RIP AMF OAK

A small operation out of RDD is doing a lot of UPS work with 402s in the NorCal region. I think their airplanes are all GPS equipped too. Funny thing is that I've heard one or 2 of their pilots make snarky comments about KC, and I am unable to really argue with them.
I know a few that were AMFers

Its sad to see a base die that could be one of the more busier bases in the company. All because of an individual who could care less, and would rather doodle on graph paper like a special needs child.

Its sad to see a base die that could be one of the more busier bases in the company. All because of an individual who could care less, and would rather doodle on graph paper like a special needs child.

:bounce:
By the way, I DID mail that thing in.

Who is the base manager now or was? It's been several years since I was there

Who made the video?

It's a pretty fitting tribute to the final days there. I would get depressed just being upstairs with the empty classroom, offices and conference room. It was like a ghost town. One couldn't help but think about the hundred (maybe even thousands?) of pilots that cut their freight doggy teeth in that place over the years. I still don't see why the focus couldn't have been shifted away from checks- especially since AMF claims to have anticipated this drop in business over a decade ago.

I'm not a business man by any stretch, but obviously the infrastructure was there to continue regional cargo ops for years to come. And coinciding with that decline in bank work was an increase in internet based business that is heavily reliant on shipping. OAK was already a cargo hub of sorts (mostly Fed Ex, but still...).

So a couple of grubby Caravans and 402s control 95% of the UPS and DHL regional work instead of [allegedly] the biggest and best 135 cargo company in the country? (No offense, Redding and Martinaire) I don't get it.

Wait... considering the base manager of AMF East Bay :def: I think I do get it. No wonder the pilots from other companies are cracking jokes about him by name!

Who made the video?

It's a pretty fitting tribute to the final days there. I would get depressed just being upstairs with the empty classroom, offices and conference room. It was like a ghost town.
Such a good point. I always felt like at that bases pinnacle, it was something amazing. Busy pilots, dispatch, people in offices etc. Of course when I see major industry die down, I feel sad.

Back