APA Facepalm

I don't identify with either. I work for American Airlines. I just gave a great example above how unions are largely ineffective and self serving. What else do you need to get this through to your mind?
Well i didn't ask you which you identify with, i asked you which you were a member of? What part of that did you not understand?

I really hope the card drive happens this time and you guys come over to a real union instead of this clown show. ALPA has warts, any union does, but coming from Teamsters the difference was night and day.

Easy there, did you get to vote on the TUMI TA or were you still on probation at UAL? Something about glass houses.

Last I checked, UAL DAL and AAL ended up with comparable contracts, no small thanks to pattern bargaining.

Congratulations on making it to your career destination. A rising tide lifts all ships.

That's not pattern bargaining.
I disagree.

“Pattern bargaining is a process in labour relations, where a trade union gains a new and superior entitlement from one employer and then uses that agreement as a precedent to demand the same entitlement or a superior one from other employers.”

DAL doesn’t get the big contract if UAL or AAL voted in their comparatively diminutive contract before. If you believe the news, DALs contract was $7 billion ish, AAL $9 billion ish, and UAL $10 billion ish.

I disagree.

“Pattern bargaining is a process in labour relations, where a trade union gains a new and superior entitlement from one employer and then uses that agreement as a precedent to demand the same entitlement or a superior one from other employers.”

DAL doesn’t get the big contract if UAL or AAL voted in their comparatively diminutive contract before. If you believe the news, DALs contract was $7 billion ish, AAL $9 billion ish, and UAL $10 billion ish.

p sure he’s familiar with the definition

I disagree.

Getting the same payrates and profit share as the guy before you isn't pattern bargaining. It's grabbing what somebody else already negotiatiated and claiming it as industry standard. Voting down a contract isn't setting a pattern. It's naming a floor.

APA did very little heavy lifting. They took what was already out there at that point. There's nothing wrong with that, but the hope is that if you take the industry standard in one place, you push the pattern forward in others. They didn't do that.

I really hope the card drive happens this time and you guys come over to a real union instead of this clown show. ALPA has warts, any union does, but coming from Teamsters the difference was night and day.

That’s worse than “You will pay enough union dues to pay for a PS5 if you vote it in” from a certain airline from several years ago.

That’s worse than “You will pay enough union dues to pay for a PS5 if you vote it in” from a certain Air Line from several years ago.

LJPYMSZVTJHPFOMJSDNZJWK6IM.jpg

Getting the same payrates and profit share as the guy before you isn't pattern bargaining. It's grabbing what somebody else already negotiatiated and claiming it as industry standard. Voting down a contract isn't setting a pattern. It's naming a floor.

APA did very little heavy lifting. They took what was already out there at that point. There's nothing wrong with that, but the hope is that if you take the industry standard in one place, you push the pattern forward in others. They didn't do that.
I don’t disagree but they really had the farthest to travel, starting from the worst contract, and negotiating with the company is the worst financial condition.

I don’t disagree but they really had the farthest to travel, starting from the worst contract, and negotiating with the company is the worst financial condition.

Totally agree. My point was all about pattern bargaining. I think for the situation they were in, they managed a good deal.

Back