"With you"

Say it the way the cool kids do, loser.

ZOMG, Like did you like hear his check in, like I'm so sure.

I scour the FBOs of the nation looking for tail numbers, linking them with pilots, and delivering severe lectures on proper radio phraseology. It's dirty work, but someone has to do it.

BTW, taking donations for my broken Ray-Ban fund.

I'm going to say this again, 95% of controllers could care less if you say "With you" so why other pilots care is beyond me.
caring.png

THREE FAIVE OH SUGA POP TWO POYNT FIVE FOR FIIIIIIIIVE THOUSAND!@

UP TO TWO THREE OOOOH, HERE WE GO!

Oh, btw, we got im on the fishfinder!

95% of controllers don't care.

95% of other pilots think it makes you sound like a moron.

Just today- 3 in a row. I'm pretty sure just because of the first one.

Pilot 1: "Orlando approach, Cessna 12345, with you, at 2,500."
Pilot 2: "Approach, Cirrus 6789, uhhh... with you, 2,000 we're climbing up to 4,500."
Pilot 3: (Chinese-student-pilot-accent) "Orlando approach, Cessna 54321, climbing through 900 for 1,500... -long pause- with YOU."

I don't know why I have a problem with it? But, I almost had a stroke when that last kid said 'with you'!

95% of controllers don't care.

95% of other pilots think it makes you sound like a moron.

Just today- 3 in a row. I'm pretty sure just because of the first one.

Pilot 1: "Orlando approach, Cessna 12345, with you, at 2,500."
Pilot 2: "Approach, Cirrus 6789, uhhh... with you, 2,000 we're climbing up to 4,500."
Pilot 3: (Chinese-student-pilot-accent) "Orlando approach, Cessna 54321, climbing through 900 for 1,500... -long pause- with YOU."

I don't know why I have a problem with it? But, I almost had a stroke when that last kid said 'with you'!

That last one is pretty funny, but I personally don't care much. As Stone Cold said, it's certainly not proper FAA/ICAO phraseology, but you'd be surprised at just how many experienced crews say it, even ones who fly almost exclusively international. I get a chuckle out of "Ankara, ShinyJet 123, uh, HEAVY, with you at three-six-oh." :)

That last one is pretty funny, but I personally don't care much. As Stone Cold said, it's certainly not proper FAA/ICAO phraseology, but you'd be surprised at just how many experienced crews say it, even ones who fly almost exclusively international. I get a chuckle out of "Ankara, ShinyJet 123, uh, HEAVY, with you at three-six-oh." :)

Not that I ever remember to do it or that I think you're implying otherwise, but aren't you supposed to say heavy on your initial call-up, even to enroute ARTCC-type facilities, per ICAO document 4444? Maybe a better question would be, "which countries actually want/expect ICAO phraseology ;) ?"

I know I know, super dorky, doesn't matter, etc but when you log 50 hours where the only button (ahem, sorry, "switch") you get to press is "radio transmit" your mind wanders to scary places like this :)

I have been curious about people's opinion on this though, since it's seems pretty ridiculous to add "heavy" in someplace like Hong Kong where 90%+ of all traffic qualifies......
heavy.jpg

heavy2.jpg

heavy3.jpg

It's basically the equivalent of "ummmm." Unnecessary, conveys no information, but harmless.

Favorite story was from a posting on another board:

==============================
I stopped saying "with you" cold turkey (it had slipped into my pilot speak) when I heard Philly Approach talking to a GA pilot late one night.

Cessna 123: "Philly Approach, Cessna 123 with you, two thousand five hundred over Woodstown, Mike".

Philly: "Cessna 123, Uniform is NOT the current information, squawk three zero three one and my name's Mike too how do you do."

(there was a stunned silence as the Cessna tried to figure it all out)

Cessna 123: "Ah Philly, I didn't say Uniform. Um, I have the current information - what was that squawk?"

Philly: "Actually Cessna 123, you did tell me you had Uniform - I have it on tape - the word 'with' precedes the ATIS information code - you want to try again".

(More silence and then maybe a realization)

Cessna 123: "OK Philly, Cessna 123 with...shoot...over Woodstown with information Mike".

Philly: (Emphatic) "Good Evening Cessna 123! I see you over Woodstown, two thousand three hundred and Mike is current, squawk three zero three one and say intentions".
==============================

Philly: "Actually Cessna 123, you did tell me you had Uniform - I have it on tape - the word 'with' precedes the ATIS information code - you want to try again".

(More silence and then maybe a realization)

Cessna 123: "OK Philly, Cessna 123 with...shoot...over Woodstown with information Mike".

That's pretty good and would cure someone for life.

Not that I ever remember to do it or that I think you're implying otherwise, but aren't you supposed to say heavy on your initial call-up, even to enroute ARTCC-type facilities, per ICAO document 4444? Maybe a better question would be, "which countries actually want/expect ICAO phraseology ;) ?"

I know I know, super dorky, doesn't matter, etc but when you log 50 hours where the only button (ahem, sorry, "switch") you get to press is "radio transmit" your mind wanders to scary places like this :)

I have been curious about people's opinion on this though, since it's seems pretty ridiculous to add "heavy" in someplace like Hong Kong where 90%+ of all traffic qualifies......
heavy.jpg

heavy2.jpg

heavy3.jpg

Learn something new everyday!

Can't say I've ever heard it overseas other than by random American pilots, though. :)

I can't say "heavy", but I can say "aerodrome"! Awesome. "Aerodrome in sight, cancel IFR, old boy, what, hmm!"

Back