AMERICAN HIRING June 2022.

Does anyone else find it odd that AA doesn't provide hotel accommodation... I have had past interviews over the years at regionals/cargo that provided a hotel room when flight schedules didn't work in getting to the interview day of... IDK seems pretty off putting for a mainline to just flat out say no ...

As far as I know none of the majors offer hotels, because if they did it for one then they would need to do it for hundreds of interviewers. AA for example gets around 1k applications.. 300-350 interview/test and you have to figure nearly 250 or more fly in.. 250 rooms needing to be picked up at say $70-80 per room (when rooms would likely cost at or more than $100) is still nearly $18000 on the low end…

if it’s off putting, I’d say don’t interview and do not take that as a jab but that mentality isn’t what AA is looking for in the face to face. $40-50 buck investment in a hotel room should be an easy choice if you actual think you got a chance at the job

then everything should be online / virtual if you really want to save money… it’s odd how your past dispatch experience doesn’t matter as much as some random dispatch test ..

The irony of suggesting let’s do online interviews and not face to face, when online meetings/ business meetings have taken a notable chunk of revenue from airlines as we are likely head into a recession…

Also, the irony that numerous auto rejections were sent out to people who didn’t meet certain experience levels in this round of hiring and previous hirings rounds…

They are saving all their cash for pilots right now -- SWA doesn't pay for the hotel either.
When SWA did testing in person they at least gave people the ability to pick the day they wanted to do it, and one test was late morning the other early afternoon meaning it was easy to day trip that. AA went with the "show up this day at 0700" and that is that.

...rooms needing to be picked up at say $70-80 per room (when rooms would likely cost at or more than $100)…
$40-50 buck investment in a hotel room should be an easy choice if you actual think you got a chance at the job

You went from it costing the company over $100 so they can't do it to rooms are only $40 so why can't you do it. Rooms cost upwards of $150-200+ depending where you stay, plus another $100ish for a rental car unless you uber, and then there is food. These are broke regional dispatchers who donate plasma to buy some milk. They could schedule the test and interview in a way that most could be in and out the same day and then this conversation is moot. They chose to do it in a way that makes it more difficult for people, maybe that is intentional like you suggested. Either way, best of luck to everybody that makes it out to DFW!

As far as I know none of the majors offer hotels, because if they did it for one then they would need to do it for hundreds of interviewers. AA for example gets around 1k applications.. 300-350 interview/test and you have to figure nearly 250 or more fly in.. 250 rooms needing to be picked up at say $70-80 per room (when rooms would likely cost at or more than $100) is still nearly $18000 on the low end…

if it’s off putting, I’d say don’t interview and do not take that as a jab but that mentality isn’t what AA is looking for in the face to face. $40-50 buck investment in a hotel room should be an easy choice if you actual think you got a chance at the job

The irony of suggesting let’s do online interviews and not face to face, when online meetings/ business meetings have taken a notable chunk of revenue from airlines as we are likely head into a recession…

Also, the irony that numerous auto rejections were sent out to people who didn’t meet certain experience levels in this round of hiring and previous hirings rounds…
Then they need to make a smaller pool by doing a video interview first or something like United does. Or just do the test online like Delta or Southwest. Where in the USA in 2022 are you going to get a $40-$50 hotel room lol this is hilarious. Also having to pay for an Uber and wait all day at the airport to get back home after taking a PAPER test / doing a group interview at 7am … I’m just saying it is off putting … shows their priority for this profession. Also these airlines need to stop with the ridiculous tests because I’m pretty sure dispatching experience at regionals / smaller cargo airlines is real life. Not some make believe land … let us not forget how much money all these airlines got from the government… and how much they save by using regionals … just saying .. also don’t be upset if you applied and got rejected with less than 2 years of dispatch experience … Why waste 250-330 peoples time and money when you are only looking to hire 60… again just saying

Last edited:
these airlines need to stop with the ridiculous tests

I've met some pretty dumb dispatchers in my career that no major would be interested in. With the competition the way it is, tests are a great way to save everyone's time. Most of them are not ridiculously hard. It's usually basic stuff to weed out the lazy and incompetent applicants.

Why waste 250-330 peoples time and money when you are only looking to hire 60

Oh, should they only interview 60 and just hope they'll all rockstars? This is literally how getting a job works. Companies cast a wide net and pick out the best ones.

I'm surprised how some people in here are dissatisfied with the process. At least AA has a one and done application process. Other airlines make you phone screen, then test later, and interview another day.

If you want to work for a major... You have to make these things work. If that's asking too much, they'll find plenty of other great candidates.

Best of luck.

An interview would be well worth any money you would spend to take it. I have 4 years experience so I'm hoping I'll get that chance soon.

Anyone know if those of us whos still have'nt recieved and email are still in the running?

My interview is at 0600, I did not even get 7am lol. Did other people get 7am?? Also my hotel cost $143 after taxes and that was the best I could find even on ID90 (that was close to AA). Well… guess we gotta do what we gotta do.

