AMERICAN HIRING June 2022.

You cant go wrong by going to any of the 4 major pax and 2 major cargo. The contracts are all pretty similar. There are more similarities than differences. I think we have a pretty good contract that favors junior dispatchers more than the others. No junior manning, a rotating schedule where everyone gets weekends off at somepoint during the year, everyone gets a line so no reserve dispatchers, and ECB to help get holidays off. Leapfrog bids help junior dispatchers on a short term basis get more senior lines and vacation days.

I would advise anyone older than 40 to seriously consider the QOL aspect of AA and every other major. A significant number of dispatchers younger than 40 have been hired over the last ten years. With there being a decent number of dispatchers age 40-55 at every major, the seniority game is not in your favor. It is still a good career to be in but you will spend much of it and likely all of it working the desks, shifts and days that everyone else didnt want.

What is the first day of interviews?

AA has interviews starting this week from what my buddy who got an interview on Thursday (June 9)…

Also, for ones who have not gotten emails or calls. People have gotten emails/calls for testing/interviews 2-3 days after initial round goes out as well. If it shows in progress you are still in the running.

You cant go wrong by going to any of the 4 major pax and 2 major cargo. The contracts are all pretty similar. There are more similarities than differences. I think we have a pretty good contract that favors junior dispatchers more than the others. No junior manning, a rotating schedule where everyone gets weekends off at somepoint during the year, everyone gets a line so no reserve dispatchers, and ECB to help get holidays off. Leapfrog bids help junior dispatchers on a short term basis get more senior lines and vacation days.

What is ECB?

What is ECB?

ECB is a perk that AA Dispatchers have in their contract, which they they can basically bank/collect hours instead of getting for them paid today.

It’s basically the same as you work a holiday such as Memorial Day, you get paid double time or you can bank that extra day if pay.. by banking those extra hours of pay for the holiday, you are credited with ECB. Ecb can be cashed out at anytime. Meaning you could stack up 4-5 holidays then cash it out when kids go back to school, a vacation, or a surprise bill comes up.

ECB is a perk that AA Dispatchers have in their contract, which they they can basically bank/collect hours instead of getting for them paid today.

It’s basically the same as you work a holiday such as Memorial Day, you get paid double time or you can bank that extra day if pay.. by banking those extra hours of pay for the holiday, you are credited with ECB. Ecb can be cashed out at anytime. Meaning you could stack up 4-5 holidays then cash it out when kids go back to school, a vacation, or a surprise bill comes up.

ECB can be collected for holidays and overtime work. It can be given to other dispatchers to work your shift without the need for a trade. Depending on the day and how much a dispatcher wants the day off determines how much ECB it will cost.

SWA has cash offers for shifts, AA has ECB. A junior dispatcher can usually find someone willing to work a holiday for ECB.

The ECB gets cashed out at the dispatchers rate that has the ECB. So if a junior dispatcher pays a senior dispatcher ECB for a day off, it gets cashed out at the senior dispatchers rate. It can be a nice way to make OT money without adding to your OT days. OT gets awarded first by least OT days worked.

Last edited:
To those who already tested/interview, did they say class date and how many they will hire? Thanks.

Does anyone else find it odd that AA doesn't provide hotel accommodation... I have had past interviews over the years at regionals/cargo that provided a hotel room when flight schedules didn't work in getting to the interview day of... IDK seems pretty off putting for a mainline to just flat out say no ...

Does anyone else find it odd that AA doesn't provide hotel accommodation... I have had past interviews over the years at regionals/cargo that provided a hotel room when flight schedules didn't work in getting to the interview day of... IDK seems pretty off putting for a mainline to just flat out say no ...

They are saving all their cash for pilots right now -- SWA doesn't pay for the hotel either.

They are saving all their cash for pilots right now -- SWA doesn't pay for the hotel either.
then everything should be online / virtual if you really want to save money… it’s odd how your past dispatch experience doesn’t matter as much as some random dispatch test ..

Last edited:
Back