Aerial Mapping - Beginning of Season Discussion

I have started the hiring process for Northern States about a week ago. They emailed me today and said they would give me a status update by Noon EST tomorrow. This is after sending in my resume, fiing out a questionnaire and doing a timed test via email. So, they may eb already close to finishing up hiring, but still worth a try.

Email to hrx@northernstatesaviation.com.

David

i never said i was opposed to traffic/pipes/skydivers/etc

in fact i have solicited insight on this type of work, yet no one has advanced any *specific* places to check out, and the places i have checked out on my own have turned me down due to my hours.

and i feel like im wasting my time and breath with the CFI issue. cfi is not an option for me financially at this point even if i was IN LOVE with the idea of being a cfi. hence why i am looking for a JOB.

:banghead:

i never said i was opposed to traffic/pipes/skydivers/etc

in fact i have solicited insight on this type of work, yet no one has advanced any *specific* places to check out, and the places i have checked out on my own have turned me down due to my hours.

and i feel like im wasting my time and breath with the CFI issue. cfi is not an option for me financially at this point even if i was IN LOVE with the idea of being a cfi. hence why i am looking for a JOB.

:banghead:

Listen, nobody is trying to get down on you personally. The job market is horrible and those entry level jobs are not so entry level anymore. I can't find a job right now with 500TT and CFI/CFII. It's just the way the world is at this point in time. No point stressing about it. I understand your frustration because I and A LOT of other pilots are going through the same thing. It's not just you. I commend you for looking for a flight job right now but yes, with your low time, it's nearly impossible to find something besides instructing. I hate to say it, but if CFI is not an option for you, getting paid to fly might not be an option either. It's not a good reality, but it is reality non-the-less.

I have started the hiring process for Northern States about a week ago. They emailed me today and said they would give me a status update by Noon EST tomorrow. This is after sending in my resume, fiing out a questionnaire and doing a timed test via email. So, they may eb already close to finishing up hiring, but still worth a try.

Email to hrx@northernstatesaviation.com.

David

much thanks. email sent.

im still looking for the alternate universe where hard work and desire get you to this nice gated community called "the american dream"

anyway, back to topic, if anyone has anything to add.

Now that is just sad right there.

I know you're a smart guy - you're here on JC - but come on.

The American dream doesn't exist.

It was a myth generated up by - well - us as a country - make us feel more secure about ourselves.

American Dream - a lost myth, much like Atlantic the lost city. Good luck finding it.

Atlantis. . .my apologizes. The Lost City of Atlantis

Nevertheless, it's sharing a bed with the American Dream, wherever the hell that is.

How 'bout you 121 types just mosey on through to the next thread. Nothing for you to see here.

Atlantic - Not Atlantic City, NJ.

Fool!

(you going to report this post because I called you fool?)
doesn't have to as we can all view what you just said....was it necessary? can't we be just a little more kind now a days? really.... :eek:

Right. While I understand it will be hard, I refuse to accept it as 'impossible' and start filling out my McDonald's app (though, perhaps this would be the more wise decision, hell i dunno).

All I am looking for is the chance to demonstrate to someone that I am going to be that good employee, and then maybe work out something to get a few more hours in the book to make the insurance people happy
Unfortunately, it's not concerns that you might not be a good employee that are standing in your way. The reality of the situation is that everyone is hiring pilots without an established track record in most cases, so insurability is the driving factor. I do know that it costs my company twice as much to insure a 350-hr pilot as it does to insure a 500-hr pilot, which is one of the main reasons our hiring mins have risen.

My advice: look for a traffic watch or banner/glider tow or aircraft ferrying gig to help build your hours a bit. Such jobs are out there. Failing that, put up flyers around your local FBO offering your servics as a safety or ferry pilot. Many people need to shoot approaches under the hood for currency. Also, I've learned in my travels that many owner-operator types--especially older ones--often look for a warm appropriately-rated body to occupy the right seat simply a safety precaution, and many will give you some of the stick time for your troubles.

In short, hang out at the airport and network, network, network.

I think it's pretty clear what the OP was trying to get at. It doesn't quite seem to me as if he's trying to cut corners in the aviation ladder. I'm in a similar boat, building TT while instructing but stuck w/o multi time and no MEI. Many have suggested to me that I should get my MEI. Unfortunately, it's not always that easy due to financial situations. I'm glad to have a relatively stable instructing job right now.

What I got out of the thread was that he is looking for commercial pilot opportunities other than CFI. I'm sure he would instruct if it came down to it but does not have the certificate to do so. I honestly don't think that he'd pass a CFI opportunity given the current industry situation (though I know he'd prefer not to instruct)...and if he would pass up on a CFI gig then I'd be the first to say he's dumb...but it didn't seem like that was the case, to me. CFIing would pretty much be the only foot in the door for him (he knows it, so lets cut some slack).

I'm sure it's obvious to him that if nothing comes out of trying, he'll just have to get a McD's job and get the CFI if it comes down to that. Trying never hurts, though.

edit: ...and lets try to not turn this into a "Why CFIing is great" thread. I'll be the first to recommend people to instruct, but it's not for everyone. Let's leave it at that.

Got a response from Nick at Northern States Aviation today...

400TT
and 10 PIC in IMC

Hiring about 10 pilots from Aug-Sept.

doesn't have to as we can all view what you just said....was it necessary? can't we be just a little more kind now a days? really.... :eek:

I know what you guys are trying to do, and I commend that. But in certain circumstances do you not think that a simple term meant in jest or sarcasm (without having to put the :sarcasm: smiley into use) is acceptable? Or must every single friendly quip be smacked down with a furious vengeance?

I am sure it was meant as a term of endearment.

Correct.

Got a questionnaire from Northern States. I've been thinking whether or not to do it. Option A is to continue teaching and do part time back at Horizon Air. Or option B is to do aerial work. Option A is nice teaching students how to fly and getting free travel. Option B living the lifestyle of an regional pilot in a C172. Decision Decisions.

I know what you guys are trying to do, and I commend that. But in certain circumstances do you not think that a simple term meant in jest or sarcasm (without having to put the :sarcasm: smiley into use) is acceptable? Or must every single friendly quip be smacked down with a furious vengeance?

There's something to be said for managing the signal to noise ratio; there are a lot of posters who contribute zero to the signal side, and greatly to the noise side. I try to contribute more to the signal myself, even if I'm posting about unpopular subjects like GoJet.

Back