Who has the best internship?

clayfenderstrat

After visiting Purdue University, I was given a list of employers who commonly have a partnership with Purdue in their internship programs. Could you guys tell me which companies have a good program, and who would be good to work for as far as pay and schedules go. I know that seniority means everything in this industry, so I'd like to go somewhere where I can stay and have a good experience. Please let me know if you fly for any of these companies, attended their internship programs, or have any information that will help me out in the years to come.

Internship Partners:

Alaska Airlines
Aloha Airlines, Hawaii
American Airlines
ATA Airlines
Atlantic Southeast Airlines
Boeing
Cessna
Chautauqua Airlines
Comair
Continental Airlines
Delta Airlines
Duncan Aviation
Eagle Creek Aviation
Eagle County Regional Air
FAA
Mesaba Airlines
Midwest Airlines
NASA
Northwest Airlines, Inc.
Southwest Airlines
United Airlines
UPS
US Airways Express

Thanks for all the help guys!

I would have picked Aloha, but sadly they are no more:(

I would pick Delta directly after that because they are a large company and are going to get bigger if the DL/NW deal goes through!

Good luck!

I don't know much about airline internships, but if you have a chance to take an internship with an engineering company (Boeing, Cessna, Lockheed), take it!

My understanding is many airline internships are non-paid. Engineering internships are always paid (and paid quite well for a summer job for a college student). If you get hired by Boeing in Everett, Renton, or the general Seattle area, they have an amazing flying club (Called Boeing Employees Flying Club). Google it. They have an amazing selection of aircraft with the cheapest rates I have ever seen. Same goes with Cessna in Wichita (Called the Cessna Employees Flying Club). Great fleet of aircraft that are subsidized by Cessna (cheap!). On top of that, Cessna will pay entirely for your private pilots license if you work for them. Many aviation engineering companies do this (Avidyne will pay for your next license or rating, whether it is Private, Instrument, Commercial, Multi, CFI).

If you are going to Purdue, I would highly recommend getting an engineering degree. They have a great engineering program (Aerospace and Mechanical). It would be a great backup if you get laid off or furloughed from an airline. You would learn a lot that would help you in your flying. And you will have the opportunity to get great internships like I mentioned above.

If you are going to Purdue, I would highly recommend getting an engineering degree. They have a great engineering program (Aerospace and Mechanical). It would be a great backup if you get laid off or furloughed from an airline. You would learn a lot that would help you in your flying. And you will have the opportunity to get great internships like I mentioned above.

Aerospacepilot I am going to be totally honest here and say that while your posts are often very detailed and informative, you're a young kid and a newbie by most peoples definition in aviation and sometimes I think you add a little too much fluff in your posts and come off as a know it all. I don't know if that's the general consensus around here, but I'd just thought I'd point that out and suggest you be a little more careful with your posts.

In regards to the actual question posted I am mostly going to tell you what I have heard from past people who did the internships. Continental's internship is paid from what I've heard so if you are looking to make a few extra bucks I'd check it out since it is one of the few that is paid as aerospacepilot mentioned. I have heard from peeps at my old school who did the Alaska airlines internship that it's great because a lot of it is really involved in the flight ops and you get a few perks like the ability to travel to a few places of your choice the airline flies to for free. Somewhere like Southwest is more of the business aspect of the airline when I did my research on it last year.

If I was you I would go for a major airline if you're interested in the airlines since there would probably be a lot more going on and since they are much more difficult places to get a job, you could have the opportunity to make a lasting impression so that when you go back to apply for a job you will see some familiar faces that will remember you. Of course it all depends on your interests. I noticed some charter companies were listed in there too give those a try if you may want to pursue an aviation career outside of the airlines. Don't put so much pressure on yourself with this "seniority is everything" comment you made earlier. You're young, enjoy the remaining years of your youth, the airlines arent likely going anywhere. Think of an internship as a way to get your feet wet in the industry and also as a networking tool that will enhance your chances of getting a job with the company you worked as an intern at if they like what they see from you.

I have a college buddy who interned with Southwest for two summers, one after his junior year and then after his senior year. Then, he did his masters in one year and immediately got hired by Southwest after graduating and was placed into a management position. So, it definitely paid off for him in the long run. He did it the smart way too, skipped out on all this regional airline drama, and got a job with a major airline in a non-flying position right out of college.

