channel or pop out on the RNAV M 26 I think “man, that’s cool”. Plus second year pay is $126 an hour and that 13.5% 401k match...(numbers taken from apc).

I doubt I have much of a chance anyway, knowing some of the guys who haven’t gotten a call the last few times, but you can’t win if you don’t play.

APC is outdated. It's not a 401K match. It's a direct contribution, they just put it in. The 401k is 15% and goes up to 15.5% in a couple months effective Jan 1.

Back