SkyLens accepting resumes for 2018-2019 season

Hi I just wanted to ask if obtaining a fcc radio permit was worth sending in an email or is that not as important. Thanks

Hi I just wanted to ask if obtaining a fcc radio permit was worth sending in an email or is that not as important. Thanks
Pilots should get one as you'll need it eventually and we will be doing more Canada this season but it's not directly considered for my hiring purposes.

11 hired. I hope 3 more today, which should finish off the regular season training roster. Email notices will likely start going out next week. There will be a backup hiring pool so all is not lost. Every year I've had to pull someone from backup at the last minute.

The roster is now set for the regular season training classes. I will now be pulling some of the remaining applications into a backup hiring pool. So far I've never made it from August to October without someone backing out or washing out for some reason. I'll be sending out email that will let you know if you are in the backup hiring pool or if we are passing on you. It may take me a another week or two to get all those sent.

Bryan - I'm also curious if you are looking to fill any spots for the midseason. Also, what is the preferred method to update our resume with you?

SkyLens will be immediately accepting and reviewing resumes for 3 to 5 pilot seats for a Feb 1 deployment. Training will begin January 21st 2019. To be competitive for this class you must have a single-engine AND multi-engine commercial certificate OR previous experience flying for a Pictometry/Eagleview vendor. Go to our website employment page and follow the submission instructions exactly.

Pilot Employment

SkyLens will be immediately accepting and reviewing resumes for 3 to 5 pilot seats for a Feb 1 deployment. Training will begin January 21st 2019. To be competitive for this class you must have a single-engine AND multi-engine commercial certificate OR previous experience flying for a Pictometry/Eagleview vendor. Go to our website employment page and follow the submission instructions exactly.

Pilot Employment

@pilotbry - a question I've been meaning to ask you:

You make it clear that a CMEL is needed, but I've also noticed that you fly quite a few C172s. Is the requirement for the CMEL so that you can easily move pilots between airframes depending on the job need or is it a situation where you simply hire into the Aztec and the 172s are the 'filller' or backup roles? Thanks in advance - hope this isn't a dumb question.

@pilotbry - a question I've been meaning to ask you:

You make it clear that a CMEL is needed, but I've also noticed that you fly quite a few C172s. Is the requirement for the CMEL so that you can easily move pilots between airframes depending on the job need or is it a situation where you simply hire into the Aztec and the 172s are the 'filller' or backup roles? Thanks in advance - hope this isn't a dumb question.
With few exceptions, everyone starts in the 172. However, the new generation camera rigs are too big and heavy to fly on a 172. They require an Aztec. As the older rigs are gradually retired so will be the 172s and Aztecs will take their place. This process will take several years but Aztecs already make up 37% of my total fleet. So to answer your question, the more potential twin pilots I have, the deeper the bench is for Aztec pilot replacements when needed. I like to have at least three of the Cessna pilots completely insurance qualified, signed off in the Aztec and trained on the new camera system at any given time. Generally once upgraded to Aztec the pilot stays Aztec but sometimes in a pinch we may move a twin pilot back to single temporarily. Since I get 5x to 6x the number of resumes from pilots w multi ratings than the total number of seats available for a given class, I never really need to hire anyone without a twin rating for a scheduled class/deployment. That's not to say that it is impossible. Other factors calc into it. Previous experience with Pictometry/EagleView camera systems is huge. In a situation where a pilot leaves mid-contract (whether voluntarily or not) it often requires a replacement that can pack up and be in Louisiana in 24-48 hours so a CSEL-only pilot can easily slide into that slot if he/she is flexible enough to be able to leave at the drop of a hat. For this particular class I only need 3-5 seats (TBD next week pending contract extensions) and I've already gotten 31 resumes in the last 16 hours.

Applied!

@pilotbry - can you update us on the 18-19 season, curious on how things are going in the field? Not sure if you share the details of any specific projects but any info for an outsider looking in, thanks!

I'm going to stop accepting resumes for the January seats as of now. I got slammered with 48 resumes in two days so I need to start processing in order to make the timing work. We will have another class in May for the Summer season. You should send updated resumes the third week of April. I cannot stress enough the importance of getting your multi certificate and as much multi time as possible in order to be competitive for this job. The single engine aircraft are gradually being replaced by twins so the situation is only going to get more difficult for pilots with no multi cert or time. Thanks, all.

