8500 "Stomach, liver, or intestinal trouble"

Used2Fly

Well this is embarrassing... but I better get on with it because I need to see if I can get a 1st class medical. Over the last year and half or so I've had some issues with occasional constipation/hard stools that caused red blood in my stool at times (as well as pain during pooping). It's hemorrhoids or fissures but I'm not sure what my paperwork says. I've seen a doc, he sent me for a sigmoidoscopy that found nothing other than the rectum looked irritated with possible internal hemorrhoids. Then I picked a primary care Dr. and he prescribed me lidocaine and hydrocortisone creams, and said to take over the counter miralax (propelene glycol) to help soften stool. All of the above has helped but I wouldn't say the condition has gone away, I still get irritation and seems like something I'll have to deal with for a long time and just watch my diet, water intake, and avoid alcohol/caffeine (I still have beer sometimes though and drink caffeine to stay awake at my office job). I don't see it affecting flight duties but that's not up to me.

So my questions are:

1) On the 8500-8 for "Stomach, liver, or intestinal trouble." Do I need to answer yes? I'm not sure if this questions is inclusive of rectal/anal areas.

2) Am I required report the over the counter miralax? it's not a prescription but it's in my Doctor's records/notes.

3) Since my condition seems "open case," as in nobody has actually visually identified much whether it's hemorrhoids, fissures, or both and I still have irritation/itching symptoms... is that going to be a problem? Rectal bleeding is seriously scary but that's pretty much gone away if I stick to the recommendations. I don't know what to say my condition/diagnosis is on FAA paperwork and I don't think the FAA will be fond of something that looks like an ongoing problem.

The recommended AME in my area has been difficult to get a hold of and I've only been able to get his office staff to offer appointments or different times to call but the Dr. is never available when I try to call. Thanks for any advice!

Back