Some Delta Application Pointers

Fair point. (I’m buying a house now.)
Overrated. Somehow there's always crap to fix. Mostly minor, but this spring so far
- showed up home 11pm one night, everyone is sound asleep, 64F in the house. Went investigating, furnace igniter cracked. Took a while to find a store that would have an exact replacement in stock, as I didn't feel like crimping connectors. Called father in law to grab one on his way back from the night shift so I'd have it 7.30am and save myself an hour plus of driving back and forth. 50 bucks all in and a couple of hours cut from my sleep.

Went to basement to find some water there. Out of the three pumps two were dead (for a while by the looks of it, neatly packaged away by the radon (tm) covers that were installed just before my better half bought the place) and one had the connecting coupling off due to the blocking of the pipe downstream. That's half a day gone plus I still need to find half an hour to silicone the damn covers back on.
Bunch of other misc stuff that either costs time or money or both.
I should transfer over to a warm base and live on a boat.

Overrated. Somehow there's always crap to fix. Mostly minor, but this spring so far
- showed up home 11pm one night, everyone is sound asleep, 64F in the house. Went investigating, furnace igniter cracked. Took a while to find a store that would have an exact replacement in stock, as I didn't feel like crimping connectors. Called father in law to grab one on his way back from the night shift so I'd have it 7.30am and save myself an hour plus of driving back and forth. 50 bucks all in and a couple of hours cut from my sleep.

Went to basement to find some water there. Out of the three pumps two were dead (for a while by the looks of it, neatly packaged away by the radon (tm) covers that were installed just before my better half bought the place) and one had the connecting coupling off due to the blocking of the pipe downstream. That's half a day gone plus I still need to find half an hour to silicone the damn covers back on.
Bunch of other misc stuff that either costs time or money or both.
I should transfer over to a warm base and live on a boat.
I look forward to that!

Can confirm. Bought a house a couple years ago. Spent lots of time and money fixing crap that should’ve been fixed already. Sold house last year and now rent. It’s pretty badass!

Don’t listen to them. Buying that house will be the smartest move you’ll ever make. Renting is for suckers.

Renting sometimes makes sense. Like moving across the country and having no clue how the area is, which neighborhoods are good to buy, shady areas, etc. you can only do so much research online for that stuff. And it’s not like you can make multiple trips on off days to explore and pick out the “good” areas.

So I’m renting. It gives me time here to explore neighborhoods, talk to people, and visit all the areas I want to see before we pull the trigger on a $850-1 mil house. I’d rather get it right the first time. Anyway, point being renting isn’t always for suckers. It can be a great short term means to an end.

Renting sometimes makes sense. Like moving across the country and having no clue how the area is, which neighborhoods are good to buy, shady areas, etc. you can only do so much research online for that stuff. And it’s not like you can make multiple trips on off days to explore and pick out the “good” areas.

So I’m renting. It gives me time here to explore neighborhoods, talk to people, and visit all the areas I want to see before we pull the trigger on a $850-1 mil house. I’d rather get it right the first time. Anyway, point being renting isn’t always for suckers. It can be a great short term means to an end.

If you can afford an $850k-$1 mil house. I suggest moving to AZ. That kind of money will buy you a friggin' castle in Phoenix. Versus what you'd get in L.A. Hell, even $350-500k house will get you 4500-5500 sq ft. And with Southwest, AA and AS. Or Skywest or Compass. You should have zero problems commuting to your line.

If you can afford an $850k-$1 mil house. I suggest moving to AZ. That kind of money will buy you a friggin' castle in Phoenix. Versus what you'd get in L.A. Hell, even $350-500k house will get you 4500-5500 sq ft. And with Southwest, AA and AS. Or Skywest or Compass. You should have zero problems commuting to your line.

I was just giving an example. I'm on reserve and will be a long time, so I'm not looking to move and commute to reserve. The current gig is pretty lucrative, live in base on reserve and the ability to pick stuff on days off (when you're not used on reserve days). You are correct that 850k-1 mil would buy a mansion in PHX - or pretty much anywhere that isn't CA/NY/NJ/ a select few other places.

Nah, still a sucker move. Sorry. But as someone who manages 400 rentals and owns 11, I’m thankful for the suckers. :)

You are of course assuming that a specific rental market is strong enough to cover the mortgage of buying a place in that market. Right?

Nope, not at all. Kalifornia has a lot of areas where mortgages are more expensive than renting. You’re still better off buying. Rent is just money flushed down a toilet to make someone else wealthy. If I’m paying $3,000 for a mortgage on a property that would only rent for $2,800/mo, I’m still far better off. Even at the very beginning of that loan, $700/mo of that mortgage payment is going back in my pocket as equity, plus the property is appreciating, plus I’m getting tax advantages. That $2,800 rent payment as an alternative? That money is just gone. Forever. You flushed it.

Back