"With you"

Why...why does this have 159 responses - dammit - 160 with my addition! .
This is one of those subjects that is just so much fun because it's so silly. You can start a "with you" or "any traffic please advise" thread on any aviation forum and get this kind of action.

I have a personal semi-flexible rule that I stop contributing to threads after 30 posts because it's rare that there is anything worthwhile said after that. "With you" is an exception because there's usually nothing worthwhile said from the very beginning. It's just kinda fun. As Flip Wilson once said about prejudice, "Everybody needs a little recreation."

"Anytown traffic, Cessna-Skyhawk-November... 12345, clearing the active runway, Zero Seven, with you...
any other traffic please advise, last call, Anytown traffic."

There! 6 Things that make you sound like a tool, all in one call.

I'm still waiting for one heroic controller to respond to "with you" with something along the lines of "No, I'm in a center, you're in the sky. You aren't with me.". One day, one day...

I'm still waiting for one heroic controller to respond to "with you" with something along the lines of "No, I'm in a center, you're in the sky. You aren't with me.". One day, one day...

Considering the amount of difficulty I've heard some pilots having with English, that is sure to confuse them beyond measure.

Does being the only aircraft on the frequency at 0400lcl count? :)

Yep. lol, I've done that moving boxes around at 4 in the morning

- Center "Freighter 1234, say altitude,"
- me "Altitude" - then a pause
- me "just kidding, Flight Level 200."
- Center chuckling - "roger, just wanted to see if you were alive out there, I haven't talked to anyone in about 45 minutes. OK, well descend pilot's discretion to 4000' cleared any approach at the ABC airport."
- me "Any approach?"
- Center "Sure, you're the only one on frequency within 400NM....so yeah, cleared direct to any initial fix, and cleared any approach you can do."

It's almost nicer when things are done in a friendly way, it's too bad the airspace isn't empty more often.

Yep. lol, I've done that moving boxes around at 4 in the morning

- Center "Freighter 1234, say altitude,"
- me "Altitude" - then a pause
- me "just kidding, Flight Level 200."
- Center chuckling - "roger, just wanted to see if you were alive out there, I haven't talked to anyone in about 45 minutes. OK, well descend pilot's discretion to 4000' cleared any approach at the ABC airport."
- me "Any approach?"
- Center "Sure, you're the only one on frequency within 400NM....so yeah, cleared direct to any initial fix, and cleared any approach you can do."

It's almost nicer when things are done in a friendly way, it's too bad the airspace isn't empty more often.

Yeah, those are fun times. I do like the peace, quiet, and stars.

Considering the amount of difficulty I've heard some pilots having with English, that is sure to confuse them beyond measure.
Ha. And that's just spoken English.
A friend of mine had to correct his boss's written usage of the word "hanger" to mean a place where you keep an airplane, in official correspondence with the FAA...

Heard a regional pilot the other day respond to the controller telling him that the new altimeter was 30.07 by saying "James Bond on the meter".

I heard any traffic please advise enough times this morning, I was thinking about responding to airport calls I'm no where near with something along the lines of - well I wasn't going to make ANY position reports, but since you asked, now I'll not be a jackass.

Had a guy the other day shooting approaches while I was in the pattern with a student. Guy went on for what seemed like a minute "we are uhhh on the uhhhhh approach GPS uhhh RNAV GPS uhhh Coeur d'Alene...uhhh north of HIPRR... uh we will terminate this with a missed approach uhhhh Coeur d'Alene... uhhh Traffic."

I looked over at my student pilot and said "do you have any clue where that pilot is?". He looked at me concerned and said "uhhh no", as if he had done something wrong. So I went on to explain why that guy was a total • bag and how to make meaningful concise radio calls.

Back