Aerial Mapping - Beginning of Season Discussion

im sure its more like "hey look, a naiive young pilot who doesnt know what we're getting him in to!!" ;-)

at any rate, i do appreciate the wellwishes, and also best of luck to you at your next interview!
No worries man. You're absolutely doing the right thing though, a year ago I was around 250 TT and had two offers from different Pictometry operators. In hindsight I really wish I would've taken one of them.

I would have liked to have the chance to prove myself in person but as far as experience there were several with significant more experience passed up so consider yourself very lucky and appreciate the offer. I found the lack of communication very frustrating and the explanations to be very odd as did TallFlyer. Good luck to you this season.

Meh, hours don't matter as much once you're given the interview. What matters more is how one can present and sell oneself in an interview. I don't think the number of hours are much of a factor at that point. If you're offered an interview, it means they are willing to hire you provided you can do well during the interview....just my opinion.
Eh, I think it has more to do with the likelihood of them bailing before the season ends--higher-time dudes tend to bail as other options open up, which creates a problem for the company.

Eh, I think it has more to do with the likelihood of them bailing before the season ends--higher-time dudes tend to bail as other options open up, which creates a problem for the company.

they also did mention this notion.

ie - i have 200 hours now, even with 800 hours in a season, im not gonna bail 3/4 of the way thru for a 135 job... since i wouldnt meet those req's

a guy with 500 hours starting could easily bail 1/2 way thru the season if he felt like it, since he would meet more req's for other jobs.

That point was discussed months ago in detail, there was no doubt left.

I would have liked to have the chance to prove myself in person but as far as experience there were several with significant more experience passed up so consider yourself very lucky and appreciate the offer. I found the lack of communication very frustrating and the explanations to be very odd as did TallFlyer. Good luck to you this season.
Sounds just like what you'd have experienced on the road if you'd gotten the job. Your contact with the "mother ship" would've been nothing but phone calls, emails, and text messages.

DWAS hired me over the phone sight unseen, never even looked at my logbook. One training flight with the owner and I was deemed good to go. I never saw him again after I departed PHX following training.

That point was discussed months ago in detail, there was no doubt left.
These guys probably weren't in on those threads.

It definitely happens, tho; we had one dude last year who put up flyers in FBOs at every new jobsite soliciting another job. Somebody finally bit the line and he landed a King Air SIC job someplace in TX just a few months into the season.

Sol, aren't you one of the guys we ran into in New Orleans in Feb?

Sounds just like what you'd have experienced on the road if you'd gotten the job. Your contact with the "mother ship" would've been nothing but phone calls, emails, and text messages.

DWAS hired me over the phone sight unseen, never even looked at my logbook. One training flight with the owner and I was deemed good to go. I never saw him again after I departed PHX following training.

I understand that I was referring to the hiring communication was just generally sporadic.

I accepted today at Northern States. Good luck to all this season and be safe, there is no "big sky" when doing this work!

they also did mention this notion.

ie - i have 200 hours now, even with 800 hours in a season, im not gonna bail 3/4 of the way thru for a 135 job... since i wouldnt meet those req's

a guy with 500 hours starting could easily bail 1/2 way thru the season if he felt like it, since he would meet more req's for other jobs.

This is what I was thinking, since afterall the flying portion of the interview was pretty much a joke, I didnt see them putting much stock into the written, and we were pretty much the ones doing the interviewing. I think it was mostly them seeing who would fit in well with the group coupled with this flight-time idea. For whatever reason I guess I didnt fit the mold.

Oh well, have a good time man... just got another job offer today (on top of the backup offer, guess I have another decision to make), more CFI work which I was trying to get away from but oh well, hours are hours.

anyone hear from Landcare at all??

im at 510/70
In person interview next week. I was already travelling down there to visit family in the area and mentioned that in my cover letter. They sent me an app, I faxed it back, and got a phone call two days later.

565/20

i sent my application over a week ago and haven't heard anything back yet.

maybe i should tell him im visiting my brother who lives in ithaca

These guys probably weren't in on those threads.

It definitely happens, tho; we had one dude last year who put up flyers in FBOs at every new jobsite soliciting another job. Somebody finally bit the line and he landed a King Air SIC job someplace in TX just a few months into the season.

Sol, aren't you one of the guys we ran into in New Orleans in Feb?

that was me and a couple other RAMS guys.

Back