"With you"

"By your command"
ROGER ROGER
Just remember you can't hear what the controller is saying (i.e. yelling to the others in the room) before he keys up the mic.
Or what the rest of us are saying on the frequency without keying up. Seven legs at low altitude in SoCal yesterday = tired of hearing Cirrus pilots check in as "123AB with you ..." on about leg two of seven. :D
Or the other pilots saying to themselves or their crewmembers.. listen to this jackass.
I just groan, personally.
"with you" "checkin in" "onboard" are useless filler words that make you sound like a backbirth.

I'm on a quest to eliminate filler from my radio calls (other than a good morning/afternoon/evening on initial checkin with tower/ground). Cherokee base to final six Hoonah. Tower AirTaxi Ninety-one, battleship. Left Charlie contact ground AirTaxi ninety-one.
I still catch myself using "aaaand" or "comin' up on" more frequently than I'd like. Also the occasional "uhhhhh" when I don't remind myself what my destination is before I click the button. Point soandso two point five for uhhhhhhhhh Haines.
In that spirit, don't hesitate to use plain English if it gets the point across. I keep mine to a minimum because I'm lazy, and quiet airtime is at a premium at the hubs.

Wait, you're 29 and on a 767? You wanted to "stop flying" so soon????? :D

Hey I turn off the magic and declare an emergency every once in a while. Also included are lavs you can stand up in, coffee by the push of a button, and hot meals. :D

Just reference the AIM in the US and ICAO document 4444 if you're flying overseas; try to stick to that script. You'll never please everyone though; for instance in the UK, ATC apparently blows a gasket if you say altitude passing during your initial check in, whereas it's required everywhere else on the planet . "With you" isn't in any sanctioned phraseology reference that I know of, so I'd recommend avoiding the phrase. The only time I catch myself saying is it when a controller calls out my callsign on frequency but I haven't had a chance to check in yet. I guess I only use it as as a way of saying "yeah I'm here but I haven't had a chance to call you yet". Even then, I still shouldn't say it.

Every time some says "checking in with you, onboard" a baby harp seal gets clubbed.

Sent from my TRS-80

That's nothing.

I've had guys check in with, "Hey it's 2409 three five."

What they meant was: "Departure, Acey 2409, three thousand climbing five thousand."

Every now and then I have a student say "with you" on a handoff and then look at me with an mischievous look :rolleyes:

I will say this, when you are checking on from a non-radar area to a radar area, i.e. Oceanic to Domestic flight. "With you" is the most annoying thing I hear, because then I have to spout a line of stuff that you could have told me. Instead "ShinyJet 123, 5 miles southwest MAFIC, Flight Level 3-9-0." so all I have to say is "ShinyJet 123, Oakland Center, radar contact, <Then what ever I need to do with you>"

Thank you, that is all.

That's nothing.

I've had guys check in with, "Hey it's 2409 three five."

What they meant was: "Departure, Acey 2409, three thousand climbing five thousand."

Wait, it's "Acey", not "A-C"??? If it's the previous, I'm not sure I can take that company serious anymore!!! :D

I've seen a couple of strings/posts in the past regarding the use of "with you."

With this latest string, I thought long and hard about how many pilots actually do it and I realized I've never really noticed it.

So yesterday I decided to do a little experiment. I scrounged up a piece of paper and a pen that actually worked and decided to take a little "with you" poll.

I stopped counting after 30, when I saw I had 17 check marks in the "with you" column. All air carriers.

You guys are naughty. Well, at least half of you are ;)

I had a CA a few days ago who would say this on initial contact:

"Center ABC123, two fifty"

Now, was that a heading, altitude or airspeed?:bang:

As an aside, the one thing that REALLY grinds my gears is hearing "roger that". Let's leave the CB talk out of it please.

The call November blah-blah-blah, downwind, base to final 36, podunk traffic". ---

Is my pet peeve. Not only only do I not know where you are, you took 5 minutes to not tell me.
Yeah isn't it great when people start telling you their Match.com profile over the frequency, meanwhile the guy on a 4 mile final whose on fire can't get an emergency call in because you're (not you personally) too busy telling people what your favorite sushi is...

Back