Yet another late bloomer.....looking for a little guidance

Re: Yet another late bloomer.....looking for a little guidan

I guess my avatar didn't make it obvious enough. (A300Capt) + (pic of a UPS Airbus)= UPS A300 (Airbus) Captain:sarcasm::D Sorry, couldn't risist!:cwm27:

I wouldn't say I'm bored because I still enjoy the actual flying aspect of my job. It just seems the BS wagon that surrounds what I do, like a lot of other jobs nowadays, just gets bigger and heavier each year and that seems to more and more overshadow the real reason I got into aviation.

Is there something else I'd prefer over aviation? Right now probably not as much, besides none of them pay as much, however, I do have other interests that I'd like to pursue after retirement from UPS (hopefully within the next 10 yrs).

Yeah, I saw that after I posted it;)

I've always heard that UPS is a great company to work for as far as benefits/QOL go. Glad to hear you still enjoy the flying aspect of your job. I know what you mean as far the horse puckey side of things unfortunately. My current job has had it's share of that since I started in 2000:banghead:

You want a BS wagon laden w/ catch-22's try 19 yrs in law enforcement... just kidding. :D

Every job worth doing has its BS wagon it seems. The more responsibility the job entails the heavier the wagon I think.

I totally agree, anything worth doing isn't easy and most good jobs/careers has it's share of politics. If it were easy, everyone would do it:)

Crutch,

I am paying about $62 /wet for a DA-20. intructor is about 30 an hour. I work in IT for a Financial company. I know what you meant about the first time u. My first time i was scare $$$$less. Thought i was crazy for ever wanting to do this. But once i got in the place it was over i knew this was a dream come true. Now it all about finding the time to get a couple of flights in week. My work doesn't always allow it, but you know the same if there is a will there is a way.

jbail

jbail,

Sounds like we're in virtually the same boat. Also sounds like the rates are pretty much the same. If I can get in the air once a week, I'd be happy. All it takes is money and time, as you know;)

So true. Most on this site will tell that the big flight school are crap. But i tell you what, if i had the cash i would be at one as we speak. MONEY MONEY.. I guess the fact that I'm not rich i hope that aviation will continue to be a blessing to me. Everytime i line up at the end of a run way i feel like the luckiest guy on the earth. I just hope the butterflys will stop. I still get a bit nervous on my way to the airport for a lesson. Beside my relationship this is one of those things were i just want to be the best i can.

:laff:
So true. Most on this site will tell that the big flight school are crap. But i tell you what, if i had the cash i would be at one as we speak. MONEY MONEY.. I guess the fact that I'm not rich i hope that aviation will continue to be a blessing to me. Everytime i line up at the end of a run way i feel like the luckiest guy on the earth. I just hope the butterflys will stop. I still get a bit nervous on my way to the airport for a lesson. Beside my relationship this is one of those things were i just want to be the best i can.

The butterflys will go away once you get a bit more comfortable behind the yoke:rawk: I know the feeling, I think most of it is just excitement to be in a plane ready to take off to sky!

I agree, I would go to a big flight school too, if I had the money and a block of time to do it in. Though, I refuse to put my family into debt like that just so I could come out and make $25k a year:banghead: Hell, I can make that cooking steaks at Tumbleweed. I'd rather go the FBO route, come out virtually debt-free, and make $25k a year:laff:

Ya know, sometimes when I really think about it, it kind of pisses me off that a guy driving a garbage truck makes more $$$$ than a First Officer flying SIC on a turboprop commuter.

You want a BS wagon laden w/ catch-22's try 19 yrs in law enforcement... just kidding.

15 years in firefighting--------------------:D:D:D

26 is a great age to get into aviation!! but il would advise to finsh your degree in a non-aviation subject. So that if anything were to happen (losing medical etc.) you have another trade to fall back on instead of starting from begining

Thanks! I JUST landed after my first time in a Cessna 150:rawk:. A guy I know has been flying for years and took me up for the first time a few hours ago. Before I went up I thought this is what I want to do, now I know it is! He let me take off and control the plane in flight:nana2:

What job were/are you coming from? It's awesome to be doing something I enjoy for a change!

I'm probably going to stick around the Zanesville area. There's a small-time operation here in town that seems like a good deal with a great instructor. Does $85 an hour sound about right? That's what they charge. What do you pay for an hour in Cinci? Congrats on your decision to switch careers!