If you want to stay around the Indiana area, I believe Chautauqua (Republic) has a decent internship program. I know they were letting some of them run sims during pilot interviews, not sure what else they end up doing. We built a new training center, I'm sure they are involved with stuff there... Also seems there are a good deal of pilots around here that were from Purdue...

I would tell ya to go with an internship that would make you happy, for a company that you would like to work for, and enjoy your time there.

I only did one internship (Comair) while i was still in school.....and i really would have like to do another with a major. But i couldnt afford to stay enrolled as a student at Riddle for longer. So it was rush rush rush for me.

But my time spent there was some of the best times i've had. Met alot of great people, had free travel passes on DL/DL Connection, worked hard and learned alot.

The Comair internship (back in Fall 2004 at least) was unpaid. If that has changed-i'm not sure.
Also back at the same time-ASA's internship was paid. I'm sure someone else with alittle more up to date info could fill in on those.

After graduating from HS my 18 y.o. nephew got a internship job a Palm (pilot) at $16/hr. My other nephew is a junior at Wharton school of Business and is working this summer as an intern on Wall Street for $5000/mo.

It is incredible to me that the airlines don't pay their interns. Isn't there a law about minimum wage?

I have heard good reviews about the airline internships at Atlantic Southeast Airlines, Continental Airlines, Delta Airlines, Southwest Airlines, and UPS. Assuming you maintain a good relationship with the company during the internship, you often have a foot in the door at the hiring interview. Remember, the internship is a learning experience designed to supplement classroom instruction; it also provides an opportunity to see inside a company and determine whether the company might be a good match for future employment.

As for seniority, unless the internship is a pilot position with a seniority number, most internships do not place you on the seniority list. The seniority list typically references hire date into a PILOT position.

The manufacturing companies you identified also have reputable internships. Another company with a good flight operations internship has been Raytheon (now Hawker Beechcraft) in Wichita, Kansas. Raytheon has used the internship as a stepping stone to full-time employment upon completion of the 6-month assignment. Several interns have received type ratings within a year, I believe.

Aerospacepilot I am going to be totally honest here and say that while your posts are often very detailed and informative, you're a young kid and a newbie by most peoples definition in aviation and sometimes I think you add a little too much fluff in your posts and come off as a know it all. I don't know if that's the general consensus around here, but I'd just thought I'd point that out and suggest you be a little more careful with your posts.

I am not sure what you are upset about. People ask questions and I try to give them detailed and informative answers. I don't post to hear the sound of my own voice, nor do I post so I can prove to people I am a know it all. I post to answer peoples questions and give sound advice about something they asked for advice on. I give them the same advice I would give myself, my family, and my best friends.

If you have a problem with a particular post, challenge me on it on the forums, or feel free to PM me and we can discuss it. Different people have different opinions. But don't brush me off because I am "young and a newbie." Does that mean my advice is invalid? What if I have much more experience and knowledge in a subject than someone who is older than me. Aren't you in the same boat I am. Should you not be allowed to give your advice because you are young and don't have years of experience in certain subjects? I don't think age has anything to do with your ability to properly answer a question. Just so long as you do not pretend to answer something you really have no clue about. I will let the person who asked the question decide if they want my advice or not.

As for my post that you quoted, allow me to explain my opinion:

A popular view held on these forums is to not get an aviation degree. Since you do not need an aviation degree to get an aviation job, why not get a degree in something different than aviation to use as a back up. Engineering, business, accounting, meteorology, whatever you'd like. The advice I gave was if you are going to Purdue (a great engineering school), why not get an engineering degree. It would be a great back up in these days of highly turbulent times in the airline industry. I can tell you from personal experience that you will learn a lot of stuff that will help you in flying. And I can also tell you from personal experience that there are great internships available with aviation companies on the engineering side.

What do you disagree with? Am I not qualified to give this opinion? I would argue that I am as qualified as anyone to give this opinion.

BTW, I have received two separate PM's in the last 24 hours from people saying they are not sure what your complaint is, and thanking me for my continued contribution to the Jetcareers community.

I am also not sure what you would like me to change, but I can tell you I will continue to give people detailed and informative posts regardless of my age. Time to get back to contributing positively to this community. If you have an issue with a particular post/piece of advice, ask me about it and feel free to PM me.

Aerospacepilot.

Back