I'm going to stop accepting resumes for the January seats as of now. I got slammered with 48 resumes in two days so I need to start processing in order to make the timing work. We will have another class in May for the Summer season. You should send updated resumes the third week of April. I cannot stress enough the importance of getting your multi certificate and as much multi time as possible in order to be competitive for this job. The single engine aircraft are gradually being replaced by twins so the situation is only going to get more difficult for pilots with no multi cert or time. Thanks, all.
I’m amazed that Aztecs are still available in decent enough shape to be worth the effort of modifying. I’d have thought they were all either run-out 135 hulks or ramp mummies by now.

UPDATE: I've processed the applications and have 12 very impressive candidates in the 1st tier. Two more of my veteran pilots have decided to extend their current contracts through May so I only have TWO seats available to fill for this January class. I will be sending out email notifications to the 12 along with a copy of the Pilot Ops Guide for review. I hope to get that done tonight. On Wednesday I'll start making calls.

UPDATE: I've processed the applications and have 12 very impressive candidates in the 1st tier. Two more of my veteran pilots have decided to extend their current contracts through May so I only have TWO seats available to fill for this January class. I will be sending out email notifications to the 12 along with a copy of the Pilot Ops Guide for review. I hope to get that done tonight. On Wednesday I'll start making calls.
Do you send notification letters to candidates who are not on the list?

Do you send notification letters to candidates who are not on the list?
Yes - All candidates who were given and returned a SkyLens Pilot Info Sheet/Application will get acknowledgement. Resumes received not following the submission instructions or that do do meet the listed qualification minimums will not be acknowledged.

Reasons - mostly not nearly the required hour mins. These pilot schools that you young pilots are going into serious debt for are not doing you any favors graduating you with 215 hours. If ATP and Riddle et al would invest in one Piper Aztec and get everyone 10 hours in it, those graduates would practically have a guaranteed job waiting. .

Hi Bryan, could you clarify this a bit more for me because this scenario applies to me. If I were to get 10 hours in an Aztec, would the 250 hours TT still be an absolute minimum?

I currently have my commercial multi engine license with 170TT split between 100 in a C-172, 51 in a DA-42, and I’ve just started building SIC time in a DA-2000 with about 10 hours in the next week or so.

I’ve heard good things about Skylens from a former skylens pilot and also another current skylens pilot, which has me interested in doing one season with Skylens as I could hustle and build more hours in one season than what I’d fly in 2+ years of corporate flying and would accelerate my eligibility to move to upgrade to captain.

I finish up my degree in July so I’d be obligation free for the October 2019-2020 season - if I don’t hit 250 TT by then is there anything I, or anyone else in my situation, can do to be eligible to work for Skylens?

Also, I’ll probably have gotten my single engine add on by then - but you’re also mentioning a phase out of 172s due to the new equipment being too heavy - do you foresee 172s still being used in October and a commercial single engine license being necessary?

Last edited:
Hi Bryan, could you clarify this a bit more for me because this scenario applies to me. If I were to get 10 hours in an Aztec, would the 250 hours TT still be an absolute minimum?

I currently have my commercial multi engine license with 170TT split between 100 in a C-172, 51 in a DA-42, and I’ve just started building SIC time in a DA-2000 with about 10 hours in the next week or so.

I’ve heard good things about Skylens from a former skylens pilot and also another current skylens pilot, which has me interested in doing one season with Skylens as I could hustle and build more hours in one season than what I’d fly in 2+ years of corporate flying and would accelerate my eligibility to move to upgrade to captain.

I finish up my degree in July so I’d be obligation free for the October 2019-2020 season - if I don’t hit 250 TT by then is there anything I, or anyone else in my situation, can do to be eligible to work for Skylens?

Also, I’ll probably have gotten my single engine add on by then - but you’re also mentioning a phase out of 172s due to the new equipment being too heavy - do you foresee 172s still being used in October and a commercial single engine license being necessary?
Pretty sure his minimum for 250 is insurance or contract based.

How'd you get a commercial ticket at 170 hours?

Back