Anyone done CSIP lately (12-13-14)

Sosee

1 of 3 Green aint too bad.
Hi all,
Here is the backstory:
A student of mine (I am a CFII) got his PPL a few months ago. (I took him from zero to PPL and am now middle of his IFR.) Upon completion he leans over on the flight back to our base airport and says "I want to buy a Cirrus, I think"
Of course all the warning bells in my head go off at once. 60 hour PPL, ink not dry on his temp and he's a surgeon of course. So I say "whatever you do, do NOT buy a Bonanza, lol" He gets the joke and the conversation turns to him having an appointment with the local regional sales guy for Cirrus in two days.

He returns from that meeting/demo flight with an expression not unlike a virgin in a stripclub for the first time. You know that look, glazed over eyes, a smirk like he just got away with something he wasn't supposed to do. The smirk that says he loves every second of it and the smirk that is pure adrenaline.
Yup, he bought himself a brand new, SR22T Generation 5 Platinum edition...and here is where it gets interesting:
He negotiated for Cirrus to put me through their CSIP program in Duluth, totally Gratis. (I already have completed the "Learning Strands" for all their current models via their online portal). As my student's Cirrus has the Perspective system, those are the materials I have received thus far via their online Learning Portal.

Cirrus material is pretty straight forward. Its easy to use and easy to understand.

According to their system, they are or will be sending me a package in the mail which I believe will contain the hard copy POH's and a PC Trainer for the Perspective Avionics systems.
Anyone ever received this package? Did it indeed contain the above? I am the sort of old school fogie that prefers a hard copy book in my hand over an app on my ipad. Sue me...I like to sit in the jacuzzi and read books over sitting at Startbucks reading a airplane POH but pretending its a fresh script, I just sold to Paramount or some horse hockey like that. :)

My question is this:
Has anyone here done the CSIP Program in Duluth recently? If so, what should I expect out of them?
I have to admit that I am not so thrilled with the Cirrus folks thus far because after making two phone calls to their training department requesting material to study and never getting a call back, it took a phone call from my student to his Cirrus rep responsible for taking care of his 850K purchase to finally get an email from their training department and then that email told me basically "we hear you are interested in applying for our CSIP program".
I read that and thought to myself, "can they not read?" I am not interested in "applying" because my ffin participation was directly negotiated into the contract of my student's aircraft purchase.
What I am interested in doing is spending the next three months studying the POH and all Supps for the bloody aircraft I will be flying back from Duluth with my student in, since that is when we are flying out so he can accept delivery!
Does anyone have any experience, opinions, thoughts etc on the CSIP program in Duluth nowadays?
I found a couple threads buried deep in the dust of years gone by but they are massively out of date.

Cheers and thanks for the responses.

Cirrus customer service in their training department is HORRIBLE. Try calling asking for one of their pilots specifically so you can get your questions answered directly.

I sent them an email once saying "I'm interested in being a CSIP. What does it cost?" I never heard back.

I wonder if Cirrus executives know there's a crowd of CFIs who think their training department has horrible customer service?

I just stopped working for a Cirrus training facility this year in which several new owners had their CFIs go through training without much of a hiccup. I was fortunate enough to get my CSIP through an annual audit the cirrus school had to go through, as they quizzed me on the plane/procedures to the point of a "checkride" for CSIP and since I passed it was the equivalent to getting the CSIP done.

Thanks Prop and Hook.
I am looking forward to the experience. I have very limited experience in any of the Cirrus models but everyone I talk to about them, either loves them or really likes them.

The Cirrus folks did get me set up with their online learning portal and the POH's etc just arrived earlier this week along with a G1000 Perspective Training simulator.
I am anxious to get my mitts on the machine and take a peek under the cowling. For an ASEL, they really do seem quite intuitive.

I'll post updates as I move along through the fun. :)

I just did my CSIP renewal in Duluth 2 weeks ago. I been a CSIP for five or so years now.

The training department is extremely busy but just keep emailing Samantha and she will get back to you. If you need her email address pm me.

I just taught a 100 hour private pilot in an SR22 and he did fine. Cirrus likes the use of scenario based training with lots of cross countries.

Fun times! Much better than any airline job IMO!

Thanks Fly Unity.
I think you are right about the fun times! Can't wait to get my mitts on the new machine. My student I think is actually counting down the days already. rofl
Nothing like an 850K toy to reduce an adult to kid at Christmas syndrome. hehe

Update (months late of course)
Did the CSIP program back in April and then flew the new SR22T back to LA with its new owner.
I went in well prepared, having studied the POH and other materials ahead of time for several months.
Since then I have had several ferry flights via Cirrus and several Cirrus students for various ratings in their own Cirrus aircraft.

It was a great experience and the people up in Duluth were awesome all the way around.

:)

I have seen a couple CFI's get their CSIP and make a very good living doing nothing buy Cirrus instruction. If you can get a solid reputation you will get great business.

Wonderful aircraft and students, truly enjoyed my time in them.

Just out of curiosity is it possible to get a csip and ii at the same time or must one have a ii prior to beginning csip training. I've always been curious about possibly doing this just never did the ii.

Back