My date is June 22 and I still have not received flight info. I heard last time that some people did not receive flight info until the day before, but now I’m seeing so many people here have their flight info already. I guess I could non rev but would be nice to be confirmed and get to fly on the company I’m applying to. Should I email AA again and inquire?

then everything should be online / virtual if you really want to save money… it’s odd how your past dispatch experience doesn’t matter as much as some random dispatch test ..

They have hundreds, if not thousands of applicants. This helps them weed out a good number of applicants who don't know as much as others who apply. I think SWA's testing (and really the whole hiring process) was really well done. I cant speak to AAL

Additionally, i would say that 4 of the top 5 worst dispatchers I have worked with have 5 or more years of experience than i do at the regional . Just assuming that a person is a strong candidate because they have the time in is not wise for a major to do.

I've met some pretty dumb dispatchers in my career that no major would be interested in. With the competition the way it is, tests are a great way to save everyone's time. Most of them are not ridiculously hard. It's usually basic stuff to weed out the lazy and incompetent applicants.

Oh, should they only interview 60 and just hope they'll all rockstars? This is literally how getting a job works. Companies cast a wide net and pick out the best ones.

I'm surprised how some people in here are dissatisfied with the process. At least AA has a one and done application process. Other airlines make you phone screen, then test later, and interview another day.

If you want to work for a major... You have to make these things work. If that's asking too much, they'll find plenty of other great candidates.

Best of luck.
You are literally contridicting yourself by saying all of this. So you are saying every mainline dispatcher is hardworking and competent good one. If the test is so basic and adequate on finding the most hardworking competent dispatcher then why doesn't everyone who has those qualities get a 100 and get a job offer. The truth is that this profession isn't that hard to master, so they have to make up ridiculous tests and steps to weed people out. Delta’s online test had you count how many balls moved around the screen at one point ... And southwest had some random dispatch questions that no one uses on a daily basis working a live desk. Experience truly does matter but like I said it doesn't take that long to master. You can be an experienced, hardworking, competent dispatcher and still be swamped on a busy irop day... No one wants to be stuck working their butt off making nothing at a regional etc when dispatchers who do less at mainline get paid 3/4 times as much, hence the overwhelming amount of candidates. Lastly if you were an incompetient dispatcher that caused safety concerns then you most definitely won't remain working live flights ...

The one thing I agree with you is that AA does a one and done type thing which is nice

Last edited:
So does anyone know total time doing test and interviews? Got 0700 and a 1830 flight and wouldn’t want to check out of my hotel too early without having a chance to freshen up and not be stuck in a suit all day.

So does anyone know total time doing test and interviews? Got 0700 and a 1830 flight and wouldn’t want to check out of my hotel too early without having a chance to freshen up and not be stuck in a suit all day.
From what Ive been told by two friends that got hired in the last class, the test is 2 hours. Then you wait until your group is called for the in person interview which could be all the way until after lunch. Was warned it can be a pretty long day. If youre lucky to have your group called quickly you can leave after its done. The face to face is about 20ish mins from what they said. Im only packing a backpack and bringing it with me to the interview, in case Im stuck there until after check out time at the hotel. You could do that and then change your clothes after. Dang, wish I wouldve gotten 7am, and not 6am. An extra hour of sleep would be nice. Unless that was a typo on my interview email, but def says 6am for me...

Last edited:
From what Ive been told by two friends that got hired in the last class, the test is 2 hours. Then you wait until your group is called for the in person interview which could be all the way until after lunch. Was warned it can be a pretty long day. If youre lucky to have your group called quickly you can leave after its done. The face to face is about 20ish mins from what they said. Im only packing a backpack and bringing it with me to the interview, in case Im stuck there until after check out time at the hotel. You could do that and then change your clothes after. Dang, wish I wouldve gotten 7am, and not 6am. An extra hour of sleep would be nice. Unless that was a typo on my interview email, but def says 6am for me...
They usually do the testing first, so you shouldn't have to be there earlier than anyone else. I'd confirm that.

When SWA did testing in person they at least gave people the ability to pick the day they wanted to do it, and one test was late morning the other early afternoon meaning it was easy to day trip that. AA went with the "show up this day at 0700" and that is that.

You went from it costing the company over $100 so they can't do it to rooms are only $40 so why can't you do it. Rooms cost upwards of $150-200+ depending where you stay, plus another $100ish for a rental car unless you uber, and then there is food. These are broke regional dispatchers who donate plasma to buy some milk. They could schedule the test and interview in a way that most could be in and out the same day and then this conversation is moot. They chose to do it in a way that makes it more difficult for people, maybe that is intentional like you suggested. Either way, best of luck to everybody that makes it out to DFW!

when I said you could find a room for $40-50, you personally can find one on a random website or you could even just go to a motel 6, but a company like AAL wouldn’t put someone in a motel 6..

I was a regional dispatcher and I was worked OT but I was still able to live comfortable because I had a budget nor did I go spend money I didn’t have.. the ones who I’ve ran into that had to sale plasma etc did it for extra spending money or because they didn’t budget accordingly.. it’s as easy as putting 10-20 bucks each check to the side to use for when you go interview some place for the first year you work at a regional.

