Ameriflight question

durind

Was wondering what people's thoughts were between different bases: how they are the runs, quality of life, anything else you might think is pertinent:
Omaha?
Dallas ?
Buffalo?
Thanks in advance! Appreciate any info or PMs

During my time there I spent a little bit of time in each base (minus CVG and DFW). SLC was by far the best run base.

But, if you had to pick from one of the above bases I listed, which one would it be and why?

Wow, I never realized how expensive it is to move across the country. I picked through some threads, and from what I can understand Ameriflight doesn't offer any relocation assistance? Do they happen to have any ties to moving companies that could help you get a better deal maybe?

Wow, I never realized how expensive it is to move across the country. I picked through some threads, and from what I can understand Ameriflight doesn't offer any relocation assistance? Do they happen to have any ties to moving companies that could help you get a better deal maybe?

Company relocating paid via
"COMAT"
Really a chieftain can move a crap load

Company relocating paid via
"COMAT"
There was a picture of a guy that piled a bunch of his stuff in a BE-99 at Pampa,TX.

From what I hear they try to get out of paying relocation when they displace people by asking "Where do you want to go?" Of course since you said you "want" in reply they are no longer required to provide assistance. That is just the rumor mill though. Better to be safe than sorry in your reply though.

Was wondering what people's thoughts were between different bases: how they are the runs, quality of life, anything else you might think is pertinent:
Omaha?
Dallas ?
Buffalo?
Thanks in advance! Appreciate any info or PMs
I've TDYed to all 3 and was based in Dallas for a bit.

Omaha: laid back as hell. No sitting at the airplane for an hour either. Show up, do your thing and get out in 15-20 minutes. Nice and quick. It's all oustation and Broken Bow and O'neil are TINY little poo holes. The ACP also does not like to let "good guys" leave. The weather in Nebraska is nasty and he's not fond of mentoring guys that haven't flown in the Midwest before. I don't blame him, but it doesn't fit with how I feel about Ameriflight. My personal take on AMF is to get your time, type rating, and ATP and get the hell out. This will prevent you from doing that in a timely manner. Not uncommon to be stuck there well past the 6 month base commitment. Also, jumpseating is almost impossible. You have to drive 2-3 hours to Omaha depending on where you're based. Not relaxing at all to me. Grand Island is a wopping 1.5 hours of flight time a day too. All that said, Hastings wouldn't be bad. You can do your run on Saturday and get back to Omaha by 10:00 A.M.

Buffalo: Also laid back, but be ready to freeze your ass off in the winter time for an hour and a half. It's also outstation, but Plattsburgh and Potsdam are better than Broken Bow or O'neil Nebraska. If you want to stay there, the Metro runs are stupid short. No flight time there after the 99.

Dallas: Annoying, but the easiest work. The ACP is also more than willing to let you leave the second an opportunity arises. I was in Lubbock, which is a mini-base now, for 3 and a half months. The problem there is that is a 3 way rotation between 2 runs and reserve. This cuts 1/3 of your flight time. More if there's a training captain there(I could feel the hate towards the end). The other outstations are also in the middle of no where. The in-station runs involve rotating as well, which cuts a lot of flight time. San Antonio is about the same size as Dallas now and has the same crap going on. Mostly, it's crotchety UPS management personally giving pilots a hard time or forcing Ameriflight to change things for the worst. Researve in Lubbock now for example involves showing up an hour and half early(ridiculous) and staying at the airport until everyone is either 60% of the way to their destination or takes off out of their intermediate stop. That means you're reserve in the morning from 5A.M. until 10:30 sometimes. That's not CVG bad, but it's so unnecessary that it mentally irritates you to no end.

I got lucky with flight time in Dallas, training captain helped. I would do Buffalo and try to get Plattsburgh. Grab a Metro/1900 somewhere else as soon as you can and try to get 1000-1500 hours in 1-2 years and then find something that pays better. My humble opinion of course.

Oh, and Puerto Rico(Aguadilla specifically) is tits if you want exotic weekends. :)

I'd say it's a tie between BFI and SLC for best base overall. Senior senior people working there though. CVG sounds like the worst. MIA could be cool like PR, but the duty days are 2 hours longer, so no nightly beach time relaxation there.

I have enjoyed my time in Phx, although I will admit that I'm in the minority lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Back