I am guessing that you are looking to train at Parr ? They are nice people over there. I fly out of Zanesville Municipal (KZZV).
I was also a career changer. I worked in the Air Traffic Control/Air Operations world for 9 years, left the Royal Air Force ( I'm a Brit ), worked in IT for three years and then pursued a flying career when I moved across the pond to my wife's home town (Zanesville).

When I moved over here I got a job working line service at ZZV while working on my licenses and ratings. Like you, I didn't want to amass a huge debt. It took me a little longer but I think it was the right way to go in my case. Good luck and feel free to PM me with any questions you may have.

Welcome. You sound a lot like me. I am in insurance too. I started flying when I was 19 (I'm now 37) and still have dreams of having an aviation career ~ life happens. Over the years, I've gotten my commercial/instrument and will be picking up my ME ticket in January '08.

I think you would want to finish that degree. Perhaps you can find a school with a degree in Aviation that's in your area and you can get the ratings and the degree all at the same time. I have a friend who flys for Continental and he tells me that they toss resumes all the time from people who have all kinds of experience in heavy aircraft like 747's, 767's, etc. because they don't have the paper and last time I looked, their official position about pilots and degrees was that it's "preferred". Go get your degree.

As for insurance, keep your license active. I'll never let mine go, even when I am flying full time. Insurance is a commoditiy and your experience and understanding of coverage, etc. is something that not every Joe on the street has. Even a rookie who just passed his license exam is going to need a few years to learn what you already know. If you ever need a back up, you've got one. My goal is to be flying for one of the regionals by late 2008 and preferably by March 2009.

Good luck to you.

Hello all--I'm new to the forums and this is by far the best one I've seen.

I'll start with a little background about myself. I have wanted to fly planes since I can remember and I'm finally going to start my PPL:rawk: I'm 26 with a wife and two young kids. I have been an insurance agent for 6 years now. Started out working for my old man then he sold and I kept working for the new owner. He promptly closed down my office and fired everyone in it. Long story short I started for another agency 4 months ago and I realized I hate insurance. He probably did me a favor in the long run though.

I have read many threads on this site and did a search on the importance of a degree. It is apparent that if I ever want to get past the regionals I'll need the paper. I have accepted that as a pre-requisite. I have nearly two years of college credit completed. My ultimate goal is to fly for a nice corporate outfit or a major airline. My plan is to hold down a full-time job (might be insurance, might not be) and get my PPL while working. After I get the PPL I plan to finish my degree in something besides aviation. From there, I'll garner as many hours as possible and maybe become a CFI to help me along with gaining hours. After I obtain enough hours, I plan to apply heavily for a decent flying job.

Here's my question to you JCers: Does my plan look/sound do-able? What would you change if it were you? What would you do different? Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated. Sorry for the long first post.

--Crutch[/quote]

Quite an irony how many people in here are in the same boat. I am 25, career fire fighter, in Cincinnati who is attempting a career change. I am about to enroll at the University of Cincinnati. For those interested in the degree its a great option. Two years worth of aviation stuff, gets you PPL, INST, COMM, ME is an option and then you can get a CFI and teach while you do two more years in the business school. Sounds like a great thing to me. I hope to be applying to the regionals in about two and a half years. Anyone got any info or currently in the UC program?

I'm at the beginning stages myself, but I'm 31. . And needing a degree. After spending my 20's in restaurant management, I decided it was time to follow my dreams. Support from the family is an amazing plus! I also have about 2 years of college under my belt. I don't know if this will help you, but my plan is to go back to college full time and get my degree asap. I'll be going to OSU to get a degree in Aviation Management. (I really just want a degree, and Aviation Management will hold my interest) While working towards my degree, I'll be taking a few lessons, and hopefully have my PPL at the end of school. Then head to a flight school (ATP, etc.) to knock everything else out. I hope this helps you out a bit. I'm new to this website as well, and the information I've found here has helped me out a lot. It's comforting to find people that have the same mind set, determination, and passion for flying as myself.

Good luck to you!

Welcome..we are all in the same persuite! yeah right now I also work full-time,attend night classes to get my A/P and try to squeeze in 3-4 days of flight training a week. I'm curently working on my instrument ratings. It's possible..and you've come to the right place (JC)..follow your dream!!!

Nalu

Welcome, I am in the process of my instrument rating as well!! I work double full time but in 35 days :)nana2:) I will be free to finish my training-I have an associates degree but I am doing the online thing finishing my bachelors (which I started 10 years ago).

I mostly lurk but I can tell you this forum is full of good and useful information.

Again welcome and good luck!

Hmm I wonder if Flying Crutchman still looks in on this thread.

Back