The tests and interviews are done in the morning because the test takes 2-3 hours then another 1-2 hours depending on interviewing with AA front loading all the people who have flights. The testing is done in the morning allowing individuals to fly in night before meaning they could work then jump on an evening flight, and be back on a flight 15 hr later heading home, and if weather is something at DFW or whoever, you have the ability to get on multiple flights to get out instead of testing in the afternoon then you have 1-2 total flights left throughout the day…

Then they need to make a smaller pool by doing a video interview first or something like United does. Or just do the test online like Delta or Southwest. Where in the USA in 2022 are you going to get a $40-$50 hotel room lol this is hilarious. Also having to pay for an Uber and wait all day at the airport to get back home after taking a PAPER test / doing a group interview at 7am … I’m just saying it is off putting … shows their priority for this profession. Also these airlines need to stop with the ridiculous tests because I’m pretty sure dispatching experience at regionals / smaller cargo airlines is real life. Not some make believe land … let us not forget how much money all these airlines got from the government… and how much they save by using regionals … just saying .. also don’t be upset if you applied and got rejected with less than 2 years of dispatch experience … Why waste 250-330 peoples time and money when you are only looking to hire 60… again just saying

There are so many things in this that makes very little sense.. you want more TBNT letters going out sooner and off the bat instead of people actually getting a look, then you say do an online test like SW/Delta… Southwest has had the same test for years and it literally gives you the answers at the end of the test, so if you haven’t taken it before, take it then leave windows open and you will get a 100% on next test, ontop of you having to score over a floating score that changes day to day/class to class.. Delta you have to do a personality test and have to score X to potentially move on actual dispatcher test.. all these methods above have removed and kicked out some of the best dispatchers I know while some of the worst have gotten through.

“It’s off putting and shows their priority to the profession” yet AAL is paying triple time, with dispatchers only working 16-17 days a month and being one of the top contracts if not the top contract in all of dispatch in terms of pay/work hours/etc…

also, it’s not that simple of a swap going from a CRJ to a 777/787 but there are a lot more things you need to look out ontop of learning new computer systems, etc…

no idea what govt money has to do with taking a test at 7am or if they put you up in a hotel, But that govt kept the airlines afloat which has allowed for them to hire people now…

the bringing in of 250-300 also, allows for AA to build a profile and short list for in the future as well..

The one thing I agree with you is that AA does a one and done type thing which is nice

This alone makes me like AAL more. Apart from all the other perks. UAL seems similarly streamlined too. Compare it to other places hiring, and it just seems like too much. Like running manual flight plans as part of an interview. Can’t help but laugh. Sure, I’ll play along - lemme grab my handy dandy E6B and IBM DOS PC so you can test my computer literacy too.

But let’s be real, the reason they do this is because there’s no shortage of dispatchers wanting to move up.

Folks like to say this is some secret profession in aviation, which to some extent it is true. But it’s no secret. If it were that way you’d still have places sending you off to school to get your certificate as you work an assistant dispatch role. Republic comes close to this now, but I doubt it’ll last

I think the biggest thing to keep in mind is that the Majors have all the leverage in hiring. Everyone WANTS to work for one of the Big Five (Delta, American, United, UPS, FedEx, with Southwest, JetBlue and Alaska bringing up the rear) because they pay the best and have the best benefits in the industry. They all know this and thus can make whatever hoops people want to jump through to work for them. If they invite you to an interview but you have to set up your own transportation and hotel to get there, well I'm sure they see it as a way to show how committed you are to wanting to work for them. A small first step in the process, if you will. How much do you REALLY want the job? Enough to drop a few hundred for the opportunity? I'd say that's a decent investment to possibly make six figures in the future if they did decide to hire you.

It ultimately comes down to your choice in the matter. Do you want to be treated like a number until they find you worthy enough to not be one? Is it worth it to you to suffer through the annoying hiring process in order to comfortably make six figures within the better part of a decade? The choice is yours and yours alone. If you don't wanna play the game, you certainly don't have to, but complaining about it is a pretty useless endeavor when the Majors have and always will set the terms. If you want it, you have to grin and bear it, because those terms won't change any time soon.

This alone makes me like AAL more. Apart from all the other perks. UAL seems similarly streamlined too. Compare it to other places hiring, and it just seems like too much. Like running manual flight plans as part of an interview. Can’t help but laugh. Sure, I’ll play along - lemme grab my handy dandy E6B and IBM DOS PC so you can test my computer literacy too.

But let’s be real, the reason they do this is because there’s no shortage of dispatchers wanting to move up.

Folks like to say this is some secret profession in aviation, which to some extent it is true. But it’s no secret. If it were that way you’d still have places sending you off to school to get your certificate as you work an assistant dispatch role. Republic comes close to this now, but I doubt it’ll last

What major is making you run manual flight plans for your interview right now?

Have you looked into BNSF for dispatch? You sound a bit out of touch on how this industry actually operates. I’d suggest something other than wings and Jet A.

If you want the job, you’ll grind it out and do whatever you have to, to make it in this industry. All of us have, and will continue to. Step aside and let the people that want it succeed. Instead of complaining about it on the internet.

if you don’t like it, don’t apply. Please.

Did they ever mention how many they’re hiring and a start date? I don’t recall it being mentioned.

Back