"With you"

so I understand that instead of saying departing 5 to 9, we should say, at 5000 climbing to 9000. But what's is the proper thing to say, instead of "with you", what did the instructor teach you about that. I'm only a private pilot and during flying following, if a controller hands me off, I usually check in like this, "New York Approach, SkyhawkN12345, with you at 2000." If your instructor said, don't say with you, then can you tell me how he wanted you to say it, when being handed off to a new controller. Thanks

I usually check in like this, "New York Approach, SkyhawkN12345, with you at 2000." If your instructor said, don't say with you, then can you tell me how he wanted you to say it, when being handed off to a new controller. Thanks

"Level" is the term you're looking for....as in, "level, 2000."

"Level" is the term you're looking for....as in, "level, 2000."

I got corrected (reprimanded?) by a senior pilot recently for doing just this. He said it should be "wherever approach beer can 7732 two thousand level"
His reason was if you were in the flight levels you would say "flight level 190" and saying level before your altitude below the flight levels could be confusing depending on circumstances (which type of controller, aircraft type etc.).

Thoughts?

I think the controller would understand the intent when I said "two thousand" instead of "two zero zero".

In this case, "level" is indicating what you are doing. If I were climbing, I'd say "passing 1400 for 2000". It's no different than saying you are "VFR at 1500".

i miss my lazy 'Merican airport.
gone are the days of "ABC ground 123 at AirBP request taxi 27, got Bravo"

Now I have to rattle off "ABC Ground Partenavia 123 southern apron received bravo for a departure to <AIRPORT> via <INITIAL WAYPOINT> request taxi"

standard down here is long. too long. Australia: where more is less and less is more. More or less....

and not even God could save you if "With You" is mentioned.

so I understand that instead of saying departing 5 to 9, we should say, at 5000 climbing to 9000. But what's is the proper thing to say, instead of "with you", what did the instructor teach you about that. I'm only a private pilot and during flying following, if a controller hands me off, I usually check in like this, "New York Approach, SkyhawkN12345, with you at 2000." If your instructor said, don't say with you, then can you tell me how he wanted you to say it, when being handed off to a new controller. Thanks

Facility name, callsign, altitude or climbing/descending to, restriction. Simple as that.

Phoenix Approach, Cessna 12345, 3000. [heading 030 or with restrictions, if restricted]

I got corrected (reprimanded?) by a senior pilot recently for doing just this. He said it should be "wherever approach beer can 7732 two thousand level"
His reason was if you were in the flight levels you would say "flight level 190" and saying level before your altitude below the flight levels could be confusing depending on circumstances (which type of controller, aircraft type etc.).

Thoughts?

Why say "level" at all? "two thousand" says it all.

Wait till you guys fly in Europe and you get to say things like "flight level five zero".

Or better yet, London Control and their "climb flight level three-hundred." :)

What's up with the vectors with London? First, it's "cleared direct Koksy" then they call back 20 seconds later and say, "maintain present heading report heading on London Control 135.575" Grr! Stop. Making. Me. Put.Down.MY BREAKFAST! :)

What's up with the vectors with London? First, it's "cleared direct Koksy" then they call back 20 seconds later and say, "maintain present heading report heading on London Control 135.575" Grr! Stop. Making. Me. Put.Down.MY BREAKFAST! :)

Man, I haven't been across the pond since April. I go to the Fatherland next week, so I guarantee that third decimal point is gonna screw my day up. :)

What am I missing Doug?

Doesn't "beer can 1234 two thousand" cover it for a check in after a handoff if you're level at two thousand?

At twenty thousand wouldn't it be " beer can 1234 flight level two oh oh"

Haha, I was bored and reseraching this topic a bit and came across the article from avweb in 1998:

http://www.avweb.com/news/avtraining/183269-1.html

Complying with this instruction is simple. First acknowledge the new frequency by repeating the ATC facility name and frequency the controller gave you. For example, "Fort Worth Center on one-two-eight-point-five, Trainer zero-zero-zero-zero-zero." Then tune the new frequency and check in. "Fort Worth Center, Trainer zero-zero-zero-zero-zero , WITH YOU at six thousand." If you're climbing or descending when you check in, say "Fort Worth Center, Trainer zero-zero-zero-zero-zero, leaving four-thousand for six-thousand."

Back