Norwegian Hiring 787/777 FO's FLL

I feel your pain.

"Well, at Compass, we'd keep the cabin crew for the entire trip"

"You don't want their work rules, trust me"

tumblr_mp5vs0eJjA1r9g4gho1_400.jpg

MRW someone says "look at the cool scheduling feature they have, why don't we have that?"

(because we don't have the sucky features too, duh)

Where is China Southern's operating certificate based? Where do they fly?

Where is NAI's operating certificate based? Where do they fly?

This does address ONE of the issues brought up, but not the bigger problem.

NAI has an Irish operating cert with EI- registered planes. The Irish gov't grants waivers to foreign pilots to fly their registered aircraft, but it also looks like guys will have to get their EASA license and medical within a certain time frame. So eventually it'll be Americans flying for a European company between the US and Europe with European licenses. Americans flying for China Southern have CAAC licenses and medicals too, so really a very similar situation.

NAI has an Irish operating cert with EI- registered planes. The Irish gov't grants waivers to foreign pilots to fly their registered aircraft, but it also looks like guys will have to get their EASA license and medical within a certain time frame. So eventually it'll be Americans flying for a European company between the US and Europe with European licenses. Americans flying for China Southern have CAAC licenses and medicals too, so really a very similar situation.

If NAI (the company, no the pilots) was based in Ireland (the country it is registered in) like China Southern is based in China (the company it is registered in) then there wouldn't be an issue.

Norway doesn't have EU Open Skies rights so if they want to fly from anywhere OTHER than Norway to the US. And, as nice as a place as Norway is, that's not a really big market. Hence the Irish registration even though they really don't plan on operating out of Ireland too much. Or basing crews there. Or doing MX there. Or anything else really.

If NAI (the company, no the pilots) was based in Ireland (the country it is registered in) like China Southern is based in China (the company it is registered in) then there wouldn't be an issue.

Norway doesn't have EU Open Skies rights so if they want to fly from anywhere OTHER than Norway to the US. And, as nice as a place as Norway is, that's not a really big market. Hence the Irish registration even though they really don't plan on operating out of Ireland too much. Or basing crews there. Or doing MX there. Or anything else really.
I agree with you BUT the issue is with the Irish regs, not the airline looking to take advantage of them. Ireland is known for having lax business laws and if the effort was spent on changing the Irish regs, we'd fix the problem at the source.

I really don't want to play "host" to Irelands labor and business laws here on US soil.
A lot of US tech companies are already doing that. The best that could happen with Norwegian is that they vote for a union and improve their conditions.

Who is the employer of those pilots? NAI, NAS
or any other Norwegian subsidery or is it a contract with OSM Singapore? I doubt that NAI etc. will hire those crews, they will rent them.

Ugh...Yeah no. For people who want to get heavy jet international experience, but are not quite competative for the majors yet, Omni is always looking for FO's on the 767...

Ugh...Yeah no. For people who want to get heavy jet international experience, but are not quite competative for the majors yet, Omni is always looking for FO's on the 767...
I think every ACMI carrier is looking for people.
#fourthtier

Let's not forget that you'd be working for a contracting firm out of Singapore. Not Ireland.
I hear they love unions.

The contract is with OSM Aviation, apparently they have a FLL office and are headquartered in Cyprus (which is in the EU). I'm not sure where the info about Singapore comes from, maybe their European pilots are staffed by an agency based there?

@Skåning -

That's cool, but this is a fight that I don't want played out on our shores.

Nope.

Either you understand the threat or you don't. I really haven't the interest, personally, to hold court for the issue.

The whole crux of the issue for me is that there are so many other injustices in US aviation that should be addressed first, before going after Norwegian. Things like poor first year pay at Sprirt, Frontier, and until recently, Allegiant. The plethora of South Florida sketchy 121 companies and the race to the bottom with supplemental 121. Not to mention the whole crap show that is the regionals and how they're represented by the same union that their low wages supplement at mainline.

Maybe it's a forrest through the trees but I just dont see how everyone makes a big stink about this while we have so many larger issues effecting American pilot jobs.

Back