Some Delta Application Pointers

Nope, not at all. Kalifornia has a lot of areas where mortgages are more expensive than renting. You’re still better off buying. Rent is just money flushed down a toilet to make someone else wealthy. If I’m paying $3,000 for a mortgage on a property that would only rent for $2,800/mo, I’m still far better off. Even at the very beginning of that loan, $700/mo of that mortgage payment is going back in my pocket as equity, plus the property is appreciating, plus I’m getting tax advantages. That $2,800 rent payment as an alternative? That money is just gone. Forever. You flushed it.
Perhaps. But it is also a cheap insurance against buying a house in a place you won't like based on online reviews and ratings.
Temporary housing arrangements via corporate relocation programs help a lot, but are mostly inaccessible for pilots. I'd rather pay a year (7 months preferably) in rent and do a due diligence research on the area I've never lived in than deal with the closing costs of selling a mistake.

If you can’t figure out the area of town you’d like to live in by spending a couple of weeks in that city in an AirBnB, then I can’t help you. This isn’t really that difficult.

You don’t have kids, a wife, and a move across a country. It’s not easy. It’s no longer just about “me.” Hell if I was alone I would have bought a studio or a 1 bdrm somewhere in a high rise and be done with it. But now you have to look at the wife’s desires, the kids, their school, etc.

I got offered a temp relocation hotel for 30 days, but without the wife and 2 kids there too, it would have been moot. And if I moved across the country with them, I sure as heck didn’t want to move into a 30 day housing and then pressure ourselves to find a house quickly. I’d rather take it a year or two and make sure we find the right house in the right place, good neighborhood, and good schools.

And btw, your suggestion of just go buy a house, go all in, don’t ever rent, and don’t worry because property will always appreciate, are among the many reasons the housing bubble happened last decade. People had no business buying a home they couldn’t afford on the assumption things would always go up, up, up.

You don’t have kids, a wife, and a move across a country. It’s not easy. It’s no longer just about “me.” Hell if I was alone I would have bought a studio or a 1 bdrm somewhere in a high rise and be done with it. But now you have to look at the wife’s desires, the kids, their school, etc.

I got offered a temp relocation hotel for 30 days, but without the wife and 2 kids there too, it would have been moot. And if I moved across the country with them, I sure as heck didn’t want to move into a 30 day housing and then pressure ourselves to find a house quickly. I’d rather take it a year or two and make sure we find the right house in the right place, good neighborhood, and good schools.

And btw, your suggestion of just go buy a house, go all in, don’t ever rent, and don’t worry because property will always appreciate, are among the many reasons the housing bubble happened last decade. People had no business buying a home they couldn’t afford on the assumption things would always go up, up, up.

Okay, keep flushing your money. I did my part.

Don’t worry, I too will at some point be making those 360 payments. It’s not like I’m renting forever. And btw, I got my NJ property managed and rented out. If it wasn’t for the property manager fees, I’d be making $1,000/month on that property. But as it stands the prop manager takes 10% so I get + $730/month made on that house in NJ.

Believe me, I get it. That’s why I won’t be a long time renter. Just enough to find the good areas, due diligence, good schools, and make sure everyone is happy. If the price to pay is a 1 yr lease rents for that, I consider it as a small price to pay to make sure our long term 30 yrs is in the right place.

@Derg sorry for the thread drift, but SJI's PR team is stoopid for approving the Bachelor dude and letting him wear Captain wings on his otherwise FO uniform. That show just personifies shallowness and has d-bag written all over it. What an embarrassment.

fef88n.jpg

e0ubp.jpg

@Derg sorry for the thread drift, but SJI's PR team is stoopid for approving the Bachelor dude and letting him wear Captain wings on his otherwise FO uniform. That show just personifies shallowness and has d-bag written all over it. What an embarrassment.

fef88n.jpg

e0ubp.jpg
I’d say they did their job. You’re talking about it.

Actually, that’s the second worst. The worst is getting married. A kid will cost you about a quarter mill by the time it reaches 18. A marriage has no upper limit on how much it can siphon from your net worth.
I agree with your math.

I have been lucky/smart enough to have ended up in a financially viable position (contemplating retirement), that we have more than enough options (/money?) than we need for our life/travel plans.

That said, I will guaran-god-damn-tee you that my net worth is not what is bringing me the most joy and happiness. My step-children (yes, they are not technically “my” kids) have been a great investment. I get so much more joy from being with them, and their children, than anything I could possibly have spent a quarter mil on. The best part is that I know the time and money and effort are going to make a difference for the world down the road. Bonus appreciation!

Maybe a little background on my background will give some perspective. My father, who is 89 years old this year, is personally planting a couple of hundred hard wood trees on his land that won’t be harvested for around a hundred years. His personal satisfaction from doing so far exceeds his (substantial) net worth.

Everyone’s priorities, wants, and needs are different. It is just as wrong for me to negatively judge your materialism as it is for you to to presume other’s goals are misguided just because they are not solely fiscally driven.

I agree with your math.

I have been lucky/smart enough to have ended up in a financially viable position (contemplating retirement), that we have more than enough options (/money?) than we need for our life/travel plans.

That said, I will guaran-god-damn-tee you that my net worth is not what is bringing me the most joy and happiness. My step-children (yes, they are not technically not “my” kids) have been a great investment. I get so much more joy from being with them, and their children, than anything I could possibly have spent a quarter mil on. The best part is that I know the time and money and effort are going to make a difference for the world down the road. Bonus appreciation!

Maybe a little background on my background will give some perspective. My father, who is 89 years old this year, is personally planting a couple of hundred hard wood trees on his land that won’t be harvested for around a hundred years. His personal satisfaction from doing so far exceeds his (substantial) net worth.

Everyone’s priorities, wants, and needs are different. It is just as wrong for me to negatively judge your materialism as it is for you to to presume other’s goals are misguided just because they are not solely fiscally driven.

Everyone always makes the mistake of thinking that money is about materialism. It’s not. It’s about security. It’s about freedom. It’s about options. It’s about peace of mind. Etc.

Everyone always makes the mistake of thinking that money is about materialism. It’s not. It’s about security. It’s about freedom. It’s about options. It’s about peace of mind. Etc.
Sorry, I really was presumptive putting “materialism” on your mantel. I actually agree 100% that wealth, at least in our current society, brings the options and potential peace of mind that can be difficult to obtain when you don’t have them.

My point remains, which is that even the security and peace of mind that financial well-being brings is not necessarily the be-all/end-all.

I think I’ve talked before about my experiences working in some middle-eastern countries back in the 1980’s, and being surprised that there were people that had nothing, financially, but were still alive and vibrant and joyous and enjoying life.

Sorry, I really was presumptive putting “materialism” on your mantel. I actually agree 100% that wealth, at least in our current society, brings the options and potential peace of mind that can be difficult to obtain when you don’t have them.

My point remains, which is that even the security and peace of mind that financial well-being brings is not necessarily the be-all/end-all.

I think I’ve talked before about my experiences working in some middle-eastern countries back in the 1980’s, and being surprised that there were people that had nothing, financially, but were still alive and vibrant and joyous and enjoying life.

You’re only vibrant and enjoying life without money until you or someone you love gets cancer. Then suddenly wealth is a lot more than just a luxury.

I’m not disagreeing with you that it’s not a panacea. I know some miserable people who are very well off. But given the choice, I’d say you’re far better off focusing on wealth creation than other pursuits.

Back