Peloton Review

Murdoughnut

Well sized member
Thought some might find this useful.

I bought the Peloton bike for my wife for Christmas, though I've ended up using it just as much as she has - which in and of itself is an endorsement since I don't enjoy exercise and haven't worked out consistently in about seven years.

Yes, the bike is expensive. The bike, plus the accessory kit (mat, shoes, heart rate monitor and weights) came to about $2.6k with tax. That included a $100 discount for being able to name someone I know with the bike - I got $100 and she got a $100 credit towards merchandise. The monthly subscription for the classes is $40. That's $40 for as many users as you want, so my wife and I use it for that same price. They do, however, often 0% financing for something like three years, so there's no reason not to take it. I think my monthly payment is like $64.

So we have had a few technical issues with the bike. The first time my wife rode it, the left pedal separated from the crank arm. I got it back in (similar to a road bike pedal/crank arm, but it seemed like the crank arm might have stripped slightly. I put in a service request and they were here a few weeks later to replace it (the bike has a one-year warranty). They would have been here in a week, except I had to keep postponing the date due to schedule conflicts. My wife and I were able to ride it while waiting, though.

After they replaced it on Friday, my wife noticed that when up in the saddle she was getting a grinding noise from the flywheel. I've put in a service request for this too, and am waiting for someone to get back to me on it within a day or two to discuss it. I don't have the problem myself - my wife does because she moves the bike laterally more than I do when riding. Still, it's something that needs to be addressed - I think the magnetic brakes are too close to the flywheel.

So despite that, I would actually highly recommend the bike for a few reasons:

1) The service is phenomenal. Every time I've had an issue I've been able to go to a live chat and get someone within a few minutes who was superb to work with. They certainly stand by their product, and even though I've encountered issues early on, I've never felt like a company was more responsive. Makes sense since they're business model is principally built on the monthly subscription.

2) The workout is fantastic. I realized that the reason I don't do well with exercising is that I won't push myself. Even while cycling I'll find a reason to cut a ride short. I can't replicate the feeling of having someone there in front of you to push you, and I'm getting far more out of these workouts than I would at the gym.

3) I can roll out of bed and get on it. I literally do that - get up at 5:15 - on the bike by 5:20 and put in a :30 ride. Burns 300 calories (for me) before work. I have trouble getting dressed and driving to the gym. This removes it entirely.

4) The bike itself is of high quality. Steel construction and high end components, with a large screen and interface.

My wife has actually stopped going to the gym and may be cancelling her membership because of this, and isn't paying for individual spin lessons anymore (at $12 a piece). So in that way, there has been some revenue benefit to it. Would be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Thought some might find this useful.

I bought the Peloton bike for my wife for Christmas, though I've ended up using it just as much as she has - which in and of itself is an endorsement since I don't enjoy exercise and haven't worked out consistently in about seven years.

Yes, the bike is expensive. The bike, plus the accessory kit (mat, shoes, heart rate monitor and weights) came to about $2.6k with tax. That included a $100 discount for being able to name someone I know with the bike - I got $100 and she got a $100 credit towards merchandise. The monthly subscription for the classes is $40. That's $40 for as many users as you want, so my wife and I use it for that same price. They do, however, often 0% financing for something like three years, so there's no reason not to take it. I think my monthly payment is like $64.

So we have had a few technical issues with the bike. The first time my wife rode it, the left pedal separated from the crank arm. I got it back in (similar to a road bike pedal/crank arm, but it seemed like the crank arm might have stripped slightly. I put in a service request and they were here a few weeks later to replace it (the bike has a one-year warranty). They would have been here in a week, except I had to keep postponing the date due to schedule conflicts. My wife and I were able to ride it while waiting, though.

After they replaced it on Friday, my wife noticed that when up in the saddle she was getting a grinding noise from the flywheel. I've put in a service request for this too, and am waiting for someone to get back to me on it within a day or two to discuss it. I don't have the problem myself - my wife does because she moves the bike laterally more than I do when riding. Still, it's something that needs to be addressed - I think the magnetic brakes are too close to the flywheel.

