AirNet interview 5/14/08

jrh

I interviewed at AirNet yesterday. Not sure how well I did. I think everything was great except for a lousy sim ride. Here was the entire process:

Airlined in the day before and got in to town about noon. Did "sim prep" session with Walter Robinson (one of the recruiters/pilots I believe) at 3:00 p.m. Walter's a nice guy, decent instructor, just kind of quiet and gets straight to the point. I *HIGHLY* recommend doing sim prep the day before the actual interview.

They have Frasca 142 sims set to simulate Barons. This was my first time flying a sim. I have a couple hours in a PCATD from several years ago, but it's not like that counts for anything.

Basically, I sucked hardcore. The sim isn't as sensitive as the PCATD I used to fly, but it's still pretty sensitive. I found it very hard to hold altitude, particularly because I couldn't figure out the secret to trimming out a sim and I wasn't sure what baseline power settings to use for various tasks.

We worked on approaches, engine failures, and basic attitude flying for about an hour and a half.

Then I went back to the hotel, studied, ate, went to bed, got a good night's sleep, and went in for the real interview in the morning.

There were supposed to be five of us total interviewing, but only myself and two others showed up. The other two guys both had flight instructing backgrounds. One guy had about 700 TT and the other I'm not sure of his times, but I think both were going for SIC spots.

First thing we did was take a tour of the entire operation. Saw the maintenance hangar, looked inside the planes, toured the dispatch offices, etc.

Next we went in to a conference room and Craig Washka, the top recruiter, gave a presentation on the company, its history, it's future, why it's a good place to work, etc. During the presentation Craig said they were wanting to hire 150 pilots in 2008.

Next came the written test. They give a 60 question multiple choice test over IFR knowledge, multi-engine flying, aerodynamics, and weather. In general, pretty basic stuff. Straight out of the FAR/AIM mostly. Several scenario questions where pages from a DUATS weather briefing and NOS approach plate book are given and questions are asked about when an alternate is or is not needed, what the requirements for the alternate are, etc. If you're an active CFI/CFII/MEI you should have no trouble with this. I don't think I aced it, but I probably got an 85-90% without much effort.

During the written test they pulled us out for a while to do either the sim eval or one on one interview with Craig. I did the sim first.

It went like this:

Takeoff out of CMH Runway 28L. Engine failure on the takeoff roll. Reset the sim.

Takeoff, everything goes normal. Climb to 3000, fly a couple vectors. Do 50 degree bank steep turns. Do slow flight, holding 90 knots, gear and flaps extended. Reduce power in to a power off stall, recover.

Get clearance to hold as published over the APE (Appleton) VOR. For me it was a direct entry. While flying to the VOR the attitude indicator failed. Before I got to the hold it "fixed" itself. Entered the hold, was cleared for the VOR-A approach in to Newark-Heath. Flew the procedure, had to go missed. On the missed, had an engine failure. Flew the missed approach on one engine.

Got vectors for the ILS 28L in to CMH. Shot the ILS single engine to minimums, broke out, and landed single engine. That was it.

I definitely didn't fly that great in the sim, but I was leaps and bounds ahead of myself compared to sim prep the day before. That's why I strongly suggest doing sim prep unless you have a lot of time in a Frasca. My weakest area is probably basic attitude flying. My altitude still wandered up to 300 feet off at one point, but I never busted any minimums at least. My strong areas are probably good situational awareness, good decisionmaking/CRM, and decent procedural (following checklists, IDing navaids before use, etc.) skills.

I went back to the training room and we all had lunch together. AirNet provides lunch (sandwiches, chips, water). Very casual, informal atmosphere. We all sat around swapping stories and asking questions about the company.

After lunch I finished my written exam.

Then I went for the one on one interview with Craig. He's not too scary, but doesn't give any hint as to if he liked my answers or not. Felt sort of like an oral exam.

Started out by making sure my paperwork was in line. Asked me some basic questions about if I was willing to relocate, sign the training agreement, etc.

Then he asked these questions:

What twin are you most familiar with? (Turbo Seminole)

Tell me about the engines in that plane. (Turbocharged, 180 hp, carbeurated (sp?). He asked me if it was possible to have a turbocharged, carbeurated engine. I wasn't sure if he was seriously curious because Turbo Seminoles are rare and he'd never heard of them, or if he was trying to mess with me. I told him it'd been a year since I'd flown it, and it was fuzzy in my memory, but I was fairly certain it was carbeurated. He just nodded and moved on.)

How can you tell that the landing gear is down and locked? I told him three green lights, mirror on the engine nacelle, and aircraft performance. He said the mirror and performance don't tell me if it's *locked*. I thought for a while and told him I didn't know of any ways to verify that the gear is locked other than the lights, but in the Seminole, there's no way to force the gear down. Manual gear extension is through gravity, so if you go through the manual gear extension procedure and still can't get a light (I also talked about swapping bulbs to verify the indicators), there's nothing more as a pilot I could do, it is whatever it is. If it's unlocked, it's unlocked. I'd treat it as being unlocked and land accordingly, holding weight off the wheel as long as possible, etc. He seemed satisfied enough with that answer...not sure what he was looking for.

