"With you"

Heard a good "with you" on London Control on this last trip from a Southernjets pilot. Stuck out like a sore thumb. Derg :)

I had a "Top o the mornin' to ya" from an Aer Lingus crew yesterday morning...

Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

And crave Lucky Charms and warm beer, but that's not the point here.

I just mispronounce every airport name when they use CTAF. Gainesville becomes Gainesburg and so on.

If you're at 2,000....there is almost zero chance (probably actually zero), that you'd be talking to the same person at FL200. So, 'Mr. Reprimand' may just be a tool trying to pass off technique as procedure (there's plenty of guys like that.....and that's a topic for a separate discussion). It's far too late for me to bother looking it up in the P/C glossary, but I don't think the distinction between "level" before or after the altitude exists.....but I could easily be wrong on that one too.

I routinely fly in areas where I'm as low as 3,000, and I can hear both sides of the conversation happening at 340 and higher. ATL and HOU centers. Just depends on workload and local agreements of how to divide the traffic.

In many parts of the country (and a whole lot of the world), the same person is controlling airspace at 2,000 and 20,000.
In fact the "standard" although not strictly held in the US is usually FL240 and below and FL250 and above.

What you will see happen is what we use here in Canada, and many other icao compliant nations, is making the "main" division at the base of RVSM airspace since that is generally the big natural traffic divider.

Fl280 and below and FL290 and above.

In fact the "standard" although not strictly held in the US is usually FL240 and below and FL250 and above.

What you will see happen is what we use here in Canada, and many other icao compliant nations, is making the "main" division at the base of RVSM airspace since that is generally the big natural traffic divider.

Fl280 and below and FL290 and above.

if you took off in a rocket in the approach control below me, you would talk to an approach controller, and four different center controllers if nothing was combined up. ground - 10,000, 11-23, 24-30, 31-35, 36+

if you took off in a rocket in the approach control below me, you would talk to an approach controller, and four different center controllers if nothing was combined up. ground - 10,000, 11-23, 24-30, 31-35, 36+
For sure, same up here in certain sections of airspace around the busier airports. Speaking in general terms of course. Canada is a big country

Surprised "tally ho" hasn't been mentioned. I tell my students if they ever say that calling out traffic they'll be looking for a new instructor.

Controllers have some gems too. building time in Florida overnights this summer I heard, "navy 21, navy altimeter 2995, navy winds calm, contact navy tower 118.5, have yourself a navy day" almost snorted five hour energy out my nose.

Surprised "tally ho" hasn't been mentioned. I tell my students if they ever say that calling out traffic they'll be looking for a new instructor.

Don't forget that there are lots of pilots flying in the National Airspace System in public-use aircraft who have entire careers where "tally" actually, by regulation, means "traffic in sight".

Hackhadn't post: 1980912 said:
Don't forget that there are lots of pilots flying in the National Airspace System in public-use aircraft who have entire careers where "tally" actually, by regulation, means "traffic in sight".
Good point, hadn't thought of that!

Why...why does this have 159 responses - dammit - 160 with my addition! Who cares? If the guy sounds like a doofus on the radio, there's not a lot I can do about that. Follow the AIM, and speak plain English when it makes more sense. I think we have beat this dead horse enough to know now that it's by and large irrelevant.

Back