So despite that, I would actually highly recommend the bike for a few reasons:

1) The service is phenomenal. Every time I've had an issue I've been able to go to a live chat and get someone within a few minutes who was superb to work with. They certainly stand by their product, and even though I've encountered issues early on, I've never felt like a company was more responsive. Makes sense since they're business model is principally built on the monthly subscription.

2) The workout is fantastic. I realized that the reason I don't do well with exercising is that I won't push myself. Even while cycling I'll find a reason to cut a ride short. I can't replicate the feeling of having someone there in front of you to push you, and I'm getting far more out of these workouts than I would at the gym.

3) I can roll out of bed and get on it. I literally do that - get up at 5:15 - on the bike by 5:20 and put in a :30 ride. Burns 300 calories (for me) before work. I have trouble getting dressed and driving to the gym. This removes it entirely.

4) The bike itself is of high quality. Steel construction and high end components, with a large screen and interface.

My wife has actually stopped going to the gym and may be cancelling her membership because of this, and isn't paying for individual spin lessons anymore (at $12 a piece). So in that way, there has been some revenue benefit to it. Would be happy to answer any questions you might have.
Lol!!!! That's gotta rank near the top of the "home-job" present list. Kinda like buying your wife a table saw. :)
"Oh, Honey! Do mind if I borrow your table saw this afternoon?"

@Murdoughnut - your experience seems to echo one of my co-workers. His last company had an interesting little bennie that each employee was granted a $50-75 (I can't remember how much) allowance toward a hobby or health activity. So he and his wife got one and the allowance pretty much offsets the payments. He loves it.

They’re vehicles and have every right to be there too! Never mind them not obeying traffic laws or blocking the entire lane while they struggle uphill at 15mph while you’re forced to stare at their pulsating flutes, share the road!
AgileOblongGoldenmantledgroundsquirrel-size_restricted.gif

I also got one shortly before Xmas. No issues or anything under warranty yet other than the heart rate monitor is hot garbage and I barely was able to describe my problems before "we're sending you a new one", which I was a little surprised they did so quickly but hey, no complaints here.
I've never been that into riding my bike outside, it just doesn't happen and I don't have a nice one. I am happy however to, as OP said, get out of bed and get on a bike in my living room. I also get to stare at a hot gay coach (Cody) that really pushes me to go further than I would on my own, I end up getting a great workout. It's a really nice spin bike... looks good, solidly constructed, feels "pro grade" which is always the issue with home workout gear.
Is it expensive? Sure. It's my health though, it's worth the money to me.

I’m not a fan of spin classes as they have never held my attention. I have heard great things about the bike and it’s programs. It’s all about finding something that you’ll actually do. I ride around 7-9000 miles outdoors a year split between road biking, mountain biking, fat tire bike and gravel road rides. In the winter I put one of them on a wahoo kickr wheel off resistance trainer. Trainer was $1000 and I use Zwift with Apple TV for $15/month. Between “group” rides, structured training and races, there is plenty to hold my attention. Always have Netflix running on a bar mounted iPad holder.

I'd love a Peloton but it was a bit out of budget for me. Ended up purchasing a cheaper spin bike from Amazon to create a DIY-Peloton using Peloton's subscription service on my iPad ($20/month) and have had great results (in combination with a Wahoo cadence and heart rate monitor). You don't get quite the same features and experience as having their actual bike, but it's a good alternative if you're not quite ready to shell out the cash for their bike.

Mine will likely shatter into a million pieces at the pace I'm using it, at which point I'll probably upgrade to the actual bike as I've been impressed with their classes and subscription service.

I'd love a Peloton but it was a bit out of budget for me. Ended up purchasing a cheaper spin bike from Amazon to create a DIY-Peloton using Peloton's subscription service on my iPad ($20/month) and have had great results (in combination with a Wahoo cadence and heart rate monitor). You don't get quite the same features and experience as having their actual bike, but it's a good alternative if you're not quite ready to shell out the cash for their bike.

Mine will likely shatter into a million pieces at the pace I'm using it, at which point I'll probably upgrade to the actual bike as I've been impressed with their classes and subscription service.

This is what I’ve done at a cost of about 10% of what the peloton purchase would be.

Back