What should I do if I have an engine failure below Vmc while taking off? (abort the takeoff)

What should I do if I have an engine fail on climbout and can't maintain altitude at Vyse? (try Vxse)

How should I configure the plane if I know for sure I can't maintain altitude on a single engine and I know I'm going to hit the ground? (I told him a lot of the same things as a single engine aircraft emergency...pop the door, drop the gear to absorb energy on impact, cut the electrical system, make sure I'm belted, put a jacket in front of my face, point in to the surface wind...again, I'm not sure what he was looking for.)

Why do you teach students to takeoff and land into the wind? (Use less runway, have a slower groundspeed, less likely to overrun the end of the runway, less wear and tear on tires and brakes, more options for aborting a takeoff, climb/descend at a steeper angle, a lower noise footprint for the airport neighbors, easier to return to the airport in case of an emergency on takeoff, etc.)

What do you think makes a good freight pilot?

Why do you want to work for AirNet?

What are your short and long term career goals?

How do you think your coworkers would describe you?

Have you ever gone out of your way to help a customer? Tell me about a time.

What's the best part of your current job?

What's the worst part?

And that was about it. Interestingly, he never once looked at my logbooks. In fact, nobody looked at my logbooks throughout the entire interview. The whole time it seemed as though the company is more interested in what I can offer them in the future rather than what I've been doing in the past.

Let me know if you have any specific questions about the process.

Couple Questions for ya if you don't mind:

1) When did they say you would find out if you got the job?

2) Did they mention anything about junior bases, and where they need pilots the most? I'm curious because I live in PHL and would want that for a base.

3) Is the pay posted on their website still accurate?

4) How long from when you applied did you hear back?

5) Are they still looking to hire for the SIC program spots or are they more focused on hiring PICs at the moment?

Thanks

I was recently asked that same question about how you can verify that the landing gear is down and locked. My answer was similar to yours, but there are a couple more things that you can do to verify a "locked" condition. In the seminole, you will get a gear warning horn if you reduce the manifold pressure too much or if you select a flap position of 25 or 40 degrees while the gear is up. This is because there is a small micro switch on the locking mechanism of the main gear (not the squat switch). So if you put the gear handle down but do not get the three in the green, you can momentarily lower the flaps or the throttle setting and see if the warning horn sounds. If it doesn't, then your gear is locked, if it does, then something isn't locked. Also check the navigation lights, the gear indicator lights are dimmed when the nav lights are on which can make them hard to see in daylight.

Craig told me their hiring committee meets every Thursday night to decide who to invite to class. He said I'd know within a week or two.

2) Did they mention anything about junior bases, and where they need pilots the most? I'm curious because I live in PHL and would want that for a base.

They specifically emphasized their system is set up in such a way that it's impossible to know what their openings are. It literally changes every few days.

Yes. They also offer a $3000 signing bonus for PICs after passing their PIC checkride, too.

I did a phone interview one business day after sending in my electronic application through their web site (applied late Friday afternoon, phone interviewed on Monday afternoon).

5) Are they still looking to hire for the SIC program spots or are they more focused on hiring PICs at the moment?

More focused on PICs at the moment because that's what they need the most of in the short term, but still interviewing and hiring a few SICs I believe.

I was recently asked that same question about how you can verify that the landing gear is down and locked. My answer was similar to yours, but there are a couple more things that you can do to verify a "locked" condition. In the seminole, you will get a gear warning horn if you reduce the manifold pressure too much or if you select a flap position of 25 or 40 degrees while the gear is up. This is because there is a small micro switch on the locking mechanism of the main gear (not the squat switch). So if you put the gear handle down but do not get the three in the green, you can momentarily lower the flaps or the throttle setting and see if the warning horn sounds. If it doesn't, then your gear is locked, if it does, then something isn't locked. Also check the navigation lights, the gear indicator lights are dimmed when the nav lights are on which can make them hard to see in daylight.

Good to know about the MP and flaps!

Looking back on it, I should have talked about the Aztec systems. I did my MEI in the Turbo Seminole last year, but I actually flew and studied the Aztec much more in depth a couple years ago when I did my initial multi rating. Craig gave me the option of which plane to discuss because I told him I was equally familiar with both. Oh well. Better luck next time.

I submitted my application earlier this week. They called for a phone interview, but timing didn't work out for it. Monday I think I'll get that phone call again.

who did you talk to?

A few different people. Finally connected again yesterday.

I'm not done with my instructing contract until sept so they want me to just update my application and call them closer to my available date. They liked my hours and stuff and they sounded pretty willing to get me up there to interview.

A little update...

I got the rejection letter in the mail yesterday.

