Hiring and my driver license got suspended.

5ein3

Hello officers,

It happened recently and I am concerned about it so wanted to listen some opinions...

I am training to be CFI right now, and I'm 22.

Recently driver license was suspended due to parking ticket not being paid and I was summons to court, got the suspension to be "reduced". I was driving my car and officer pulled me over and told me that my driver license is suspended which I didn't know. The officer told me to court, got the summon agreement, eventually, I needed to pay for the reinstatement fee and my suspension was "reduced". This happened because I actually paid the parking ticket, but it was a little late to the deadline of the payment, and the caution letter was sent to my address but I didn't update my address so I didn't receive any which ended up with suspension.

In this case, when applying to airliner, will it hurt? Regional and Major airline.

Also, relating to driver record, will speeding, stop sign ticket hurt my application? I got a few of those tickets.

Hello officers,

It happened recently and I am concerned about it so wanted to listen some opinions...

Recently driver license was suspended due to parking ticket not being paid and I was summons to court, got the suspension to be "reduced". I was driving my car and officer pulled me over and told me that my driver license is suspended which I didn't know. The officer told me to court, got the summon agreement, eventually, I needed to pay for the reinstatement fee and my suspension was "reduced". This happened because I actually paid the parking ticket, but it was a little late to the deadline of the payment, and the caution letter was sent to my address but I didn't update my address so I didn't receive any which ended up with suspension.

In this case, when applying to airliner, will it hurt? Regional and Major airline.

Also, relating to driver record, will speeding, stop sign ticket hurt my application? I got a few of those tickets.

Be honest on your applications, because these events have a papertrail and your future employers will have access to this information.. Failure to disclose will almost certainly result in termination. The good news is that you are young, easy to explain this as being a youth. Plenty of pilots had have traffic infractions and "made it".

Next up, pull the driving record and court records in your state. That's the first place this will be recorded.

Second, contact the National Driver's Registry in Oklahoma and request your record. This is important, because if you did have a suspension or alcohol related infraction, it is recorded in the NDR. When you apply to an airline, they'll ask for consent to the NDR, and the NDR will tell the potential employer one of two things: No record or record, if the later it better align what you've disclosed on your apps. If it doesn't match the records they obtain (I.E. lie or omit it ever happened) - it won't be good.

Hello officers,

Disclosure is always your friend.

And how many is a 'few' when it comes to speeding and stop signs (bruh, what are you doing?! :) )

Disclose it...always

I've flown with guys that had DUI's, Assault charges and BnE charges...yet they are Airline Captains...sh*t happens, own up to it and move on.

Disclose it...always

I've flown with guys that had DUI's, Assault charges and BnE charges...yet they are Airline Captains...sh*t happens, own up to it and move on.

I think one of them is an FO again at another carrier! 💥

Why? It’s no different than any other blue collar job. We have people running for the highest offices in the country that have done way worst than anything that’s been mentioned here.

Agree and disagree here. Yes, there has been a precedent set at a very high level of government for sure. But I also think this industry should do better than "any other blue collar job"......we have hundreds of lives in our collective hands every flight.....many of us fly 500-1000 people in a day. They deserve better than that, and a •head engaging in breaking and entering or driving drunk. The part I agree with is that mistakes earlier in life can be forgiven. That being said, I think the bar for this career should be a bit higher than trench digger. Not trying to be an a hole, but there is a significant level of judgement and maturity required in this job. I have no reason to think we have erred to the contrary collectively, but I also don't think we are in a place where we need to consider it.

Agree and disagree here. Yes, there has been a precedent set at a very high level of government for sure. But I also think this industry should do better than "any other blue collar job"......we have hundreds of lives in our collective hands every flight.....many of us fly 500-1000 people in a day. They deserve better than that, and a •head engaging in breaking and entering or driving drunk. The part I agree with is that mistakes earlier in life can be forgiven. That being said, I think the bar for this career should be a bit higher than trench digger. Not trying to be an a hole, but there is a significant level of judgement and maturity required in this job. I have no reason to think we have erred to the contrary collectively, but I also don't think we are in a place where we need to consider it.
While I agree with what you say, just to play devils advocate. If the former and potential next leader of the free world can be a piece of •, why is anyone else held to a higher standard?

He also has numerous lives in his hands based on decisions he makes. Not to mention he has the support, love, and admiration of millions of Americans.

Again, I agree with what you say, but it plays into the larger issue of the degradation of our society and values, and the fact that so many are ok with it.

Very well said, and I agree with what you mostly said. I will say, the most productive, and best people I’ve flown with are people that have recovered after the hims program. I did some • in my teens and twenties that I’m not proud of ( although it was a fun time) only difference was I never got caught. As far as people’s life’s in our hands, some of the most deadly outbreaks have occurred from minimum wage food industry workers. I’ve been getting paid to fly for almost 20 years now, and met some amazing people, and some not so much… just like any industry.

I had a few wild years in my early 20’s, got out with a few blemishes but more importantly learned very quickly that decisions carry consequences in life.

If you were young (<23) when these issues happened, have learned from them and can explain how making those mistakes helped form a better you on the other side, you’ll be okay. Many told me the same, truth is it really depends on the hiring environment. The last few years are absolutely not the norm, so from here on out I believe that the competitive advantage will go to those without needing to explain blemishes. That doesn’t mean you can’t have a solid career, it will just be harder to climb the ladder, require more humility and proving at each job that you’re a person long removed from the marks on your record.

The hiring is very dynamic and timing is mostly everything. I’ll be the first to admit I wouldn’t have a chance at my current employer if it was 2014 vs now. I’m not even at the big 3. So you may have to re calibrate your career expectations and find gratitude in where you end up, which may not be United 787 CA flying to Tokyo twice a month. That’s okay, the job is still fun and pays a decent living half way up the scale as well.

Back