34, Father of 2, I HAVE to fly!

You've never worked at an airline Patrick. It really is that kind of job. You even leave the job at the airport when you go to the hotel at night.

The problem I sometimes struggle with is the countdown during my time home. It's always a countdown in days and hours to when I'm gone again because I know its several days before coming home. 5 day trip, 1 day off 5 day trip like last month can wear on some.

That actually sounds...amazing

I'm in the military with a wife and a young daughter probably making half of what you're making with 14 years. I still find it to have some extra cash laying around for flight training and flying personal with my wife and daughter. If you manage your budget around and invest, you'll be fine. It also helps when you have your spouse that will plan on working. My wife is a full-time stay at home mom. Child care in my area is insane crazy even though, we do spend money for our 4 year old daughter's education. What airport in Charlotte are you at? Monroe? Concord?

I'm over on the Southwest side of town - closest to the Rock Hill or Gastonia airports. And you are right, with the right money management and priorities I can make it happen. And it will - honestly I know most people recommend doing as much all at once as possible, but if I can fly just a few times a month I'll make progress and feel better about the whole thing, even if it takes more hours in the long run. Hope you all had a Merry Christmas with your families!

And it will - honestly I know most people recommend doing as much all at once as possible, but if I can fly just a few times a month I'll make progress and feel better about the whole thing, even if it takes more hours in the long run.

If you are planning on flying for hire, you are going to need 250 hours anyway to get to Comm ASEL/CFI. So, it really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things how long a private certificate on instrument rating takes you. Do your best to fly once a month, and you will get there eventually.

I'd put it this way, I'm kind of in a similar position.

You don't HAVE to fly, you really WANT to fly, and that's ok. What you HAVE to do, is put food in your kids mouths and a roof over their head, I'm glad that you seem to you have that covered. I'm 32, got my Commercial certificates 3 years ago, and only 2 years ago got a p/t flying job to build time (150 hrs a year). Would I love to be able to go fly survey for a year and hit 1500 / etc to apply to the regionals, you bet your ass (You can totally say ass here), but, I have a 2 and 6 year old and a stay at home wife...if I don't work people get hungry. It sounds like you have a plan, with your wife graduating next year / etc. That gives you time to work on your ratings and start networking. Unless you have cash saved up, paying as you go / can afford will slow down progress a bit, but do go into debt for flight training, it's not worth it. The airlines / charters / etc aren't going anywhere. Are we getting into it later in life and lowering our overall earning potential, but a metered approach is def. the way to go. Good luck!

If borrowing money is an option, look into a Cessna 150 that is close to TBO. Fly as long as it is safe to fly and then sell it. You will be surprised you may not lose anything. For less than $3500, you can do a TEOH and walk away unscathed. But before you venture down this part, find a trusted, respected and qualified IA for a pre-buy inspection. There are C-150's out there for $12 to $15K.

NitroRoo I completely understand where you are coming from. I graduated HS in 1999 got married in 2000 and 2 days after our wedding my wife and I packed up and moved to Vero Beach where I attended FlightSafety Academy. Always wanted to fly, loved the school absolutely loved everyday being in an airplane. Got my Commercial MEL/SEL Instrument Rating, 9/11 happened and the industry tanked after that. Couldn't get into the instructor program found out my wife was 3 months pregnant and I was kinda stuck. She got a good job offer back in our hometown in Ohio so we packed up and moved back home. Been here ever since and I never sat in an airplane again. Fast forward to now my gut hurts when I think what could have been if I would have just stayed in Florida and we roughed it. I have 2 cousins in the 74 for Atlas and countless friends at majors or fractionals. Life happens and we make the best of it. Have 3 kids, my wife has a great career with a good salary and I am attending our local college to get my degree in accounting. I do miss aviation though, its all I wanted to do but it is what it is. Keep fighting for what you want, no excuses. I'm 35 and if I had to do it all over again I would have sent my wife home and I would have stayed in Florida and found a CFI program. Stay after it!!!!

Last edited:
Or fly 135 for a company that wants you to do more than just fly, or work in the training department, or...

If anything in my experience this has not been a career you could leave at the office.
You put yourself in that position with your current job though. On my days off, I didn't answer an email or a phone when I worked there. I didn't exist. And no one expected differently.

Back