Of course they don't say why, but I'm guessing it's because I sucked at flying their sim. I think I did ok at the written exam and face to face interview, but I'll be the first to admit my sim performance was terrible.

Oh well. It was good experience at interviewing, and I have bigger fish to fry at home right now anyway. Hopefully I'll look back a year from now and be glad I didn't get hired, not because AirNet's a bad place, but because I'll be in an even better spot than they could have put me in.

I'd love to know how and where you can beat a year of single pilot multi engine IFR experience, the actual instrument time, and the pay, that you get from AirNet?
I'm not trying to say its impossible or that AirNet is the only thing out there; I'd just like to know, because I very much believe I made the best move possible by choosing AirNet, and would like to know if there's a better choice I could have made.

JRH - that's the right attitude. I hope something works out well for you. If you still want to work at Airnet, you can always try and interview again down the line. Good luck to you.

I'd love to know how and where you can beat a year of single pilot multi engine IFR experience, the actual instrument time, and the pay, that you get from AirNet?
I'm not trying to say its impossible or that AirNet is the only thing out there; I'd just like to know, because I very much believe I made the best move possible by choosing AirNet, and would like to know if there's a better choice I could have made.

I'm "next in line" so to speak to start flying as SIC on King Air C-90s for a local charter company. They have three C-90s and a Citation. They've told me they're just waiting for their business to pick up a little more before putting me through training, but things look promising. It's not something everybody can do, but I happen to be at the right place at the right time for them.

Then it becomes the traditional route up, going from SIC to PIC, PIC on the C-90 to SIC in their Citation, then ultimately PIC in their Citation if I stick around long enough.

Pay is similar to AirNet, with most flying happening Monday-Friday during the daytime, with very few overnight trips. I'd be home every night, have a good schedule, decent pay, and not have to relocate. So a year or two from now I could be PIC on a King air and five years from now I might be PIC on a Citation, compared to PIC on a Lear...pretty similar.

Plus I'm making decent money at the flight school I work for, and although I work a ton during the week, I'm home every night and have weekends off. What I'm saying is, it's not like I'm dying to get out of a job that I hate.

So life's not that bad. I would've liked to go to AirNet because I was really impressed by them, but I have a lot going for me where I'm at. I figure if the charter gig never materializes (entirely possible...it's aviation!) and I'm tired of flight instructing in another six months, I'll go get some sim prep and reapply to AirNet.

jrh, thanks for posting your experience. I am going out to Ohio for the interview on Tues, with the practice sim on Wed and all the testing on Thrs. Trying to get everything together right now.

Sorry you didn't get the position, but it sounds like you have a good thing going. Thanks again for writing up your experience. If it all works out for me, give me an address and I will send you a few cold ones....

Thanks again. Good luck in the future..

Justin

...PIC on a Citation, compared to PIC on a Lear...pretty similar.

Actually, the Citation may be a better first jet. When you need it to be (approaches), it's as slow as the small stuff that we've (mostly) all flown. Plus, hell.....if I can convince the DPE that I can fly a citation...you KNOW they're f-up proof!:D

Seriously sorry to hear you didn't get the offer, but the attitude you have is absolutely what you need it to be! You won't have any problems, and like you said...if you decide to, you can reapply here.

If you do go the king air/citation route, enjoy it...both fun and pretty simple airplanes. Simple is allllllllways nice!:D

-mini

Thanks

I interviewed back in early March, and I received a call from Airnet by the end of the same week that I was in the hiring pool. I continued to update my flight times every week and was beginning to get a little discouraged because of everything about commercial aviation in general that I was hearing. Just the other day, Airnet called me again and offered me a class date. I interviewed with 600TT/15ME and they hired me with 725TT. The point of this is they are still hiring SIC's but you may need to have some patience.

I interviewed with Airnet on the 29th. To second what has already been said, they are very impressive. Their hangar is amazing.... The ultimate toy shop.

As stated over and over the Sim was not a good time (mostly due to my head being unable to remove it's self from my arse). I can't say enough about how glad I was to have done the sim prep the day before. It just made the whole affair less painful. Though I am still embarrassed by the whole thing (I sucked big time).

The one thing that I can say is that everyone associated with Airnet was quality. The staff that took us through the eval process tried everything in their being to lighten things up.

This is a very professional organization, and they deffinitely know their business. They told us that they are fully staffed at the present time. They also advised of possible positive changes in the future for the growth of Airnet. It was all very well presented.

Again the sim was not fun..... But Todd did the best he could with what he had to work with.... Me. I interviewed with Bill, as he and Craig seemed to split the four of us.

It was a great experience..... And guys, sorry for the aweful sim performance. Thank you for everything.

Justin Kelly

And received the Thank you but no thank you letter today. Though honestly, it did not come as a shocker. As they said, the Sim is the killer. And it was. Thinking a vaccuum system failure was an engine failure, yeah not good..... I am an idiot. But hey, at least I don't have to worry about moving now. So I have that going for me, which is nice...

Good luck to all that are testing.

Back