Norwegian Hiring 787/777 FO's FLL

I know. Hence my desire to leave. Just got snap rejected by Allegiant

But my question is if I bailed on a 121 like Norwegian to get hired at a 121 in the US.

Would the 121 consider the fact I was bailing on a training contract?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Minor detail but I think Norwegian is a part 129 operator.

There are plenty of widebody CAs in FLL/MIA flying at US carriers like Amerijet (767), Florida West, Centurion, and the other widebody cargo outfits out of Florida, and they all pay less than what Norwegian may offer.
Yes, but you have to have some really troubled past to go fly for one of those places. Those are the last place you can find employment as a pilot before seeking out the scummiest 135 operators. And I'm honestly not sure which is worse.

Yes, but you have to have some really troubled past to go fly for one of those places. Those are the last place you can find employment as a pilot before seeking out the scummiest 135 operators. And I'm honestly not sure which is worse.

When I was at my regional and virtually no major was hiring, I applied to Centurion (MD11 FO), Amerijet (727), Florida West (767), Miami Air (737), USA Jet (DC9), and I think two more whose names escape me at the moment. It's amazing what one can be willing to do to escape the regionals. I never heard back from any of those places after applying.

Well, what exactly was the initial reason being against Norwegian shuttle in the first place? It was the fear of a shady operation registered in one place, titled in another (if you will), crews under a Thailand contract, and sub-standard conditions compared to western airlines.

But now that they are offering American contracts, in full accordance with American labor laws, based at Fort Lauderdale, paying a rate they think will get American pilots to work for them, what's wrong with that? If the conditions or pay are truly substandard, no one will go there and the pay will have to come up.

There are plenty of widebody CAs in FLL/MIA flying at US carriers like Amerijet (767), Florida West, Centurion, and the other widebody cargo outfits out of Florida, and they all pay less than what Norwegian may offer. Add the other fact that guys for any number of reason(s) never get the call to fly for a legacy, are they supposed to just not accept any job in order to ensure Legacy pilots aren't harmed?

Sorry, but I can't get on the ALPA Armageddon boat of Norwegian anymore. Not since they are offering American-based jobs for American-certificated pilots.

And don't forget.... a lot of pilots here (through ALPA) were against my current employer. Lawsuits were filed. Huge petitions and screaming done in DC. It worked well enough to put my company under the citizenship test. It successfully delayed our launch from the initial target of 2005/2006 into Aug 2007.

Make no mistake. If ALPA pilots had it their way, my employer wouldn't have existed and I wouldn't even have a job. No, Virgin America wasn't a foreign airline. No, Branson wasn't going to create the next Delta here. No, it wasn't going to set up more foreign rich businessmen to start airlines in America. No, we weren't going to be foreign citizens working in the USA. Instead, we hired US pilots, with US certificates and medicals, US citizens, and earning US dollars, based in the USA. In fact, we became a safe haven for the tons of permanently furloughed pilots from ALPA carriers like Aloha, Midwest, and those airlines that went belly up in 2006-2008. Our payrates weren't great (pretty bad actually), but the market tanked 6 months after we started. Once it turned around, we did get pay raises. Our pay didn't hit legacy wages, but did fall competitively in the jetBlue-Spirit-Frontier-Allegiant-Sun Country LCC market rate. And in the end, we became a successful Major airline that caught the attention of one legacy airline that ended up buying us.

Happy ever after? Who knows. But if ALPA had it its way, we would have never been here.

When it comes to certain airlines, ALPA loves to scream them some bloody murder. I take the good ol step back and ask myself, "Is this something that basically affects only legacy pilots, especially widebody ones?" Once that musters a "yeah" I pretty much move on.
ME3 is a big-3 legacy airline threat. The other majors (Alaska/Virgin/jetBlue types) all codeshare with them. And why not? If someone has to get from Spokane, WA to Dubai, why not be able to buy a ticket on Alaska that moves them from GEG to SEA, and then connect to an EK 777 from SEA-DXB? This way both Emirates and Alaska profit from it. It's not like Alaska/Virgin/jetBlue types are going to Europe or the Middle East or Asia any time soon. So may as well let the airline codeshare and make money through connections. The ones that stand to lose are legacy widebody pilots. Since that doesn't apply to me, why should I be against something that directly profits my employer?

That is a loooooooong speech, congratulations.

But I said nothing about ALPA.

When I was at my regional and virtually no major was hiring, I applied to Centurion (MD11 FO), Amerijet (727), Florida West (767), Miami Air (737), USA Jet (DC9), and I think two more whose names escape me at the moment. It's amazing what one can be willing to do to escape the regionals. I never heard back from any of those places after applying.
You didn't indicate that you had a felony dui and pending charges for vehicular manslaughter. Have to meet the minimums.

Detroit to Toronto also made guys four-engined-jet international captains.

n527xj-mesaba-airlines-british-aerospace-avro-rj85_PlanespottersNet_261968.jpg
giphy.gif

Been up for 24 hours and of course i get home and I'm wide awake.

I remember those days. Europe to NYC, not tired, watched movies on break. NYC to PHX, watched movies and babysat the forum. Got home, poured a cocktail or three, up until 0400.

Detroit to Toronto also made guys four-engined-jet international captains.

n527xj-mesaba-airlines-british-aerospace-avro-rj85_PlanespottersNet_261968.jpg

There are people that count Lauderdale-Bimini as "extensive international experience". Lauderdale-Orlando is a longer leg, and still talking to Miami center most of the way.

Sent from my Startac using Tapatalk.

There are people that count Lauderdale-Bimini as "extensive international experience". Lauderdale-Orlando is a longer leg, and still talking to Miami center most of the way.

Sent from my Startac using Tapatalk.

My recruiter buddy talked to guy that flew BOS to BDA a few times and was stating it was "oceanic, transatlantic experience with numerous ocean crossings"

My recruiter buddy talked to guy that flew BOS to BDA a few times and was stating it was "oceanic, transatlantic experience with numerous ocean crossings"
See, I totally respect that. It has the advantage of being true, first off, a conversation starter, second off, and humorous to cap the bill.

Now, some of that depends on the character of the person—if they're otherwise painfully earnest and sternly serious, then I might find it questionable. Otherwise... rock on, Mr. International Pilot Man!

Or do we at the pilot recruiting department not have a sense of humor that we're aware of?

-Fox

International it may be, but the sign on the next gates (look above the cockpit with the four throttles) says "Aeroporte Montreal," not "Toronto."
They drank more back in those days. Carbohydrates, Hydrocarbons... Montreal, Toronto, meh, it's Canada, eh? Have another beer!

Back